Re: [videoblogging] My Videoblogging Website

  • ktcopsey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 16, 2010
      not sure what you mean by customizable. Do you mean the bliptv side or your
      website. I have just started and use vimeo and blip as they are too long
      for youtube (17-20mins). If you want to see them - they are
      _http://vimeo.com/user1350437/videos_ (http://vimeo.com/user1350437/videos)
      I can get them onto facebook if that is any help but I haven't tried my
      blog or web page yet.
      Kate

      Kate Copsey
      Garden Writer
      _www.katecopsey.com_ (http://www.katecopsey.com/)
      _www.americaswebradio.com_ (http://www.radiosandysprings.com/)
      blog: _www.katesgardenjournal.com

      In a message dated 7/16/2010 7:11:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      philipmanktelow@... writes:

      Hello, I am a newbie to videoblogging. I have been going for just over a
      month now on YouTube and Blip.tv
      The thing is both YouTube and Blip.tv user pages aren't very customizable
      so I made a Blogger.com blog but that too isn't very customizable. Can
      anyone suggest a good customizable website i can post videos too.

      That would be very helpful.

      Thank you,
      Philip

      _ (http://www.katesgardenblog.com/) _http://www.youtube.com/philsthoughts_
      (http://www.youtube.com/philsthoughts)
      (http://www.katesgardenblog.com/) _http://philipsthoughts.blip.tv_
      (http://philipsthoughts.blip.tv/)

      (http://www.katesgardenblog.com/)

    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 16, 2010
        On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 3:50 AM, philipmanktelow
        <philipmanktelow@...> wrote:

        > Hello, I am a newbie to videoblogging. I have been going for just over a month now on YouTube and Blip.tv
        > The thing is both YouTube and Blip.tv user pages aren't very customizable so I made a Blogger.com blog but that too isn't very customizable. Can anyone suggest a good customizable website i can post videos too.

        Get your own web site using Wordpress.
        Only costs a few dollars month, and if you get a web host that has
        SimpleScripts or some other single-click install system then it's
        trivial to set up a Wordpess Blog (among a ton of other stuff). You
        can literally do it in 30 seconds with a single mouse click.

        I use Hostmonster.com, but there are countless others.

        Dave.
      • RatbagMedia
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 16, 2010
          Here's a few of Blogger template samples that should suit single episode presentation:

          http://ipodtouch-btemplates.blogspot.com/
          http://randomness-notelog.blogspot.com/
          http://multimedia-blog-deluxetemplates.blogspot.com/
          I've also used
          http://hemingway-black.blogspot.com/2006/07/hemingway-template-for-blogger-black.html
          http://hemingway-white.blogspot.com/

          There's also the new Bloggertube
          http://btemplates.com/2009/blogger-template-bloggertube/demo/

          dave riley

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "philipmanktelow" <philipmanktelow@...> wrote:

          > Hello, I am a newbie to videoblogging. I have been going for just over a month now on YouTube and Blip.tv
          > The thing is both YouTube and Blip.tv user pages aren't very customizable so I made a Blogger.com blog but that too isn't very customizable. Can anyone suggest a good customizable website i can post videos too.
          >
          > That would be very helpful.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Philip
          > http://www.youtube.com/philsthoughts
          > http://philipsthoughts.blip.tv

        • Pranab Chatterjee
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 16, 2010
            Thanks Dave! That was a great list!

            What about Posterous? With the introduction of static pages, free custom domain (if you own it), ANY file type, no upload hassles, etc. it does seem like a nice way out for newbies like ourselves! The lack of different types of templates is also a bit of a problem though!

            And isn't bloggertube ONLY compatible with the Youtube.com links? Again, that's a rider I hate!

            Cheers,
            Pranab

            Pranab Chatterjee, MBBS
            Medical College, Kolkata, India

            http://blog.pranab.in

            pranab@...

            Mobile: 0091 98 361361 95

            To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
            From: ratbagradio@...
            Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 03:31:44 +0000
            Subject: [videoblogging] Re: My Videoblogging Website

            Here's a few of Blogger template samples that should suit single episode presentation:

            http://ipodtouch-btemplates.blogspot.com/

            http://randomness-notelog.blogspot.com/

            http://multimedia-blog-deluxetemplates.blogspot.com/

            I've also used

            http://hemingway-black.blogspot.com/2006/07/hemingway-template-for-blogger-black.html

            http://hemingway-white.blogspot.com/

            There's also the new Bloggertube

            http://btemplates.com/2009/blogger-template-bloggertube/demo/

            dave riley

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "philipmanktelow" <philipmanktelow@...> wrote:

            > Hello, I am a newbie to videoblogging. I have been going for just over a month now on YouTube and Blip.tv

            > The thing is both YouTube and Blip.tv user pages aren't very customizable so I made a Blogger.com blog but that too isn't very customizable. Can anyone suggest a good customizable website i can post videos too.

            > That would be very helpful.

            > Thank you,

            > Philip

            > http://www.youtube.com/philsthoughts

            > http://philipsthoughts.blip.tv

          • Rupert Howe
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 17, 2010
              Posterous and Tumblr are really good options for non-geek
              videobloggers. I think they beat Wordpress.com, Wordpress.org and
              Blogger blogs for ease of use & features.

              Wordpress.com hosted blogs have a lot of media and code restrictions,
              that aren't great for videoblogging.

              Wordpress.org self-hosted blogs are too much unnecessary work &
              complication for a non-geek videoblogger, in my opinion. I've set up
              a lot of Wordpress self-hosted blogs for people, and they get confused
              when it comes to maintaining, updating, if things go wrong, etc. And
              are particularly vulnerable to hacking.

              Blogger is simple but ugly and not as feature-rich or useful as Tumblr
              or Posterous.

              Posterous allows you to post blog posts and media really easily via
              email, mobile, or desktop. And then will distribute your media out to
              dozens of social media sites & sharing sites.

              Tumblr allows a bit more customization and code, and has a big
              community of users who read your updates easily via the Tumblr
              Dashboard. Commenting is a bit less elegant IMO (more about Likes &
              Reblogs) and you don't have the easy distribution that Posterous gives
              you.

              Personally, I use Tumblr for easy reblogging of things I find on the
              web, and Posterous when I need to set up a new videoblog for a
              specific project like a festival.

              Rupert
              http://twittervlog.tv

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 17, 2010
                Rupert,

                That was a great summary! I have had a stab at both tumblr and posterous, but the freedom associated with the user experience, imo, was more with posterous.

                I agree, nothing beats a wordpress.org installed vlog, but the flip side is that with things like tumblr, posterous and wordpress.com, you have a community ready to dig into your work immediately. For a self hosted blog, some time is needed before the recognition comes. And this is more for newbie bloggers, who need a little "encouragement/incentive" as they start off, right? And with not so much SEO experience to back us up, it does get a little difficult, imo.

                Same can be said for hosting the vlog videos on sites like youtube or blip, where there is a user community to interact with you (more on youtube than on blip, imo).

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 17, 2010
                  I also experimented, using Blogger, with channel networks and show players
                  http://videoactiv.blogspot.com/
                  while making much use of Vodpod.

                  The point being that you can bend Blogger templates by hacking them every which way.

                  But as to what constitutes the best design for a videoblog -- I really don't know.I think the invention is yet to come.

                  dave riley
                • Pranab Chatterjee
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 17, 2010
                    Bloggertube looks like a good template, though I don't like the colors much!

                    :)

                    To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 18, 2010
                      Hello Phillip,
                      my experience is that blog site are text based and don't handle video
                      well; video storage sites don't handle discussions and social networking
                      very well.
                      * * *
                      Many people use a combination of both...
                      vimeo is $60 a year for pro accounts... store as much as you want.
                      many free blogs permit linking to video in your blog...
                      for advanced access and customization on a blog, it'll cost... as will
                      the extra storage...
                      * * *
                      So, if you use an inexpensive blog that you like, you can link to your
                      video hosted and stored on another inexpensive site that you like ...
                      most hosts even permit YT links and have players embedded so the visitor
                      to your blog can view the video right in the blog without leaving the
                      site...
                      * * *
                      My whole point: you don't need a customizable blog that also stores
                      video - use your budget for what you can afford to get the best of both
                      services if you can't find them both in the same place...

                      I hope that helps... without insulting your intelligence...

                      Until that time... Earl J.

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "philipmanktelow"

                      * * * clip * * *

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 18, 2010
                        Since I'm a Blogger blog user this exchange has got me hacking.I appreciate the challenge serving up video online presents even though you have to leave snippets of your output all over the web -- YouTube, BlipTV, Facebook, etc so that your blog site is secondary to your media presence.

                        Using a template by Quite Random -- my favorite Blogger template designer -- inspired by the simplicity of blip tv, I tweaked my episode presentation so:
                        http://ratbaggy.blogspot.com/2010/02/lifting-kettlebell-february-2010.html
                        trying to work out a logic...such that the top page carries a little more info:
                        http://ratbaggy.blogspot.com/

                        Since I'm a facebook junkie I'm always trying to make best use of that resource. BlipTV ap is very useful there as is the options offered by YouTube for sharing videos.

                        I also utilizer NetworkBlogs
                        http://www.networkedblogs.com/
                        for most of my online stuff as it is a way to automatically port content to facebook. In Blogger if you ferret out each label's feed you can selectively send specific content to facebook that way but it's a good idea to add a "Video" marker in the title so folk know it's multimedia.

                        I also use Vodpod a lot for packaging content -- mine and others.

                        http://vodpod.com/

                        And the best thing is that all these services/platforms are exploitable for free! Such a cheap way to go viral~!

                        dave riley
                      • David Jones
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 18, 2010
                          On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 9:56 AM, RatbagMedia <ratbagradio@...> wrote:

                          > Since I'm a Blogger blog user this exchange has got me hacking.I appreciate the challenge serving up video online presents even though you have to leave snippets of your output all over the web -- YouTube, BlipTV, Facebook, etc so that your blog site is secondary to your media presence.

                          I've never really seen any advantages from having such a wide
                          distribution, but YMMV.
                          My blog site actually generates more ad revenue than all of my other
                          channels combined, so I'd hardly say it's secondary.

                          > And the best thing is that all these services/platforms are exploitable for free! Such a cheap way to go viral~!

                          I agree. Just add time, talent and/or luck and the sky's the limit!

                          Dave.
                        • John Coffey
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 19, 2010
                            Damn I'm loving Posterous more and more every day. I'm fairly competent about my Wordpress.org blog but it's such a workload to FTP the pic and video, then upload to Blip to get the Flash file I use.
                            John

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 19, 2010
                              Alright! Just a passing query: how much storage and bandwidth are we allowed there?

                              To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
                              From: jimmycrackhead2000@...
                              Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:39:27 -0700
                              Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Re: My Videoblogging Website

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 26, 2010
                                On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Pranab Chatterjee
                                <pranabchatterjee@...> wrote:

                                > Rupert,
                                >
                                > That was a great summary! I have had a stab at both tumblr and posterous, but the freedom associated with the user experience, imo, was more with posterous.
                                >
                                > I agree, nothing beats a wordpress.org installed vlog, but the flip side is that with things like tumblr, posterous and wordpress.com, you have a community ready to dig into your work immediately. For a self hosted blog, some time is needed before the recognition comes. And this is more for newbie bloggers, who need a little "encouragement/incentive" as they start off, right? And with not so much SEO experience to back us up, it does get a little difficult, imo.
                                >
                                > Same can be said for hosting the vlog videos on sites like youtube or blip, where there is a user community to interact with you (more on youtube than on blip, imo).

                                Ease of building an audience for a new blogger really depends upon
                                your subject material.
                                It will be easier to build up a niche subject blog with good keyword
                                material for example than it would say a personal daily life blog. But
                                as is almost always the case, building an audience takes time.

                                The stats on Wordpress.com are sobering:
                                "277,259 bloggers, 349,873 new posts, 361,312 comments, & 75,031,393
                                words today"

                                How do you stand out from over a quarter million other bloggers on
                                Wordpress? The only answer is of course SEO. But you don't need SEO
                                technical experience, just awareness that people will find you by
                                searching for things. And for that they use Google and (increasingly)
                                Youtube as the search engines. Who searches on Wordpress.com for
                                example compared to those two biggies?
                                So regardless of where your blog is hosted, it's all about having good
                                specific titles and text so people can find you in searches.

                                For my own blog, I'd estimate that well over 90% of my audience have
                                and continue to find me via specific searches for things they are
                                interested in.

                                Dave.
                              • Pranab Chatterjee
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 26, 2010
                                  Emailed the Posterous Help blokes with the same query andreceived a reply within 12 hours! That was quite impressive in itself and what was more impressive was the reply that I got. Here it is:

                                  Hi Pranab,

                                  We don't actively monitor the space our users use. The 1GB limit is
                                  just a guideline to dissuade spammers not to overrun our site.

                                  Thanks,

                                  Suyash

                                  Pranab Chatterjee wrote:

                                  Hi,

                                  I am sure that the answer to this question is embedded somewhere in you
                                  FAQs but let me just be lazy and ask you via email and see how this
                                  works out!

                                  Got couple of queries for you on storage space issues:

                                  1. How much space do we have per blog?

                                  2. Is it expandable? (Please don't say that it is a premium offer!)

                                  3. If I have multiple blogs on the same account do the different blogs
                                  each have individually X GB of storage or do all th blogs put together
                                  have X GB of storage.

                                  BTW, I love the ease of having a posterous blog and I look forwards to
                                  bringing more friends and family to posterous ASAP! You guys are doing
                                  an awesome job. Keep rocking!

                                  Regards,

                                  To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com

                                  From: jimmycrackhead2000@...