Fwd: MetaChannels.com

  • Joly MacFie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2010
      I got this in the mail. I'm not really into monetising my stuff so much, but
      I thought it might be of interest to some here.

      Or do you think it's another Veoh?

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2010
        I honestly don't know, and I have a hard time giving companies like this the
        benefit of the doubt. I got the same generic email. It makes me wonder if
        companies will ever learn, just treat people like real people and they'll do
        the same. These "dear blogger" or "dear person whose work we would like to
        exploit for financial gain" emails don't do much for you in the positive
        sentiment department.

        On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

        > I got this in the mail. I'm not really into monetising my stuff so much,
        > but
        > I thought it might be of interest to some here.
        >
        > Or do you think it's another Veoh?

        > Hi,
        >
        > Our company, MetaChannels, is interested in licensing your Web video
        > content for syndication. MetaChannels syndicates ad-supported Web video
        > programming to cable and satellite TV, mobile, desktop media players, and
        > hundreds of other devices and apps. We manage hosting, transcoding, and
        > ad-insertion and delivery, providing incremental revenue for Web-based
        > publishers like you - with no additional costs.
        >
        > In August, we have a series of new distribution Affiliates launching to
        > 20 million new viewers through satellite TV and media players. We'd love
        > include your video programming in this launch. Setting up syndication only
        > takes you a few minutes and you can remove your videos from the service at
        > any time. You can take a look at our Publisher Portal
        > <http://metachannels.com/meta_channels/login>to learn more.
        >

        > Best,
        >
        > Chris Finocchio, Manager of Content Licensing
        > MetaChannels <http://www.metachannels.com> Palo Alto, California
        > 94301
        >
        > Telephone: 650-470-7510 Email: chrisf@...

      • compumavengal
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2010
          Here's the thing in the About page they state that they are going to snag your RSS/Content anyway:

          http://metachannels.com/meta_channels/overview

          "Our crawlers scour the Web 24/7, hunting for great episodic video content that's published in public video podcasts and video RSS feeds. Our show index now includes over 200,000 shows and millions of episodes. We select just the best ones to include in MetaChannels' data services."

          If they like your show they contact you and offer to cut you in on using your content? The questions abound like do I have any say in who gets to display my work?

          I have music content in some of my videos that do not allow for commercial re-use. Will they respect that and leave my RSS feed alone?

          I looked at their directory of shows. I'm thinking KQED and the Smithsonian may not know that they are included in MetaChannels syndication process.

          Maybe they do. In any case, why would a content buyer pay for free content to be displayed on a business web site?

          Skeptical and proud of it,

          Gena