Re: [videoblogging] Hello

  • Markus Sandy
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 28, 2010
      Welcome Ree!

      Good topics. You came to the right place.

      Got a vlog yet? url? feed? What kind of videoblogging projects or
      sites are you contemplating?

      Over the years, I've gone from Blogger to my own WordPress site to
      Drupal for larger projects. Over the years, I've been quite impressed
      with blogger+youtube as tools, but not quite as happy from a TOS/
      rights standpoint when compared to running my own site and using
      hosting providers like blip.tv, who support Creative Commons licensing
      and cross posting to the Internet Archive. In the end, I use whatever
      option is appropriate for the job at hand. I love to teach and still
      find the old freevlogger path starting at blogger the most accessible
      to the greatest number of people, especially those who don't care to
      geek out on the technology like some of us.

      Many of us are interested in open source solutions, quality and
      keeping costs down and so you are in good company. :)

      Markus
      http://ojaidigitaldojo.net

      On Jun 28, 2010, at 5:26 PM, reeanne123 wrote:

      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > I'm new to the group and to videoblogging!
      >
      > I've joined this group to learn about best practices in vblogging,
      > including remote interview tools/techniques, best blogging platforms
      > for
      > video and other digital media elements like mobile integration --
      > (Blogger, Wordpress.org, Wordpress.com, other?).
      >
      > Also, to generally share my experience in this whole process so that
      > other newbies might benefit. I don't have a big business budget, so
      > looking to find solutions that are open, high-quality/cost effective.
      >
      > Look forward to connecting!
      > Ree

    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 28, 2010
        On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM, reeanne123 <reeanne123@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > I'm new to the group and to videoblogging!
        >
        > I've joined this group to learn about best practices in vblogging,
        > including remote interview tools/techniques, best blogging platforms for
        > video and other digital media elements like mobile integration --
        > (Blogger, Wordpress.org, Wordpress.com, other?).
        >
        > Also, to generally share my experience in this whole process so that
        > other newbies might benefit. I don't have a big business budget, so
        > looking to find solutions that are open, high-quality/cost effective.
        >
        > Look forward to connecting!
        > Ree

        Hi Ree
        See my beginner story here:

        I say forget Blogger, set up your own website from day one using Wordpress.
        Web hosting costs as little as a few dollars a month and that will get
        you single click install for Wordpress and other blogs. You usually
        get a free domain name too, if not it's under $10/year. Forget using
        anything other than Wordpress though, it's the standard and is easy to
        use.
        I use Hostmonster.com for hosting, but there are countless others.
        Make sure your web host has SimpleScripts single click install for
        Wordpress.
        Get your site theme right from day one and stick with it.

        The PodPress plugin for Wordpress allows you to easily create an
        iTunes compatible feed. Feedburner is good for the RSS feed.
        I use Handbrake to generate a Podcast version of my blog for those
        that view on mobiles/iPhone etc.

        You would want to have a very good reason to use anything other than
        Youtube to host your videos, as that's how people are usually going to
        search for and find you.

        As for monetising your blog, it takes time (and content+views) to
        become a Youtube partner. But that doesn't stop you putting Google
        Adsense ads on your Wordpress blog from the start.

        What do you mean exactly by remote interviewing?

        Regards
        Dave.
      • Steve Eisenberg
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 28, 2010
          Welcome!

          On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM, reeanne123 <reeanne123@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          > I'm new to the group and to videoblogging!
          >
          > I've joined this group to learn about best practices in vblogging,
          > including remote interview tools/techniques, best blogging platforms for
          > video and other digital media elements like mobile integration --
          > (Blogger, Wordpress.org, Wordpress.com, other?).
          >
          > Also, to generally share my experience in this whole process so that
          > other newbies might benefit. I don't have a big business budget, so
          > looking to find solutions that are open, high-quality/cost effective.
          >
          > Look forward to connecting!
          > Ree

        • Mark Villaseñor
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 28, 2010
            Reeanne: "I don't have a big business budget, so looking to find solutions
            that are open, high-quality/cost effective."

            Howdy Ree:
            ...Welcome. You'll find this group a varied bunch; knowledgeable, friendly
            and supportive. And I'm sure you'll glean plenty of cost-cutting tips, which
            still produce high quality visuals.

            Since it appears you're new (maybe fresh outta-the-box)? I suggest you
            pick-up a copy of "Get Seen" by Steve Garfield
            (http://www.stevegarfield.com), who is also a contributor here. It's a good
            read and will help you establish a clearer understanding of what you've
            gotten yourself into. :D

            Happy Trails,
            Mark Villaseñor,
            http://www.TailTrex.tv
            Canine Adventures For Charity - sm
            http://www.SOAR508.org
          • Marie G.
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 29, 2010
              Hi Mark,
              Loved your note. Thank you for the warm welcome and sense of humor.
              I'll check out the book you suggested, sounds interesting. As for the shock of discovery. . . thanks for the warning. : )

              Ree