Hello

  • reeanne123
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 28, 2010
      Hi Everyone,

      I'm new to the group and to videoblogging!

      I've joined this group to learn about best practices in vblogging,
      including remote interview tools/techniques, best blogging platforms for
      video and other digital media elements like mobile integration --
      (Blogger, Wordpress.org, Wordpress.com, other?).

      Also, to generally share my experience in this whole process so that
      other newbies might benefit. I don't have a big business budget, so
      looking to find solutions that are open, high-quality/cost effective.

      Look forward to connecting!
      Ree
    • Markus Sandy
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 28, 2010
        Welcome Ree!

        Good topics. You came to the right place.

        Got a vlog yet? url? feed? What kind of videoblogging projects or
        sites are you contemplating?

        Over the years, I've gone from Blogger to my own WordPress site to
        Drupal for larger projects. Over the years, I've been quite impressed
        with blogger+youtube as tools, but not quite as happy from a TOS/
        rights standpoint when compared to running my own site and using
        hosting providers like blip.tv, who support Creative Commons licensing
        and cross posting to the Internet Archive. In the end, I use whatever
        option is appropriate for the job at hand. I love to teach and still
        find the old freevlogger path starting at blogger the most accessible
        to the greatest number of people, especially those who don't care to
        geek out on the technology like some of us.

        Many of us are interested in open source solutions, quality and
        keeping costs down and so you are in good company. :)

        Markus
        http://ojaidigitaldojo.net

        On Jun 28, 2010, at 5:26 PM, reeanne123 wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > I'm new to the group and to videoblogging!
        >
        > I've joined this group to learn about best practices in vblogging,
        > including remote interview tools/techniques, best blogging platforms
        > for
        > video and other digital media elements like mobile integration --
        > (Blogger, Wordpress.org, Wordpress.com, other?).
        >
        > Also, to generally share my experience in this whole process so that
        > other newbies might benefit. I don't have a big business budget, so
        > looking to find solutions that are open, high-quality/cost effective.
        >
        > Look forward to connecting!
        > Ree

      • David Jones
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 28, 2010
          On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM, reeanne123 <reeanne123@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          > I'm new to the group and to videoblogging!
          >
          > I've joined this group to learn about best practices in vblogging,
          > including remote interview tools/techniques, best blogging platforms for
          > video and other digital media elements like mobile integration --
          > (Blogger, Wordpress.org, Wordpress.com, other?).
          >
          > Also, to generally share my experience in this whole process so that
          > other newbies might benefit. I don't have a big business budget, so
          > looking to find solutions that are open, high-quality/cost effective.
          >
          > Look forward to connecting!
          > Ree

          Hi Ree
          See my beginner story here:

          I say forget Blogger, set up your own website from day one using Wordpress.
          Web hosting costs as little as a few dollars a month and that will get
          you single click install for Wordpress and other blogs. You usually
          get a free domain name too, if not it's under $10/year. Forget using
          anything other than Wordpress though, it's the standard and is easy to
          use.
          I use Hostmonster.com for hosting, but there are countless others.
          Make sure your web host has SimpleScripts single click install for
          Wordpress.
          Get your site theme right from day one and stick with it.

          The PodPress plugin for Wordpress allows you to easily create an
          iTunes compatible feed. Feedburner is good for the RSS feed.
          I use Handbrake to generate a Podcast version of my blog for those
          that view on mobiles/iPhone etc.

          You would want to have a very good reason to use anything other than
          Youtube to host your videos, as that's how people are usually going to
          search for and find you.

          As for monetising your blog, it takes time (and content+views) to
          become a Youtube partner. But that doesn't stop you putting Google
          Adsense ads on your Wordpress blog from the start.

          What do you mean exactly by remote interviewing?

          Regards
          Dave.
        • Steve Eisenberg
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 28, 2010
            Welcome!

            On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM, reeanne123 <reeanne123@...> wrote:

            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > I'm new to the group and to videoblogging!
            >
            > I've joined this group to learn about best practices in vblogging,
            > including remote interview tools/techniques, best blogging platforms for
            > video and other digital media elements like mobile integration --
            > (Blogger, Wordpress.org, Wordpress.com, other?).
            >
            > Also, to generally share my experience in this whole process so that
            > other newbies might benefit. I don't have a big business budget, so
            > looking to find solutions that are open, high-quality/cost effective.
            >
            > Look forward to connecting!
            > Ree

          • Mark Villaseñor
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 28, 2010
              Reeanne: "I don't have a big business budget, so looking to find solutions
              that are open, high-quality/cost effective."

              Howdy Ree:
              ...Welcome. You'll find this group a varied bunch; knowledgeable, friendly
              and supportive. And I'm sure you'll glean plenty of cost-cutting tips, which
              still produce high quality visuals.

              Since it appears you're new (maybe fresh outta-the-box)? I suggest you
              pick-up a copy of "Get Seen" by Steve Garfield
              (http://www.stevegarfield.com), who is also a contributor here. It's a good
              read and will help you establish a clearer understanding of what you've
              gotten yourself into. :D

              Happy Trails,
              Mark Villaseñor,
              http://www.TailTrex.tv
              Canine Adventures For Charity - sm
              http://www.SOAR508.org
            • Marie G.
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 29, 2010
                Hi Mark,
                Loved your note. Thank you for the warm welcome and sense of humor.
                I'll check out the book you suggested, sounds interesting. As for the shock of discovery. . . thanks for the warning. : )

                Ree