Re: [videoblogging] VidMe - private video sharing

  • Adrian Miles
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 24, 2010
      This is a good development. It is surprising how poorly most soc media sites
      handle this sort of stuff, either share all, or share none, or possibly
      behind password which you have to distribute, and so on.

      None of these are satisfactory (how do I know that X doesn't share the
      password/secret url?) and also mean I have to do a lot of work to manage
      this.

      Ideally I should be able to set up or join a group, and because I am a
      member then if I choose to share with that group then that's it. Group
      membership = access and the system is good enough to manage individuals and
      groups (elgg does this for example reasonably well, it is for education).

      So when I add content I can just choose which groups I want to share it
      with. eg I might share it with my immediate friends/project team for
      feedback, then rework it then share it larger groups, and then finally to
      everyone.

      On related note, an interesting comment I saw the other day was (re
      facebook) asking how much would we be willing to pay per year to subscribe
      to a soc media site/service that actually looked after your privacy? in
      other words would we be willing to pay for a service that didn't maximise no
      privacy because of need for advertising revenue and would put your rights
      first? It's a good question and my personal sentiment is if that were done
      properly you'd be on a winner. Though the Europhile in me would also wonder
      and ask why on earth do I have to pay to maintain to my privacy?

      an appropriate closing
      Adrian Miles
      School of Media and Communication
      Program Director B.Comm Honours