files

  • Tom Dolan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
      Hi,

      Can someone tell me the meaning of: "Flattened" movie or video file?
      I'm looking into different ways to compress for the web from iMovie
      and occasionally I see this term.

      Thanx
      Tom Dolan
      tomjdolan.com

    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
        On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Tom Dolan <tomjdolan@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Can someone tell me the meaning of: "Flattened" movie or video file?
        > I'm looking into different ways to compress for the web from iMovie
        > and occasionally I see this term.

        http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flattened+video+file

        Which links to stuff like this:
        http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/qa/qtmtb/qtmtb47.html

        Dave.
      • Adrian Miles
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
          Flattening the movie interleaves data through the file structure. The aim
          (from memory) is to have key data up front so the player gets it first and
          doesn't have to wait for it to arrive. I don't know what data this is but
          imagine it would be things like:
          duration
          frame rate
          gamma
          volume
          metadata (who, when, etc)

          Actually, that's what fast start does. I think flattening only interleaves
          the data so that it is 'packed' into the file format in the most efficient
          way for playback.

          For fast start the object is to let the video be able to begin playing
          before all the media has arrived (aka fast start). This was (and is) an
          innovation as in the early days of video, unless you were using RTSP, the
          entire media file would have to be delivered before it could play. With long
          and large files this was a nuisance.

          It might sound obvious, but it wasn't at the time. (Imagine being able to
          start reading a very large Word doc in Word, that was online, before all the
          pages had arrived, that's what flattening - and fast start - help to
          achieve).

          an appropriate closing
          Adrian Miles
          School of Media and Communication
          Program Director B.Comm Honours
          vogmae.net.au

          On 7 June 2010 10:21, Tom Dolan <tomjdolan@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Can someone tell me the meaning of: "Flattened" movie or video file?
          > I'm looking into different ways to compress for the web from iMovie
          > and occasionally I see this term.
          >
          > Thanx
          > Tom Dolan
          > tomjdolan.com

        • Tom Dolan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
            Thanx for taking the time to explain that Adrian, I guess I'll select
            'quick start' when I convert. I use Quick Time Pro to convert from
            iMovie to a QT movie which I then upload to YouTube, blip and a few
            others. My files have been very large, even after following the advice
            of a very popular vid-blogger. I don't like the resolution that he
            apparently finds acceptable. But thru trial & error just the other
            day, I discovered a combo of selections that reduced my file size to
            about 1/3 size with ok acceptable rez.

            Anyway, I was happy about that. Again, Thanx. Some folks on this site
            seem to have an elevated opinion re: their opinion and so I don't
            engage the group often. You've been considerate.

            Thank you,
            Tom Dolan

            Tom Dolan
            tomjdolan.com
          • David Jones
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
              On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Tom Dolan <tomjdolan@...> wrote:

              > Thanx for taking the time to explain that Adrian, I guess I'll select
              > 'quick start' when I convert. I use Quick Time Pro to convert from
              > iMovie to a QT movie which I then upload to YouTube, blip and a few
              > others. My files have been very large, even after following the advice
              > of a very popular vid-blogger. I don't like the resolution that he
              > apparently finds acceptable. But thru trial & error just the other
              > day, I discovered a combo of selections that reduced my file size to
              > about 1/3 size with ok acceptable rez.

              Here are some Apple recommendations:
              http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/h264.html

              What settings do other people use for their final output?

              For my talking head blog I generate 1280x720 MP4 at either 2000Kbps or
              2500Kbps average sample rate using Handbrake, using 2 pass encoding if
              I'm not in a hurry. Uploaded to Youtube.
              Sometimes I'll use 3000Kbps or a bit higher for slightly higher
              quality if I think my content deserves it or has more motion content
              than normal.

              Dave.
            • Joly MacFie
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
                For YouTube I've been using 2 - 4mbps for ages, but recently I've
                upped myself to 10-20mpbs on short clips and it really does improve
                things.

                If one can afford the bandwidth there's no reason not to go even
                higher - there's a 20GB limit, right?

                > For my talking head blog I generate 1280x720 MP4 at either 2000Kbps or
                > 2500Kbps average sample rate using Handbrake, using 2 pass encoding if
                > I'm not in a hurry. Uploaded to Youtube.
                > Sometimes I'll use 3000Kbps or a bit higher for slightly higher
                > quality if I think my content deserves it or has more motion content
                > than normal.
                >
                > Dave.

                Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
                WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
                Secretary - ISOC-NY - http://isoc-ny.org
              • David Jones
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
                  On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

                  > For YouTube I've been using 2 - 4mbps for ages, but recently I've
                  > upped myself to 10-20mpbs on short clips and it really does improve
                  > things.
                  >
                  > If one can afford the bandwidth there's no reason not to go even
                  > higher - there's a 20GB limit, right?

                  20GB for partners, 2GB for the plebs.
                  It also depends on your source material. My Sanyo Xacti shoots at
                  1280x720 6Mbps, so it's kinda pointless to render any higher than that
                  on my final output. Especially after there being slight loss due to
                  the rendering to MP2 and then converting back to the final MP4.

                  For short and/or important clips I'll ramp it up, but a 1 hour long
                  talking head blog episode gets the 2Mbps treatment :->

                  Dave.
                • Adrian Miles
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 7, 2010
                    biggest mistake is to set manual keyframes. make them automatic (also known
                    as natural), will produce better compression results and generally smaller
                    file sizes...

                  • adammercado@att.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 7, 2010
                      Flattening, in the QuickTime context, means baking all the data into one files, as opposed to referencing outside files. QuickTime has the ability to create very small reference movies, basically containers for external content - audio, video, sprite, text - packaged yp into one file. When saving out of QTPro or FinalCut you have the option to save a reference movie, or a flattened movie. reference movies out of FCP are great as it allows you save a final master without making a very large file. FCP is referencing your captured footage and render files when saving out a reference movie, otherwise you would essentially be duplicating what is already on your hard drive, a waste of space.

                      But the problem is if those source files go missing, the unbaked reference file is useless. Also, QuickTime is able to update the internal links in the reference file so if you move the external files to a different location the reference file will still play correctly. THis has caught me out on occasion, thinking once the files moved to the trash the ref movie still played everything was okay. But once the trash was emptied, the ref movie failed. I wish there was some kind of visual indicator.

                      hope that helps
                      -adam