Re: [videoblogging] Re: Questions about setting up a new wordpress video blog

  • Mark Villaseñor
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2010
      David Jones: "Yes, Youtube seems to fit my niche market very well."

      Hi Dave:
      ...I wasn't aiming to convince you otherwise. If YT is working for you under
      the model you've described, particular to your market, then perhaps it is
      the best fit for the content you offer.

      David Jones: "IMO Youtube is essential and not an option for any blogger
      starting out."

      Again, agreed. I do not espouse negating use of YouTube, only that its
      limitations with respect to (contact) list management are less desirable
      than other methods. For example; a YT subscriber base cannot be narrowly
      defined to suit a particular campaign, or generate more focused interest
      particular to a segment of users.

      David Jones: "I, and I'm sure others be interested to hear exactly how
      you've made your living on the web for the last 9 years. I could eventually
      do the same thing I'm sure, even for my little niche market, all I need is
      10 times my current audience and I could probably consider doing it full
      time."

      Ok, but can your market sustain "10 times" your current audience?

      While marketing is an extremely broad subject, slightly outside the scope of
      this topic... In short; I've never chosen an area without knowing the
      demographics and market aspects/sentiments, like the back of my hand. I don't
      select a target market without knowing (absolutely) what the realistic
      potential market penetration is, irrespective competition.

      For TailTrex.tv as a CONDENSED example: there are 50 million U.S. dog owners
      (gross market); approximately 30 million (sub-market) of these engage
      outdoor activities with their dog(s), at least once per year; 17 million
      (narrow-market #1) engage outdoor activities with a dog(s), on multiple
      occasions per year; 9 million of these (narrow-market #2) utilize public
      lands (parks, recreation areas, forest lands, etc.) often; of the 9 million
      about 1.5 million routinely buy products and/or services to enhance outdoor
      activities with a dog(s); and, roughly 500,000 of the latter spend about
      $475 (or more) per year to facilitate their outdoor dog interests. (There
      are additional details, but hopefully you get the point.)

      So while it would seem our target market are the 9 million dog owners who
      use public lands, the reality is only a fraction of the 1.5 million are
      motivated enough (based on other criteria) to find what TailTrex.tv offers
      of CONSISTENT interest. So our sub-target market are roughly 350,000
      hard-core dog owners who rigidly fit our model. However, REALISTICALLY, the
      potential consistent market penetration is only about 200,000. Our TARGET
      MARKET is then about 750k motivated dog owners, in order to achieve the
      averaged 200k penetration goal.

      Of course I'm generalizing things a great deal, but my point is without
      knowing one's market extremely well products and services (and in the case
      of a vlog, CONTENT) cannot be crafted to suit that market for revenue
      generation.

      Granted, it's my take that most folk on this list don't approach marketing
      as sophisticated as others (although I could be wrong). And there is nothing
      wrong with that, per se. Except when one desires to make a solid living
      online, knowing one's market (intimately) is the foundation upon which
      everything else SHOULD be built.

      Hoping, guessing, shooting in the dark is not the path to making money
      online. Intimately understanding one's market is. And the best way to become
      more in-tune with a captive market (wants, desires, trends, etc.) is through
      a CONTROLLED contact list.

      ...YouTube, cannot facilitate that deal. It's not built to do so, thus
      trying to make YT fit a sustainable revenue stream is problematic. :D

      Mark Villaseñor,
      http://www.TailTrex.tv
      Canine Adventures For Charity - sm
      http://www.SOAR508.org
    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2010
        On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Mark Villaseñor
        <videoblogyahoogroup@...> wrote:

        > David Jones: "Yes, Youtube seems to fit my niche market very well."
        >
        > Hi Dave:
        > ...I wasn't aiming to convince you otherwise. If YT is working for you under
        > the model you've described, particular to your market, then perhaps it is
        > the best fit for the content you offer.
        >
        > David Jones: "IMO Youtube is essential and not an option for any blogger
        > starting out."
        >
        > Again, agreed. I do not espouse negating use of YouTube, only that its
        > limitations with respect to (contact) list management are less desirable
        > than other methods. For example; a YT subscriber base cannot be narrowly
        > defined to suit a particular campaign, or generate more focused interest
        > particular to a segment of users.
        >
        > David Jones: "I, and I'm sure others be interested to hear exactly how
        >
        > you've made your living on the web for the last 9 years. I could eventually
        > do the same thing I'm sure, even for my little niche market, all I need is
        > 10 times my current audience and I could probably consider doing it full
        > time."
        >
        > Ok, but can your market sustain "10 times" your current audience?

        No real idea.
        I didn't think I'd get 5 viewers let alone the 5000 or so I have now.
        Is 50,000 regular viewers possible?
        With some hindsight of how it's grown in the first year, and the
        markets I'm tapping into, yes, I think that's possible.
        It may not happen, or happen for a very long time, but it's not impossible.
        I'm growing by around 10-15 viewers a day consistently on Youtube
        alone. Not a lot perhaps, but that adds up to at least say 5000 new
        viewers a year total at current rates.
        My Youtube total views are around 3000 per day on average, and it all
        seems to be somewhat self perpetuating growth. The more varied content
        I put up the more people find me through searching, the bigger my
        reputation grows etc etc.

        I seem to appeal to the Hacker & Maker crowd as well as the
        traditional electronics hobbyists and engineers I originally aimed it
        at.
        Looking at Make magazine on Youtube as an example
        (http://www.youtube.com/user/makemagazine), they have almost 50
        million views and around 140,000 subscribers.
        They also produce similar (but lesser quality) content to mine
        occasionally as part of their appeal to electronics people.
        I recon I can appeal to a good chunk of that audience alone.

        How many electronics engineers, hobbyists, and people who tinker with
        electronics are there in the word? I have no idea, but it's got to be
        in the 10's of millions. And I'm pretty much the only video show in
        town :->

        But really, it doesn't matter, because I do it for fun, not profit. If
        it tuns into something I can do full time to pay the bills then that
        would be fantastic, but I have no illusions that will actually happen.
        I like to think I'm ultimately working toward it with everything I do
        though.

        > While marketing is an extremely broad subject, slightly outside the scope of
        > this topic... In short; I've never chosen an area without knowing the
        > demographics and market aspects/sentiments, like the back of my hand. I don't
        > select a target market without knowing (absolutely) what the realistic
        > potential market penetration is, irrespective competition.

        Perhaps naively, I thought that most video bloggers blogged about
        something that interests them and they are passionate about first, and
        then perhaps thought about marketing later...?

        > For TailTrex.tv as a CONDENSED example: there are 50 million U.S. dog owners
        > (gross market); approximately 30 million (sub-market) of these engage
        > outdoor activities with their dog(s), at least once per year; 17 million
        > (narrow-market #1) engage outdoor activities with a dog(s), on multiple
        > occasions per year; 9 million of these (narrow-market #2) utilize public
        > lands (parks, recreation areas, forest lands, etc.) often; of the 9 million
        > about 1.5 million routinely buy products and/or services to enhance outdoor
        > activities with a dog(s); and, roughly 500,000 of the latter spend about
        > $475 (or more) per year to facilitate their outdoor dog interests. (There
        > are additional details, but hopefully you get the point.)
        >
        > So while it would seem our target market are the 9 million dog owners who
        > use public lands, the reality is only a fraction of the 1.5 million are
        > motivated enough (based on other criteria) to find what TailTrex.tv offers
        > of CONSISTENT interest. So our sub-target market are roughly 350,000
        > hard-core dog owners who rigidly fit our model. However, REALISTICALLY, the
        > potential consistent market penetration is only about 200,000. Our TARGET
        > MARKET is then about 750k motivated dog owners, in order to achieve the
        > averaged 200k penetration goal.
        >
        > Of course I'm generalizing things a great deal, but my point is without
        > knowing one's market extremely well products and services (and in the case
        > of a vlog, CONTENT) cannot be crafted to suit that market for revenue
        > generation.

        Sure. But many times you simply can't know what people want until you
        actually put content out there and try.

        What about those countless video bloggers with hundreds of thousands
        or millions of regular viewers? I bet very few of them started with
        any sort of plan!
        And why someone who just rants on about say nothing in particular can
        get so many subscribers seem to baffle the mind!, it's certainly not
        because they understood what their audience wanted from day 1.

        But I guess the differentiator is whether you go into it thinking like
        a business from day one, or you just get into it for fun and get
        lucky. I like the latter, the former has too much risk :->

        > Granted, it's my take that most folk on this list don't approach marketing
        > as sophisticated as others (although I could be wrong). And there is nothing
        > wrong with that, per se. Except when one desires to make a solid living
        > online, knowing one's market (intimately) is the foundation upon which
        > everything else SHOULD be built.
        >
        > Hoping, guessing, shooting in the dark is not the path to making money
        > online. Intimately understanding one's market is. And the best way to become
        > more in-tune with a captive market (wants, desires, trends, etc.) is through
        > a CONTROLLED contact list.

        That's not my experience.
        Content is king, and a contact list really has little to with that.
        I don't need to contact my viewers to ask what they want, they
        *contact me* and tell me daily!
        But as always, YMMV.

        > ...YouTube, cannot facilitate that deal. It's not built to do so, thus
        > trying to make YT fit a sustainable revenue stream is problematic. :D

        Tell that to the many bloggers who make full time livings from Youtube.
        As far as I know, there are very few video bloggers who make money
        outside of Youtube, at lest in comparison.
        Anyone know of any who have started from scratch and built a large
        audience without using Youtube? I'd be curious to see how.
        I know it's possible, but it must be so much harder than when you ride
        the Youtube train.

        Regards
        Dave.
      • Mark Villaseñor
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2010
          David Jones: "...it doesn't matter, because I do it for fun, not profit. If
          it tuns into something I can do full time to pay the bills then that would
          be fantastic, but I have no illusions that will actually happen. I like to
          think I'm ultimately working toward it with everything I do though."

          Hey Dave:
          Foremost please know I'm not aiming to be adversarial when discussing this
          topic, just informative as I can through frankness. That said; your
          sentiment above is a common one and somewhat contradictory. No problem
          believing so, mind you, only don't be surprised when you never make a living
          online full time. I hope you do, but the reality is... Hope don't float.

          You're fooling yourself by thinking; "I'm ultimately working toward it."
          That's not the way REAL, sustainable, money is made online or off.

          David Jones: "Perhaps naively, I thought that most video bloggers blogged
          about something that interests them and they are passionate about first, and
          then perhaps thought about marketing later...?"

          That's not naive; passion is essential to any undertaking. Just because one
          views their area of vlogging (or web) interest with profit motives in mind,
          does not make the endeavor less worthwhile -- only potentially more
          profitable.

          I absolutely LOVE what we've done with dogs; I unquestionably feel
          passionately about working them; talking about them, sharing my narrow area
          of canid expertise; and, would do it all for free if a Web Fairy paid the
          bills. Although until the latter flutters down from on-high and does its
          thing? I'm doin what works (more times than not) to generate MONEY,
          sustainable bucks, and I'll do it enthusiastically.

          David Jones: "What about those countless video bloggers with hundreds of
          thousands or millions of regular viewers? I bet very few of them started
          with any sort of plan!"

          And I'd bet you're right! But if a coherent plan isn't engaged at some
          point, they simply aren't making diddly to the degree they could. Planning
          doesn't assure success, its no guarantee of anything, but it sure makes the
          ride a whole lot easier to deal with when bumps get in the way. And the
          bumps ALWAYS get in the way. Question is; does one go over or under them?

          David Jones: "...I guess the differentiator is whether you go into it
          thinking like a business from day one, or you just get into it for fun..."

          Hmm, yeah, well. Please point me to the Internets law that says thinking on
          business terms from Jump Street, cannot equate to fun. I've looked
          everywhere but just can't seem to find it. ;)

          Seriously, Dave, take my word for it. I'm having an absolute blast
          developing TailTrex-TV, and win lose or draw; I'll continue on that hoot
          well after launch! I've not only met some great people (like this list for
          example), but have seen better sides of human nature in the process. So
          thinking on business terms needn't be dry and dull, less exciting or
          unfulfilling, but may actually ADD to the fun. It all depends on where one's
          head is at, perspective being key.

          David Jones: "Content is king, and a contact list really has little to with
          that."

          I'll yield to you as the authority of your own experience. Good luck with
          that.

          David Jones: "As far as I know, there are very few video bloggers who make
          money
          outside of Youtube, at lest in comparison."

          I can see why, especially if your notions about web marketing are widespread
          as seems evident. But then, one has to decide if they follow the herd or
          take a different path -- particularly ones proven time and again, albeit
          less traveled.

          David Jones: "Anyone know of any who have started from scratch and built a
          large audience without using Youtube? I'd be curious to see how."

          Ok, but your presupposing I'm espousing that YouTube SHOULDN'T be utilized.
          That's not what I've stated, Dave, not by a long shot. The vast difference
          is; one using YT as a crutch, rather than a tool among many.

          It appears to me (and I could be mistaken) you're looking at YT as some kind
          of surefire conduit to success, as though it's the only game in town worth
          exploiting. And if that be the case, head-on, knock yourself out. Maybe
          SOMEDAY you'll be one of those with multi-million YT views? (And I sincerely
          wish you will be.) As for me, MAYBE never got results; but that just might
          be me, a-lil tainted by reality.

          At long last, Dave, I appreciate your sentiments. But I must say that it
          APPEARS (seems like) your notions about web marketing are skewed by what you
          THINK is happening, not by what actually is based on solid evidence. That's
          not meant as a put-down, just an observation based on your remarks.

          There are plenty of legitimate Web Marketing coaches ("Gurus" if that works
          better) I could recommend (through private mail), if you're of a mind to
          cast aside what you THINK you know; and, truly discover what is obvious you
          don't. Only YOU control that choice, Dave; only YOU control the relative
          outcomes.

          ...I'll give you the last word.

          All The Best,
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2010
            On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Mark Villaseñor
            <videoblogyahoogroup@...> wrote:
            > Hey Dave:
            > Foremost please know I'm not aiming to be adversarial when discussing this
            > topic, just informative as I can through frankness. That said; your
            > sentiment above is a common one and somewhat contradictory. No problem
            > believing so, mind you, only don't be surprised when you never make a living
            > online full time. I hope you do, but the reality is... Hope don't float.

            I know, but considering that no plan, however well thought out and
            backed with experience is guaranteed to work in a new venture much
            more than one that's not, particularly when it comes to video blogging
            I think. You are at the mercy of the viewers and what value they
            perceive in your work and approach. So hope is pretty much all you've
            got when you start out. You produce content and ultimately hope people
            like it.

            > You're fooling yourself by thinking; "I'm ultimately working toward it."

            No, I'm not. I can see the results of all my efforts daily, and I can
            see it growing daily.

            > That's not the way REAL, sustainable, money is made online or off.

            Ok, so please tell us how. You still haven't told us how you actually
            make a full time living online. I'm willing to bet it's not just video
            blogging...
            Please tell us your story...

            > That's not naive; passion is essential to any undertaking. Just because one
            > views their area of vlogging (or web) interest with profit motives in mind,
            > does not make the endeavor less worthwhile -- only potentially more
            > profitable.

            I agree.
            But you still haven't told us how having that controlled contact list
            helps with making that elusive profit....

            > I absolutely LOVE what we've done with dogs; I unquestionably feel
            > passionately about working them; talking about them, sharing my narrow area
            > of canid expertise; and, would do it all for free if a Web Fairy paid the
            > bills. Although until the latter flutters down from on-high and does its
            > thing? I'm doin what works (more times than not) to generate MONEY,
            > sustainable bucks, and I'll do it enthusiastically.

            Am I reading into this correctly that you are already getting paid in
            some way to produce and launch TailTrex? Or is it just something you
            hope will make you money?
            If it's something you are SURE will make you money based on past
            experience, then, well, good luck with that!

            > And I'd bet you're right! But if a coherent plan isn't engaged at some
            > point, they simply aren't making diddly to the degree they could. Planning
            > doesn't assure success, its no guarantee of anything, but it sure makes the
            > ride a whole lot easier to deal with when bumps get in the way. And the
            > bumps ALWAYS get in the way. Question is; does one go over or under them?

            You just keep producing content...
            There aren't too many bumps in video blogging, it's pretty much a one
            way individual broadcast medium. So you just keep on video blogging,
            listen to your audience, and keep giving them what they want. Maybe
            try something new here and there and see how it goes.
            A bit of planning does help in the initial concept and setup, channel
            naming and branding etc though, as it can be harder to change when you
            have an established audience.

            > David Jones: "...I guess the differentiator is whether you go into it
            > thinking like a business from day one, or you just get into it for fun..."
            >
            > Hmm, yeah, well. Please point me to the Internets law that says thinking on
            > business terms from Jump Street, cannot equate to fun. I've looked
            > everywhere but just can't seem to find it. ;)

            There isn't of course, if that's what floats your boat, go for it. I
            just hope no one mortgages the house in anticipation of a venture
            paying off because they read some gurus guide to web marketing!

            > Seriously, Dave, take my word for it. I'm having an absolute blast
            > developing TailTrex-TV, and win lose or draw; I'll continue on that hoot
            > well after launch! I've not only met some great people (like this list for
            > example), but have seen better sides of human nature in the process. So
            > thinking on business terms needn't be dry and dull, less exciting or
            > unfulfilling, but may actually ADD to the fun. It all depends on where one's
            > head is at, perspective being key.

            Sure, and good luck with the venture.
            I'm starting to think about my blog seriously too. I've got a paid
            commercial gig coming up in October in the US, I've got half a dozen
            of the worlds major equipment manufacturers on board sending me stuff
            and taking me seriously. I got a personal call from the CEO of a 5
            billion dollar corporation. I've a got reasonably large growing
            audience, and I'm going to Australia's top drama school to hopefully
            learn some tricks and have some fun. All within the first year without
            putting any thought into it or really taking it seriously!

            I'm also starting a new video blog venture that I'm taking a bit more
            seriously from day one given my new found experience with what's
            possible. But it's still of course done for fun because I can't see
            any way I could possibly plan how or if it will take off, so I'll just
            take my best shot, put some content out there and hope it works.

            > David Jones: "Content is king, and a contact list really has little to with
            > that."
            >
            > I'll yield to you as the authority of your own experience. Good luck with
            > that.

            Once again, please explain this whole contact list thing and why it is
            so vitally important to making money online video blogging. I don't
            want to miss out on any extra revenue!
            But try as I might, I can't see any possible extra benefit of having a
            controlled contact list of every one of my viewers. If I want to reach
            them then I'll post a blog and they will all see it within days. I can
            already mass contact subscribers via Youtube and my blog site and
            Twitter if need be.

            > David Jones: "As far as I know, there are very few video bloggers who make
            > money
            > outside of Youtube, at lest in comparison."
            >
            > I can see why, especially if your notions about web marketing are widespread
            > as seems evident. But then, one has to decide if they follow the herd or
            > take a different path -- particularly ones proven time and again, albeit
            > less traveled.

            Please tell us about these time and again proven paths...
            Once again, I don't want to be missing something I should be trying!

            > David Jones: "Anyone know of any who have started from scratch and built a
            > large audience without using Youtube? I'd be curious to see how."
            >
            > Ok, but your presupposing I'm espousing that YouTube SHOULDN'T be utilized.
            > That's not what I've stated, Dave, not by a long shot. The vast difference
            > is; one using YT as a crutch, rather than a tool among many.

            Indeed. That's why I have a Wordpress Blog, an RSS feed, an iTunes
            Podcast, a BBS forum, and Twitter.
            I'd suggest others do the same and not just rely upon Youtube.

            But when around half of your audience comes from and watches via
            Youtube, it's real hard to not take seriously!

            > It appears to me (and I could be mistaken) you're looking at YT as some kind
            > of surefire conduit to success, as though it's the only game in town worth
            > exploiting.

            Not at all. But you or anyone else has yet to show a video blogger who
            has grown to success without making use of Youtube.
            I'm sure there are, but they don't seem to reveal themselves all that often!
            Remember, Youtube is now over TWO BILLION views a day!
            It's not the only game in town, but it sure is the biggest, by orders
            of magnitude.

            In Australia alone, there are currently 19 Youtube Partners who have
            over 100,000 views last month. (I'm at number 29 with a bullet :-D ).
            Not bad for a country that's a drop in the bucket in terms of Youtube
            views.

            > And if that be the case, head-on, knock yourself out. Maybe
            > SOMEDAY you'll be one of those with multi-million YT views? (And I sincerely
            > wish you will be.) As for me, MAYBE never got results; but that just might
            > be me, a-lil tainted by reality.

            I will never get a million plus subscribers with the EEVblog, it's
            just too niche a market, and it has little chance of going viral with
            the general public. I know that and am under no illusions.
            But millions of views, sure, that's guaranteed. I've already got
            almost 600,000 views on Youtube alone, and consistently around 3000 a
            day. So I'll hit a million views in around 133 days at the current
            rate!
            Considering that I thought I'd never reach four digits when I started,
            I'm pretty stoked :-D

            > At long last, Dave, I appreciate your sentiments. But I must say that it
            > APPEARS (seems like) your notions about web marketing are skewed by what you
            > THINK is happening, not by what actually is based on solid evidence. That's
            > not meant as a put-down, just an observation based on your remarks.

            Again, please enlighten us, show us this "solid evidence".
            How do you successfully market a video blog?, I'd love to know the secrets!
            You've so far provided no insight into anything apart from tell us
            that a controlled contact list is essential to success, and that there
            are are other avenues apart from Youtube.
            How are you making your money? How are you making a full time living
            from it? Really, that's why we are all here, to learn from those who
            have been there and done it.

            > There are plenty of legitimate Web Marketing coaches ("Gurus" if that works
            > better) I could recommend (through private mail), if you're of a mind to
            > cast aside what you THINK you know; and, truly discover what is obvious you
            > don't. Only YOU control that choice, Dave; only YOU control the relative
            > outcomes.

            If you have book or other recommendations, then I'm all ears. I like
            to think I'm open minded and intelligent enough to pick out what's
            relevant and what's not for me and my my circumstances.
            But if you want to recommend some marketing guru I have to pay good
            money to to tell me how to market my blog they know nothing about,
            using some generic guidelines that has worked for some people in an
            entirely different industry, then no thanks, I won't waste my time or
            money.
            There are no surefire ways to success, ever. Nor are there any gurus
            who can tell you how to do it right. Everyone's blog content is
            different, everyone audience is different, there is no universal
            solution.

            But we are all here to share stories and advice, so come on everyone,
            tell us how you have succeeded (or not) at video blogging and what
            advice you can give.

            I hope this promotes a lot of discussion!

            Regards
            Dave.
          • Marguerita
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
              > But we are all here to share stories and advice, so come on everyone,
              > tell us how you have succeeded (or not) at video blogging and what
              > advice you can give.
              >
              > I hope this promotes a lot of discussion!
              >
              > Regards
              > Dave.

              I have found that reading your correspondences has been enlightening. Each of us measures our own success - but I, like you, am always willing to learn new tricks to bring me closer to what I define success as - for myself and my video efforts.

              I was dragged into making video by a pal that I trust. I was trying to use any cheap/easy methods to promote my book. All advice I saw was "make your vids about something you are passionate about" and I followed that, not knowing where it would lead. At the time (18 months ago) I thought YouTube was for skateboarding kids and garage bands.

              Well, I was wrong :)

              I can't say that I have had a goal other than just having fun, but lately I've been invited to partner on 4 of my videos and, unbelievably (for me), I really, really enjoy making the videos.

              At this late stage, I am now starting over in my thinking, and trying to plan ahead instead of just having an "aha" moment and throwing a video up on whatever subject just crossed my mind.

              I continue to learn more about technique, editing, scripting and tools and I will continue to try an improve the quality of my videos, but I am very much interested in learning more from others about how they are planning ahead for whatever success they are seeking, by whatever definition they want to use.

              Thanks very much to everyone who contributes here,

              Marguerita
              Marguerita McManus
              Crazy Shortcut Quilts Book
              http://www.crazyshortcutquilts.com/margueritas-blog/
              My Quilting Videos - http://tinyurl.com/r6xxp4
            • David Jones
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 3, 2010
                On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Marguerita <marguerita.mcmanus@...> wrote:

                > > But we are all here to share stories and advice, so come on everyone,
                > > tell us how you have succeeded (or not) at video blogging and what
                > > advice you can give.
                > >
                > > I hope this promotes a lot of discussion!
                > >
                > > Regards
                > > Dave.
                > >

                > I have found that reading your correspondences has been enlightening. Each of us measures our own success - but I, like you, am always willing to learn new tricks to bring me closer to what I define success as - for myself and my video efforts.
                >
                > I was dragged into making video by a pal that I trust. I was trying to use any cheap/easy methods to promote my book. All advice I saw was "make your vids about something you are passionate about" and I followed that, not knowing where it would lead. At the time (18 months ago) I thought YouTube was for skateboarding kids and garage bands.
                >
                > Well, I was wrong :)
                >
                > I can't say that I have had a goal other than just having fun, but lately I've been invited to partner on 4 of my videos and, unbelievably (for me), I really, really enjoy making the videos.
                >
                > At this late stage, I am now starting over in my thinking, and trying to plan ahead instead of just having an "aha" moment and throwing a video up on whatever subject just crossed my mind.
                >
                > I continue to learn more about technique, editing, scripting and tools and I will continue to try an improve the quality of my videos, but I am very much interested in learning more from others about how they are planning ahead for whatever success they are seeking, by whatever definition they want to use.
                >
                > Thanks very much to everyone who contributes here,
                >
                > Marguerita
                > Marguerita McManus
                > Crazy Shortcut Quilts Book
                > http://www.crazyshortcutquilts.com/margueritas-blog/
                > My Quilting Videos - http://tinyurl.com/r6xxp4

                Hi Marguerita
                Your linked Youtube channel username does not work seem to work:
                http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyshortcutquilts/

                Quilting seems to get a tons of hits on Youtube, so look like a nice
                little niche market there!

                Regards
                Dave.