Re: [videoblogging] Multimedia

  • Michael Sullivan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2010
      Might as well just focus on HTML5 and CSS3 and Javascript and cutting edge
      Web Browsers (Webkit, Gecko).

      The web page should be considered the viable multimedia canvas of the
      future. Continued advancements in web browser capabilities will lead to
      multimedia that we normally see with Flash or even Quicktime can be
      referenced.

      Speaking of web browsers... it's prob worth mentioning the forthcoming
      competition..... RockMelt.

      http://www.pcworld.com/article/170243/rockmelt_101_a_quick_guide_to_the_mysterious_browser.html

      Sull

      On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM, elbowsofdeath <steve@...> wrote:

      > Just trying to extract the interesting topic of multimedia from the video
      > format discussion.
      >
      > I dont really know whee to start, Ive always been interested in it,
      > although as mentioned previously I get a bit lost when I actually try to
      > flesh out some vague ideas into something more solid and useful.
      >
      > We've seen some, albeit fairly limited, attempts from the big video
      > services to add stuff to video, in terms of being able to insert links or
      > annotation to certain objects shown within a video. But even discounting the
      > tech limitations, Im left not quite sure how useful this stuff usually is,
      > is it worth the effort? Sometimes it really feels like its getting in the
      > way, maybe a lot of the time I really just want to consume video in linear
      > fashion and keep interactivity and communication for another part of the
      > site.
      >
      > Looking ahead I wonder how much video might get mixed in with online gaming
      > & 3D. I know that some years ago some people experimented with video in
      > Second Life but it seemed a bit like that stuff ended up as a bit of a fad?
      >
      > Are all the various ways that people can share different media on the web
      > providing a good foundation and all we need is a nicer way of presenting and
      > interacting with this stuff? I still daydream about better ways to mix
      > microblogging, photos, video & music & conversations together on the web,
      > but actual concrete ideas about how to do this seem to evade me.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Steve

    • ratbagradio
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2010
        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "elbowsofdeath" <steve@...> wrote:

        > Are all the various ways that people can share different media on the web providing a good foundation and all we need is a nicer way of presenting and interacting with this stuff? I still daydream about better ways to mix microblogging, photos, video & music & conversations together on the web, but actual concrete ideas about how to do this seem to evade me.

        Dream on! That's the quest. Since I ain't code proficient I'm not about to redesign the web but it's the mix that matters -- and how to DISPLAY the mix.

        In my daily blog existence I post a lot of audio

        ---now using this cute flash generator
        http://flash-mp3-player.net/players/maxi/generator/

        I post slideshows either as powerpoint
        ---using slideshare
        http://www.slideshare.net/

        ---or as image slideshows (when I use Picasa slideshow tool)
        http://www.tools4noobs.com/picasa/

        or as pdf presentations, using Sribd
        http://www.scribd.com/

        and videos of course from all over...

        but to pull it together I've tried networking video
        http://videoactiv.blogspot.com/
        and audio
        http://leftclickblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/audio.html
        into channel aggregates.

        But ultimately I tend to believe it's not the site per see that matters but the RSS feed. Thats' where the magic happens.

        I think thats' the key direction that will over time likely bear the best fruit. It's so easy to mix and match feeds rather than websites.

        dave riley