Re: [videoblogging] Fwd: Online Video Monetization Summit, May 5th in NYC

  • Joly MacFie
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2010
      Essentially it looks like a sales pitch for Brightcove.. perhaps they
      should be paying you to attend.. :)

      Joly MacFie 218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
      WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
      Secretary - ISOC-NY - http://isoc-ny.org
    • Rupert Howe
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2010
        :) I know, it's always a case of listening to a series of people
        giving you a sales pitch at these things, however well disguised it is
        - but they still usually try to charge you for the pleasure, roping in
        an array of clueless suckers who are desperate not to be left behind.
        But it's still interesting to hear how businesses are selling online
        video at the moment.
        Rupert
        http://twittervlog.tv/

      • David Jones
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2010
          On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

          > It's free?!
          > If anybody here is going to this, would love to have a peek at their
          > notes :)
          > Rupert
          > http://twittervlog.tv

          It's a crock, they are just flogging their own stuff.
          Notice no mention of the words Youtube or Adsense.
          Making money from video blogs and other online content is easy, it's a
          two step process:
          1) Google Adsense ads
          2) Youtube channel linked to Google Adsense.

          Anything else is almost guaranteed to be a waste of time and effort.

          Dave.
        • Rupert Howe
          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2010
            That's one way of making money as a producer, sure. Particularly for
            videobloggers, it's the easiest way. But videobloggers are not really
            the point here in this Brightcove thing.

            People are finding and experimenting with other ways of making money
            through online video apart from advertising, and apart from Google/YT
            ads. People interested in making money from independent production
            don't want to just be dependent on the crumbs that Google throw their
            way after they've plastered their content in keyword-targeted overlay

            There are a lot of other things that producers, agencies, brands, etc
            are interested in - and from what I saw of the breakdown of the day
            it's not just a flog from Brightcove - though sure, there'll be
            plenty of that - and *of course* you wouldn't expect them to be
            pimping Google in their description.

            For an unusually free day, though, the main benefits would seem to me
            to be the other people attending, who are usually the most interesting
            part of events like this, and Brightcove's own data about people's
            viewing habits & perspective on the future, and also the speakers from
            Ogilvy, Tubemogul, Freewheel & Quantcast - and the discussions cover
            things like:
            Mobile Advertising, Over-the-Top Distribution, Advertising in Live
            Events, Bringing TV Advertisers Online, Digital Ad serving Standards &
            Audience Measurement & Profiling.
            Especially given the profusion of IPTV Set Top Box, internet ready TV
            sets and portable devices like the iPad this year.

            Anyway, not perhaps a videoblogger thing, but I wouldn't say just a
            crock

            Rupert
            http://twittervlog.tv

            On 2 May 2010, at 00:56, David Jones wrote:

            > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > It's free?!
            > > If anybody here is going to this, would love to have a peek at their
            > > notes :)
            > > Rupert
            > > http://twittervlog.tv
            >
            > It's a crock, they are just flogging their own stuff.
            > Notice no mention of the words Youtube or Adsense.
            > Making money from video blogs and other online content is easy, it's a
            > two step process:
            > 1) Google Adsense ads
            > 2) Youtube channel linked to Google Adsense.
            >
            > Anything else is almost guaranteed to be a waste of time and effort.
            >
            > Dave.

          • daredolls
            Message 5 of 19 , May 2, 2010
              heck, i'd pay somebody to go for me, or, to be specific, i'd give a piece of any action to one who helps arrange it.

              i would love to take the easy path, google adsense and youtube, but, as has happened over and over in the history of the small screen, edgy material gets pushed aside and has to find the new paths.

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

              > That's one way of making money as a producer, sure. Particularly for
              > videobloggers, it's the easiest way. But videobloggers are not really
              > the point here in this Brightcove thing.
              >
              > People are finding and experimenting with other ways of making money
              > through online video apart from advertising, and apart from Google/YT
              > ads. People interested in making money from independent production
              > don't want to just be dependent on the crumbs that Google throw their
              > way after they've plastered their content in keyword-targeted overlay
              >
              > There are a lot of other things that producers, agencies, brands, etc
              > are interested in - and from what I saw of the breakdown of the day
              > it's not just a flog from Brightcove - though sure, there'll be
              > plenty of that - and *of course* you wouldn't expect them to be
              > pimping Google in their description.
              >
              > For an unusually free day, though, the main benefits would seem to me
              > to be the other people attending, who are usually the most interesting
              > part of events like this, and Brightcove's own data about people's
              > viewing habits & perspective on the future, and also the speakers from
              > Ogilvy, Tubemogul, Freewheel & Quantcast - and the discussions cover
              > things like:
              > Mobile Advertising, Over-the-Top Distribution, Advertising in Live
              > Events, Bringing TV Advertisers Online, Digital Ad serving Standards &
              > Audience Measurement & Profiling.
              > Especially given the profusion of IPTV Set Top Box, internet ready TV
              > sets and portable devices like the iPad this year.
              >
              > Anyway, not perhaps a videoblogger thing, but I wouldn't say just a
              > crock
              >
              > Rupert
              > http://twittervlog.tv
              >
              > On 2 May 2010, at 00:56, David Jones wrote:
              >
              > > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > It's free?!
              > > > If anybody here is going to this, would love to have a peek at their
              > > > notes :)
              > > > Rupert
              > > > http://twittervlog.tv
              > >
              > > It's a crock, they are just flogging their own stuff.
              > > Notice no mention of the words Youtube or Adsense.
              > > Making money from video blogs and other online content is easy, it's a
              > > two step process:
              > > 1) Google Adsense ads
              > > 2) Youtube channel linked to Google Adsense.
              > >
              > > Anything else is almost guaranteed to be a waste of time and effort.
              > >
              > > Dave.

            • David Jones
              Message 6 of 19 , May 2, 2010
                On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 1:53 AM, daredolls <daredoll@...> wrote:

                > heck, i'd pay somebody to go for me, or, to be specific, i'd give a piece of any action to one who helps arrange it.
                >
                > i would love to take the easy path, google adsense and youtube, but, as has happened over and over in the history of the small screen, edgy material gets pushed aside and has to find the new paths.

                Can you please explain?
                I get the impression you were somehow forced out of using Google
                Adsense and Youtube?

                Dave.
              • daredolls
                Message 7 of 19 , May 3, 2010
                  our work, like 50% or so of what is on youtube, does not pass the church lady standard. all you have to do to get a competitor's product removed from youtube is flag it as innappropriate. a pornographic producer took offense at our million channel views in 4 months and started flagging us. has been flagging us for 4 years. his pornography is still there, we could return the favor and start a flagging war but we have not. that, by the way, was youtube's suggestion as to how we handle this.

                  we can't even protest use of our video by others because our company name is banned from youtube and to file a copyright complaint it has to be in the name of the rights holder.

                  i started making video in 1973. each and every project i have been involved in manages to push the envelope somehow.

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Jones <david.jones@...> wrote:

                  > On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 1:53 AM, daredolls <daredoll@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > heck, i'd pay somebody to go for me, or, to be specific, i'd give a piece of any action to one who helps arrange it.
                  > >
                  > > i would love to take the easy path, google adsense and youtube, but, as has happened over and over in the history of the small screen, edgy material gets pushed aside and has to find the new paths.
                  >
                  > Can you please explain?
                  > I get the impression you were somehow forced out of using Google
                  > Adsense and Youtube?
                  >
                  > Dave.

                • elbowsofdeath
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 3, 2010
                    I very much doubt that you have to be a user of the service in order to file a takedown notice under the DMCA. You being banned from youtube should have no bearing on your your ability to protect your copyright.

                    Cheers

                    Steve

                    > we can't even protest use of our video by others because our company name is banned from youtube and to file a copyright complaint it has to be in the name of the rights holder.
                  • Mark Villaseñor
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 3, 2010
                      Steve Elbows: "I very much doubt that you have to be a user of the service
                      in order to file a takedown notice under the DMCA."

                      I agree.

                      17 USC §1203 is clear about this, as is ample supporting case law. Being
                      "banned" from a video ISP (YT, Yahoo, etc.) cannot and does not preclude one
                      from defending copyright.

                      Mark Villaseñor,
                      http://www.TailTrex.tv
                      Canine Adventures For Charity - sm
                      http://www.SOAR508.org
                    • David Jones
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 3, 2010
                        On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 2:22 AM, daredolls <daredoll@...> wrote:

                        > our work, like 50% or so of what is on youtube, does not pass the church lady standard. all you have to do to get a competitor's product removed from youtube is flag it as innappropriate. a pornographic producer took offense at our million channel views in 4 months and started flagging us. has been flagging us for 4 years. his pornography is still there, we could return the favor and start a flagging war but we have not. that, by the way, was youtube's suggestion as to how we handle this.
                        >
                        > we can't even protest use of our video by others because our company name is banned from youtube and to file a copyright complaint it has to be in the name of the rights holder.

                        I greatly doubt you can be stopped from filing a DMCA notice.

                        Also, if someone on Youtube is using your material then join under
                        another name and then provide proof of your rights to the work and
                        start flagging away. You don't have to have a channel in your company
                        name, you just need to prove ownership to the work.

                        Dave.
                      • daredolls
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 3, 2010
                          so go there, claim our rights, use our name, see what happens.
                          dyna-flix.com

                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Mark Villaseñor <videoblogyahoogroup@...> wrote:

                          > Steve Elbows: "I very much doubt that you have to be a user of the service
                          > in order to file a takedown notice under the DMCA."
                          >
                          > I agree.
                          >
                          > 17 USC §1203 is clear about this, as is ample supporting case law. Being
                          > "banned" from a video ISP (YT, Yahoo, etc.) cannot and does not preclude one
                          > from defending copyright.
                          >
                          > Mark Villaseñor,
                          > http://www.TailTrex.tv
                          > Canine Adventures For Charity - sm
                          > http://www.SOAR508.org

                        • daredolls
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 3, 2010
                            24 hours a minute. the current stats on youtube uploads.

                            who besides me was surprised at the suggestion that the plethora of videos on youtube was a clear and present danger to the porn guys that built the net .

                            voyuers are what they are, no matter how they find what you have to offer.

                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Jones <david.jones@...> wrote:

                            > On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 2:22 AM, daredolls <daredoll@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > our work, like 50% or so of what is on youtube, does not pass the church lady standard. all you have to do to get a competitor's product removed from youtube is flag it as innappropriate. a pornographic producer took offense at our million channel views in 4 months and started flagging us. has been flagging us for 4 years. his pornography is still there, we could return the favor and start a flagging war but we have not. that, by the way, was youtube's suggestion as to how we handle this.
                            > >
                            > > we can't even protest use of our video by others because our company name is banned from youtube and to file a copyright complaint it has to be in the name of the rights holder.
                            >
                            > I greatly doubt you can be stopped from filing a DMCA notice.
                            >
                            > Also, if someone on Youtube is using your material then join under
                            > another name and then provide proof of your rights to the work and
                            > start flagging away. You don't have to have a channel in your company
                            > name, you just need to prove ownership to the work.
                            >
                            > Dave.

                          • elbowsofdeath
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                              What are you going on about?

                              Protecting your copyrighted works via takedown notices is not the same as signing up for the site in order to upload content.

                              And other people cannot claim to be the copyright holder and start throwing takedown notices around on your behalf, that we be bogus and an abuse of the DMCA.

                              Cheers

                              Steve

                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "daredolls" <daredoll@...> wrote:

                              > so go there, claim our rights, use our name, see what happens.
                              > dyna-flix.com
                              >
                              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Mark Villaseñor <videoblogyahoogroup@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Steve Elbows: "I very much doubt that you have to be a user of the service
                              > > in order to file a takedown notice under the DMCA."
                              > >
                              > > I agree.
                              > >
                              > > 17 USC §1203 is clear about this, as is ample supporting case law. Being
                              > > "banned" from a video ISP (YT, Yahoo, etc.) cannot and does not preclude one
                              > > from defending copyright.
                              > >
                              > > Mark Villaseñor,
                              > > http://www.TailTrex.tv
                              > > Canine Adventures For Charity - sm
                              > > http://www.SOAR508.org

                            • Mark Villaseñor
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                                daredolls: "so go there, claim our rights, use our name, see what happens."

                                Ahhmmm, yeah, right... This issue requires only a pittance of comprehensive
                                grasp; you are mistaken. Intellectual Property defense does not depend upon
                                membership with a subject ISP. Never has, probably never will. PERIOD!

                                What you're suggesting (that one must first be a member of a target ISP,
                                before IP Rights can be exercised) is preposterous -- erroneous in the
                                extreme. Although you needn't take my word for this, any half-decent IP
                                lawyer will tell you the same. Therefore I suggest you consult with one, if
                                you're truly having trouble addressing copyright infringement(s).

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                                  I'll chime in on YouTube

                                  DMCA is one thing - one can file, and then the recipient can file a
                                  counter-notice to get the file put back up, and one has no option
                                  except to satrt proceedings. Thus it is not a very effective or
                                  economical way to take stuff down

                                  Terms Of Use takedowns on content on the other hand are pretty much
                                  indefensible.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                                    Joly MacFie: "...one can file [DMCA], and then the recipient can file a
                                    counter-notice to get the file put back up, and one has no option except to
                                    satrt proceedings. Thus it is not a very effective or economical way to take
                                    stuff down"

                                    Presuming you are referring to litigation by use of the term "proceedings,"
                                    I agree in a general context.

                                    However for one skilled in such matter filing suit in California (YouTube's
                                    Judicial Jurisdiction pursuant to its TOS) a Limited Civil Case can be
                                    prosecuted for just under $200, for say (as but one example) violation of
                                    Cal. B&P §17200; the same applies in a broader sense for Federal cases under
                                    17 USC §1203. (By de facto one agrees to a California jurisdiction when
                                    using YT.)

                                    Even with Attorney representation, prosecuting an IP Infringement case would
                                    not necessarily entail great costs; considering the tactical advantage
                                    California offers (in most Internet related actions).

                                    Bottom-line nonetheless, is; messing with the wrong folk, like stupidity,
                                    can be costly if not painfully significant. :D

                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                                      On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM, daredolls <daredoll@...> wrote:

                                      > 24 hours a minute. the current stats on youtube uploads.
                                      >
                                      > who besides me was surprised at the suggestion that the plethora of videos on youtube was a clear and present danger to the porn guys that built the net .
                                      >
                                      > voyuers are what they are, no matter how they find what you have to offer.

                                      As someone else said, what on earth are you going on about?

                                      If someone is stealing your content then simply file a DMCA notice.

                                      If you are banned from Youtube then it's probably because your
                                      (risque?) content is too close to the bone for their Terms-of-Service
                                      which generally precludes such things at their discretion. So try
                                      another service provider or even get your own server.

                                      Dave.