Re:adding click through url to movie

  • Bill Vick
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2010
      Julian - I've looked at several services that provide URL click throughs. It usually means being hosted on their servers and after looking at several of them the one that looks like the best solution for me is Veeple at http://www.veeple.com/.

      Not cheap but one of the best implementations I've seen.

      Bill
    • Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 27, 2010
        not forgetting that you can do this in QT if that is the format you want to
        present in. No need to special servers, etc.

        an appropriate closing
        Adrian Miles
        School of Media and Communication
        Program Director B.Comm Honours
        vogmae.net.au

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2010
          > On occasion I need to export a mov or mp4 movie as a Flash (flv) file.
          > I'd like to be able to embed a click through url in the movie like you can do in Adobe Flash. I'd use Flash but I'm not shelling out $900 for something I need once in a while.
          > Does anyone have any other solutions such as third party tools that would do this?
          > I run on a Mac but I have PC's sitting around if need be.

          An old member of this group made a cool service here:
          http://www.solitude.dk/archives/linkubator/
          It wont work on Flash videos but still cool.

          http://ryanishungry.com
          http://twitter.com/jaydedman
          917 371 6790
        • Michael Sullivan
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 28, 2010
            In the past, if the video was only delivered via my own site/page, I would
            make the entire swf clickable with a transparent div overlay.
            For videos that are to move around and be shared and embedded around the
            web, I had opted to convert the video to swf format and hardcoded the canvas
            to be clickable to either a hardcoded default url or a dynamic url if the
            embed code contained the proper flashvar (i.e. url=http://mypermalink.com).

            Likewise, By using Javascript APIs in certain flash players or html5
            players, you can expose hyperlinks on the page at certain times or events.
            Other linking features are often available like watermark logos or menu
            links. The popular Jeroen/Longtail Video Player offers these:
            http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/jw-player/jw-player-for-flash-v5/10628/configuring-the-jw-player-pro

            These techniques are hacky but were sufficient for certain needs. Sounds
            like you might want actual hyperlink text or graphics to appear at certain a
            certain point during a video or maybe multiple links etc.
            And as you seem to know, their is software out there for doing this....
            typically used for ads. Here is some current news on such tech:
            http://www.marketingvox.com/adcenter-labs-shows-off-breakthroughs-video-hyperlinks-026592/

            Quicktime allows for better hyperlinking within the canvas as has been
            pointed out.
            This is a good solution if you don't mind mandating Quicktime as the player.

            Would be interested to know about other options myself. Let us know if you
            find any interesting and affordable solutions.

            Sull

            On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Julian Seery Gude <julian@...>wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > On occasion I need to export a mov or mp4 movie as a Flash (flv) file.
            >
            > I'd like to be able to embed a click through url in the movie like you can
            > do in Adobe Flash. I'd use Flash but I'm not shelling out $900 for something
            > I need once in a while.
            >
            > Does anyone have any other solutions such as third party tools that would
            > do this?
            >
            > I run on a Mac but I have PC's sitting around if need be.
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > /julian
            >
            > ---
            > Julian Seery Gude
            > julian@... <julian%40exceler8.com>
            > {561} 584-9088 or {skype} exceler8
            > LOCALNa8ion.com and exceler8.com
            > http://www.google.com/profiles/jinfinite8

          • Mark VillaseƱor
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 28, 2010
              Julian Seery Gude: "I'd like to be able to embed a click through url in the
              movie like you can do in Adobe Flash. I'd use Flash but I'm not shelling out
              $900 for something I need once in a while. Does anyone have any other
              solutions such as third party tools that would do this?"

              Hi Julian:
              For occasional use I'd suggest looking at the Wimpy Wasp player
              (http://www.wimpyplayer.com/products/wimpy_wasp.html). It can read both
              MP4/Quicktime files as well as Flash and has the ability to facilitate
              click-able overlays. This is a server-side application so bandwidth should
              be considered in relation to anticipated views; i.e., more simultaneous
              views = slower streaming from most HTML hosting services.

              Also, Flash 8 Professional can be had on Ebay for under $200 bucks.

              Hope this helps.

              Mark VillaseƱor,
              http://www.TailTrex.tv
              Canine Adventures For Charity - sm