Re: [videoblogging] Anyone see this yet? Video subtitling initiative by Mozilla...

  • Mike Meiser
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26 8:12 PM
      Glad to see Miro is still kicking it and staying relevant.

      I noticed hat they also have conversion for practically any video device.
      http://lifehacker.com/5510682/miro-video-converter-easily-converts-video-for-your-android-psp-or-apple-device

      Been awhile since I used it.

      I also notice Boxee, which I believe is also open source or based off
      open source has been making good waves.

      Heard it was possibly coming to Android.

      Excited about the potentials of android, like I was fond of saying
      "the other 99.99% of the world's first computer will be a handheld
      device or cell phone."

      The idea of a desktop computer will be laughable to geration born
      today...as silly as a rotary phone.

      Phones are already doing things computers were just a couple years
      ago. More importantly they've brought a whole new context to computing
      and do a whole lot more.

      FInally I'm pleased to see that podcatchers (or whaever you like to
      call them) are ubiquitously integrated into android phones. A half
      dozen or so exist of varying qualities. Most just stream, some cache.
      At least one does video as well.

      Getting a HTC Incredible this Thrs or Friday, will be digging further into this.

      Most interesting to me it seems twitter/microblogging ironically seems
      to be the mechanism by which most personal video, photo and other
      media is delivered. The idea of media-rss and caching and what not
      has served it's purposes but largely gone in a different direction...
      i.e. media-rss has enabled search and increased interoperability,
      created seemless media viewing experiences and increased general
      transparency of the media rich web. but it's still the simplest
      communication means through which most inter-personal many-to-many
      communication is channeled. Even facebook is to complex for many.

      Peace,

      -Mike

      On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Adam Warner <awarner20@...> wrote:
      > I stand corrected...
      >

      > Sincerely,
      >

      > Adam W. Warner

    • elbowsofdeath
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27 8:31 AM
        For reasons that are unclear to me, I think that Miro converter is tending to encode to mpeg4 rather than h.264, at least with the presets they provide?

        Yeah Android has potential, think Im going to wait a bit longer before trying it though, think it could use just a tad more polish. Would like to see android-based tablets, as I still struggle somewhat with mobile-sized screens, though in many other senses mobiles are more practical than tablets.

        I was reading something the other day about the relative demise of RSS compared to the likes of twitter. I guess its sort of true, though Im still a bit lost in this age of social webs, I dont find as many videos to watch this way as all the hype would suggest. There are still issues with one service coming to dominate as well, as seen recently with Facebooks 'Open Graph' Like button stuff.

        Any good video services built on top of twitter or facebook that people know about?

        Cheers

        Steve