Re: [videoblogging] vlog research - low income/urban

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
      > Hi, I'm researching a topic that has to do with encouraging kids from
      > low income and/or urban landscapes to express themselves with video.
      > This could be both singly or as part of an educational program. I
      > vaguely remember a few years ago a number of interesting projects that
      > focused on videoblogging from both within the US and also less
      > developed nations. Can anyone point to such projects/sites -- or does
      > anyone know how successful such efforts have been? I'm imaging that a
      > significant challenge would be funding such an effort and also giving
      > access to cameras and editing software to the kids.

      There are a number of people from this list who have had experienced
      teaching videoblogging to these kinds of communities. I know Rupert
      taught Roma kids in England. I think Kerry is currently running a
      program for Somali(?) students in Ohio. Ryanne and I have taught
      different workshops as well. Like this:
      http://ryanedit.blogspot.com/2006/10/tibetan-kids-vlogging_29.html

      I cant think of any one place where there is a collection of material.
      Be great if there was. Maybe ask some more specific questions. Or
      others can chime in.

      We've had discussions here before about the problems of teaching
      videoblogging, especially in low income/education areas. First its
      difficult to get access to technology (hardware+broadband) on a
      regular basis. Maybe this is changing with the popularity of smart
      phones. Then it's a matter of the time it takes to learn how to tell
      stories. Editing isnt easy. People are shy. Culture clashes can be
      difficult. But all this is changing each year as videoblogging becomes
      more normal.

      http://ryanishungry.com
      http://momentshowing.net
      http://twitter.com/jaydedman
      917 371 6790
    • Lisa Harper
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
        Very helpful pointers, Gena and Jay.

        I'm a bit embarrassed to say this is research for a final project in an
        information architecture class. The makers of a small, independent film
        focused on events surrounding a middle school, urban kid want to develop
        their original concept into an educational series -- but in a participatory
        fashion. They would like to encourage kids (likely through educators) to
        learn about film and contribute original footage. Anything beyond this
        basic concept appears to be the stuff of research and imagination. I though
        to reach out to the the video blogging community on grassroots projects that
        might offer insight. Certainly, not only questions concerning IA (scenarios,
        design, etc) important, but also questions such as feasibility, cost, etc.

        Lisa

        On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM, compumavengal
        <compumavengal@...>wrote:

        > Hi Lisa,
        >
        > Kids and teens are creating video content independent of school. Finding
        > classroom appropriate videos would mean a lot of YouTube slogging through
        > "um, yeah, whatever..." type videos.
        >
        > Start with skateborders and go from there. That is part of the key to
        > finding content. What would the students want to see? After eliminating the
        > first and second things coming out of their mouths you could find gems.
        >
        > The costs has dropped dramatically. Yes, still expensive for a school
        > district cramping for funds but editing software is already on the computers
        > for Mac and PCs.
        >
        > There are inexpensive web camcorders between $50 - $100. You don't need
        > anything else but time.
        >
        > On the education vibe:
        >
        > The projects can be teacher initiated or as part of an overall educational
        > program. Because kids are involved many of the projects are behind school
        > district intranets. There are a few video projects that are on-line but tend
        > to have older students as participants.
        >
        > It helps to look for the teachers as creators/initiators in order to find
        > the projects or dive into the educational non-profits that showcase these
        > type of projects.
        >
        > Edutopia http://www.edutopia.org/video and
        > http://www.edutopia.org/digital-generation where you can find examples of
        > education based video projects that involve students.
        >
        > Also there is TiltTV http://tilttv.blogspot.com
        >
        > Shannon Miller of Van Meter Library is constantly finding new media
        > applications and projects that can be adapted for educational use
        > http://vanmeterlibraryvoice.blogspot.com She is a virtual jump point for
        > all kinds of classroom 2.0 activities.
        >
        > From Canada - Living Archives http://livingarchives.ca/
        > Smart History on using technology to teach
        > http://smarthistory.org/blog/category/video-podcasts/
        >
        > Can you be more specific as to what exactly you are looking for? Are you
        > searching for how-to do this, what do you need or how much is this gonna
        > cost and can it be done?
        >
        > The resources are out there but they are spread out across multiple
        > disciplines and interest groups.
        >
        > Gena
        > http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com/

        > Lisa Harper <lisah2u@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi, I'm researching a topic that has to do with encouraging kids from
        > > low income and/or urban landscapes to express themselves with video.
        > > This could be both singly or as part of an educational program. I
        > > vaguely remember a few years ago a number of interesting projects that
        > > focused on videoblogging from both within the US and also less
        > > developed nations. Can anyone point to such projects/sites -- or does
        > > anyone know how successful such efforts have been? I'm imaging that a
        > > significant challenge would be funding such an effort and also giving
        > > access to cameras and editing software to the kids.
        > >
        > > Lisa

      • compumavengal
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
          I think I have something about teachers doing grassroots video participation with kids. I have to dig through a pile of bookmarks so it might be a day or so for me to fish it out.

          If I find it I'll let you know.

          Gena

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Harper <lisah2u@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > disciplines and interest groups.
          > >
          > > Gena
          > > http://createvideonotebook.blogspot.com/
          > >

          > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > Lisa Harper <lisah2u@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi, I'm researching a topic that has to do with encouraging kids from
          > > > low income and/or urban landscapes to express themselves with video.
          > > > This could be both singly or as part of an educational program. I
          > > > vaguely remember a few years ago a number of interesting projects that
          > > > focused on videoblogging from both within the US and also less
          > > > developed nations. Can anyone point to such projects/sites -- or does
          > > > anyone know how successful such efforts have been? I'm imaging that a
          > > > significant challenge would be funding such an effort and also giving
          > > > access to cameras and editing software to the kids.

        • ratbagradio
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
            The complication is that while there are programs to teach video at school, uploading and sharing online isn't necessarily something schools want to incorporate as part of the program.

            There are practical, legal [eg:release authority]and ethical [eg: videoing minors ] issues at stake.As far as I know this cripples a lot of direct and formal educational interface with Web 2.0 prospects and hampers separate community projects for the same reason.(eg: it would be standard that any video project would have in place from the start a set rule of procedure).

            So there are two issues here as maybe 'videoblogging' does not reflect something that while very buoyant, is offline.

            Here in Australia there are some exciting initiatives formatted by making video cameras available to Indigenous children in isolated Aboriginal communities -- but these same locales won't necessarily have web access.

            I nonetheless expect major creative advances of some consequence as video is being used as a expressive tool among kids whose first language isn't English and who don't necessarily embrace White Australia's preference for writing and reading.

            Video is also more culturally useful because it is more in sync with a verbal tradition rather than a literal and printed one.

            dave riley
          • Christian Wach
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2010
              Hi Lisa,

              You might like to look into "Participatory Video":

              http://insightshare.org/

              Would seem to be a good fit for your scenario.

              Cheers,

              Christian

            • brogan_kerry
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2010