Re: [videoblogging] Helmet Hero Wide questions

  • Richard Amirault
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Lisa Rein"
      > A friend of mine is using this go pro helmet cam when he's doing his
      > racing vids:
      >
      > here's the camera: http://tinyurl.com/goprowide
      >
      > and here's the latest vid he's shot so far with it:
      > http://www.youtube.com/user/zjdub66#p/a/u/1/yB4J49_BOqg
      >
      > I'm wondering if there's any way to get higher quality out of that camera.
      > He mentioned there's a firmware download that will let it take a 4 GB
      > card, but I don't think that improves the quality.
      >
      > As you can see from the vid, he's moving pretty fast...
      >
      > I'm wondering if he can trade in some of the length (53 minutes) for
      > higher quality or something.

      That is a standard definition camera. If he wants high def .. sell that and
      buy one of the companys HD units.

      Richard Amirault
      Boston, MA, USA
      http://n1jdu.org
      http://bostonfandom.org
    • Kevin Lim
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
        Hey all,
        I had the SD GoPro Hero cam, and recently bought the HD version. Not only
        do you get better resolution, the sensor seems to capture more vividly,
        especially outdoors. It's such high quality that even importing into iMovie
        seems to drop the HD video quality down a notch. I probably have to figure
        out how to import it properly.

        Here's an example I shoot using the car mount:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn5l4BvjPE4

        For geeks, a few subtle difference between SD & HD versions:
        - HD version now dates footage, while SD version didn't have any!
        - Audio pickup is much improved, factoring wind noise.
        - Interval shots allow longer timing, up to 1 shot per minute.

        I carry it out quite often, simply because it's probably the smallest
        fisheye lens camera around. Almost 180 degrees, but actually 170.

        Kevin Lim // cyberculturalist
        http://theory.isthereason.com
        Transmitted from my iPhone

        > A friend of mine is using this go pro helmet cam when he's doing his
        > racing vids:
        >
        > here's the camera: http://tinyurl.com/goprowide
        >
        > and here's the latest vid he's shot so far with it:
        > http://www.youtube.com/user/zjdub66#p/a/u/1/yB4J49_BOqg
        >
        > I'm wondering if there's any way to get higher quality out of that camera.
        > He mentioned there's a firmware download that will let it take a 4 GB
        > card, but I don't think that improves the quality.
        >
        > As you can see from the vid, he's moving pretty fast...
        >
        > I'm wondering if he can trade in some of the length (53 minutes) for
        > higher quality or something.

        That is a standard definition camera. If he wants high def .. sell that and
        buy one of the companys HD units.

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org

      • Lisa Rein
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
          great info kevin, thanks :)

          So it's actually is a fisheye? and not just a wide angle? That's what my
          friend wuz tryin to tell me hehe...

          so you're recommendation is to just get the HD version? or do you know if
          there's any way to get more out of the SD?

          thanks!!

          lisa

          Lisa Rein

          http://onlisareinsradar.com
          http://www.lisarein.com
        • Kevin Lim
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
            Lisa,
            To be fair, I think it's more of a really-wide-angle than fisheye. From
            what I've read, the difference is that fisheye produce a distinct
            hemispherical distortion. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens.

            The GoPro Hero Camera seems to be quite wide, but before the distortion gets
            as pronounced as a typical fisheye.

            --
            Kevin Lim
            Cyberculturalist