Helmet Hero Wide questions

  • Lisa Rein
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
      Hi gang,

      I need your expert advice peeps ;)

      A friend of mine is using this go pro helmet cam when he's doing his
      racing vids:

      here's the camera: http://tinyurl.com/goprowide

      and here's the latest vid he's shot so far with it:
      http://www.youtube.com/user/zjdub66#p/a/u/1/yB4J49_BOqg

      I'm wondering if there's any way to get higher quality out of that camera.
      He mentioned there's a firmware download that will let it take a 4 GB
      card, but I don't think that improves the quality.

      As you can see from the vid, he's moving pretty fast...

      I'm wondering if he can trade in some of the length (53 minutes) for
      higher quality or something.

      here are the specs:

      Model Number: GHHW5170

      Resolution: 5 megapixel (2592x1944) photo, 512x384 video

      Sensor: CMOS

      Video Format: MJPEG, 30 fps, saved as .AVI file

      Optics: glass lens, f/2.8 aperture, with ultra-wide 170ยบ angle of view

      Modes: video, standard photo, photo every 2 or 5 secs, 3x photo burst
      sequence, self timer, upside down photo/video flip

      Exposure Control: auto

      White Balance: auto

      Self Timer: 10 seconds

      Microphone: built-in with adjustable recording/input level

      Audio Format: 8kHz, mono

      Memory: 16 MB internal, expandable to 2GB with SD card (not included),
      expandable to 4GB with SDHC card (not included) via free firmware upgrade

      Capacity: 56 minutes video (incl. audio) or 1,945 photos with optional 2GB
      SD card. 1hr 52min video (incl. audio) with optional 4GB SDHC card

      Power: 2x AAA batteries (not included), lithium batteries highly
      recommended. 3hrs. video recording with lithium, 2hrs. with NiMH

      TV Out (with RCA cable): NTSC or PAL

      PC Connection: USB + RCA combo cable

      PC Compatibility: Windows ME, 2000, XP, and Vista; Mac OS X 10.2 and later

      Waterproof: rated to 100 feet/30 meters

      Dimensions: 1.75" x 2.30" x 1.25"/4.45cm x 5.84cm x 3.18cm (H x W x D)

      Weight: 4.9 oz/139 g

      well thanks guys!

      lisa
    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
        From: "Lisa Rein"
        > A friend of mine is using this go pro helmet cam when he's doing his
        > racing vids:
        >
        > here's the camera: http://tinyurl.com/goprowide
        >
        > and here's the latest vid he's shot so far with it:
        > http://www.youtube.com/user/zjdub66#p/a/u/1/yB4J49_BOqg
        >
        > I'm wondering if there's any way to get higher quality out of that camera.
        > He mentioned there's a firmware download that will let it take a 4 GB
        > card, but I don't think that improves the quality.
        >
        > As you can see from the vid, he's moving pretty fast...
        >
        > I'm wondering if he can trade in some of the length (53 minutes) for
        > higher quality or something.

        That is a standard definition camera. If he wants high def .. sell that and
        buy one of the companys HD units.

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • Kevin Lim
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
          Hey all,
          I had the SD GoPro Hero cam, and recently bought the HD version. Not only
          do you get better resolution, the sensor seems to capture more vividly,
          especially outdoors. It's such high quality that even importing into iMovie
          seems to drop the HD video quality down a notch. I probably have to figure
          out how to import it properly.

          Here's an example I shoot using the car mount:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn5l4BvjPE4

          For geeks, a few subtle difference between SD & HD versions:
          - HD version now dates footage, while SD version didn't have any!
          - Audio pickup is much improved, factoring wind noise.
          - Interval shots allow longer timing, up to 1 shot per minute.

          I carry it out quite often, simply because it's probably the smallest
          fisheye lens camera around. Almost 180 degrees, but actually 170.

          Kevin Lim // cyberculturalist
          http://theory.isthereason.com
          Transmitted from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
            great info kevin, thanks :)

            So it's actually is a fisheye? and not just a wide angle? That's what my
            friend wuz tryin to tell me hehe...

            so you're recommendation is to just get the HD version? or do you know if
            there's any way to get more out of the SD?

            thanks!!

            lisa

            Lisa Rein

            http://onlisareinsradar.com
            http://www.lisarein.com
          • Kevin Lim
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
              Lisa,
              To be fair, I think it's more of a really-wide-angle than fisheye. From
              what I've read, the difference is that fisheye produce a distinct
              hemispherical distortion. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens.

              The GoPro Hero Camera seems to be quite wide, but before the distortion gets
              as pronounced as a typical fisheye.

              --
              Kevin Lim
              Cyberculturalist