AVCHD HDC-1080 PocketCam

  • Doctor Mason
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 29, 2010
      Anyone have any data on this device purchased on eBay? Digitronics HD AVCHD HDC-1080 PocketCam Full HD 1080 8.0 Mega Pixels

      Arrived in mail with nothing but the pocketcam, and doesn't seem to show up on google. Plugged it into my USB but WindowsXP doesn't like it. Won't even recharge the battery.

      Any assistance appreciated.

      Thanks from Los Angeles.
    • compumavengal
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30, 2010
        I found one company that has a similar name Digit Tronics that sells a camcorder with similar features.
        http://www.digittronics.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=335

        There is a product description but no support or information page, just a phone number.

        When there is no primary web site or even product reviews of a camcorder I hear the warning bells.

        I can look later for a site that has an driver for XP but Digitronics is one of those common names. Is there any other manufacturing name on the device? Or a serial or product number?

        Oh, I just thought of something. How about you search for the battery and see what similar camcorders come up that use that specific battery. That might give you a clue as to the original manufacturer.

        Gena

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30, 2010
          > Anyone have any data on this device purchased on eBay? Digitronics HD AVCHD HDC-1080 PocketCam Full HD 1080 8.0 Mega Pixels
          > Arrived in mail with nothing but the pocketcam, and doesn't seem to show up on google. Plugged it into my USB but WindowsXP doesn't like it. Won't even recharge the battery.
          > Any assistance appreciated.

          Ivre never heard of this camera either. I'd send it back if you can.
          Sorry if this is obvious....but it's best t do the research on the
          camera you want before you purchase.

          There are many good pockets cameras between $100-200 that have great
          support forums.

          Jay
        • Doctor Mason
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30, 2010
            Gena that looks exactly like mine. That $55 eBay gamble seems to be paying off. Borrowed some 2GB SanDisk SDHC cards from other equipment and they fit. Tried using another USB cable, and it worked fine, now I'm able to charge the battery. Today it took a great demo video, and the sound quality surprised me. It says 1080p on the viewfinder. This Wikipedia article gives more general data; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "compumavengal" <compumavengal@...> wrote:

            > I found one company that has a similar name Digit Tronics that sells a camcorder with similar features.
            > http://www.digittronics.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=335
            >
            > There is a product description but no support or information page, just a phone number.
            >
            > When there is no primary web site or even product reviews of a camcorder I hear the warning bells.
            >
            > I can look later for a site that has an driver for XP but Digitronics is one of those common names. Is there any other manufacturing name on the device? Or a serial or product number?
            >
            > Oh, I just thought of something. How about you search for the battery and see what similar camcorders come up that use that specific battery. That might give you a clue as to the original manufacturer.
            >
            > Gena
            >
            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Doctor Mason" <majick4u2@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Anyone have any data on this device purchased on eBay? Digitronics HD AVCHD HDC-1080 PocketCam Full HD 1080 8.0 Mega Pixels
            > >
            > > Arrived in mail with nothing but the pocketcam, and doesn't seem to show up on google. Plugged it into my USB but WindowsXP doesn't like it. Won't even recharge the battery.
            > >
            > > Any assistance appreciated.
            > >
            > > Thanks from Los Angeles.

          • compumavengal
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 30, 2010
              Glad it worked out for you. I sill think it is dodgy when no one wants to claim ownership of a product. All I could find were third and fourth tier vendors.

              Vlog on...

              Gena

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Doctor Mason" <majick4u2@...> wrote:

              > Gena that looks exactly like mine. That $55 eBay gamble seems to be paying off. Borrowed some 2GB SanDisk SDHC cards from other equipment and they fit. Tried using another USB cable, and it worked fine, now I'm able to charge the battery. Today it took a great demo video, and the sound quality surprised me. It says 1080p on the viewfinder. This Wikipedia article gives more general data; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD
              >
              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "compumavengal" <compumavengal@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I found one company that has a similar name Digit Tronics that sells a camcorder with similar features.
              > > http://www.digittronics.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=335
              > >
              > > There is a product description but no support or information page, just a phone number.
              > >
              > > When there is no primary web site or even product reviews of a camcorder I hear the warning bells.
              > >
              > > I can look later for a site that has an driver for XP but Digitronics is one of those common names. Is there any other manufacturing name on the device? Or a serial or product number?
              > >
              > > Oh, I just thought of something. How about you search for the battery and see what similar camcorders come up that use that specific battery. That might give you a clue as to the original manufacturer.
              > >
              > > Gena
              > >
              > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Doctor Mason" <majick4u2@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Anyone have any data on this device purchased on eBay? Digitronics HD AVCHD HDC-1080 PocketCam Full HD 1080 8.0 Mega Pixels
              > > >
              > > > Arrived in mail with nothing but the pocketcam, and doesn't seem to show up on google. Plugged it into my USB but WindowsXP doesn't like it. Won't even recharge the battery.
              > > >
              > > > Any assistance appreciated.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks from Los Angeles.

            • Roger Conant
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 30, 2010
                Hi. I don't know anything about that particular camera, but I have been shooting with Panasonic's ACVHD Camcorder ( Hmc 150 and 40) They are very good. Working with the files is a new experience. Grass Valley Edius Booster 2.5 software is bundled free with them and works good so far. There are free trial versions available to download from them as well. I mix Canon 7D files and ACVHD in the same project NP. Im a FCP guy but for the PC it does the trick Good luck with your camera. Roger.

                To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
                From: compumavengal@...
                Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:07:58 +0000
                Subject: [videoblogging] Re: AVCHD HDC-1080 PocketCam

                Glad it worked out for you. I sill think it is dodgy when no one wants to claim ownership of a product. All I could find were third and fourth tier vendors.

                Vlog on...

                Gena

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Doctor Mason" <majick4u2@...> wrote:

                > Gena that looks exactly like mine. That $55 eBay gamble seems to be paying off. Borrowed some 2GB SanDisk SDHC cards from other equipment and they fit. Tried using another USB cable, and it worked fine, now I'm able to charge the battery. Today it took a great demo video, and the sound quality surprised me. It says 1080p on the viewfinder. This Wikipedia article gives more general data; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "compumavengal" <compumavengal@> wrote:

                > > I found one company that has a similar name Digit Tronics that sells a camcorder with similar features.

                > > http://www.digittronics.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=335

                > > There is a product description but no support or information page, just a phone number.

                > > When there is no primary web site or even product reviews of a camcorder I hear the warning bells.

                > > I can look later for a site that has an driver for XP but Digitronics is one of those common names. Is there any other manufacturing name on the device? Or a serial or product number?

                > > Oh, I just thought of something. How about you search for the battery and see what similar camcorders come up that use that specific battery. That might give you a clue as to the original manufacturer.

                > > Gena

                > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Doctor Mason" <majick4u2@> wrote:

                > > > Anyone have any data on this device purchased on eBay? Digitronics HD AVCHD HDC-1080 PocketCam Full HD 1080 8.0 Mega Pixels

                > > > Arrived in mail with nothing but the pocketcam, and doesn't seem to show up on google. Plugged it into my USB but WindowsXP doesn't like it. Won't even recharge the battery.

                > > > Any assistance appreciated.

                > > > Thanks from Los Angeles.

              • Lisa Rein
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1 10:06 AM
                  Hi gang,

                  I need your expert advice peeps ;)

                  A friend of mine is using this go pro helmet cam when he's doing his
                  racing vids:

                  here's the camera: http://tinyurl.com/goprowide

                  and here's the latest vid he's shot so far with it:
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/zjdub66#p/a/u/1/yB4J49_BOqg

                  I'm wondering if there's any way to get higher quality out of that camera.
                  He mentioned there's a firmware download that will let it take a 4 GB
                  card, but I don't think that improves the quality.

                  As you can see from the vid, he's moving pretty fast...

                  I'm wondering if he can trade in some of the length (53 minutes) for
                  higher quality or something.

                  here are the specs:

                  Model Number: GHHW5170

                  Resolution: 5 megapixel (2592x1944) photo, 512x384 video

                  Sensor: CMOS

                  Video Format: MJPEG, 30 fps, saved as .AVI file

                  Optics: glass lens, f/2.8 aperture, with ultra-wide 170ยบ angle of view

                  Modes: video, standard photo, photo every 2 or 5 secs, 3x photo burst
                  sequence, self timer, upside down photo/video flip

                  Exposure Control: auto

                  White Balance: auto

                  Self Timer: 10 seconds

                  Microphone: built-in with adjustable recording/input level

                  Audio Format: 8kHz, mono

                  Memory: 16 MB internal, expandable to 2GB with SD card (not included),
                  expandable to 4GB with SDHC card (not included) via free firmware upgrade

                  Capacity: 56 minutes video (incl. audio) or 1,945 photos with optional 2GB
                  SD card. 1hr 52min video (incl. audio) with optional 4GB SDHC card

                  Power: 2x AAA batteries (not included), lithium batteries highly
                  recommended. 3hrs. video recording with lithium, 2hrs. with NiMH

                  TV Out (with RCA cable): NTSC or PAL

                  PC Connection: USB + RCA combo cable

                  PC Compatibility: Windows ME, 2000, XP, and Vista; Mac OS X 10.2 and later

                  Waterproof: rated to 100 feet/30 meters

                  Dimensions: 1.75" x 2.30" x 1.25"/4.45cm x 5.84cm x 3.18cm (H x W x D)

                  Weight: 4.9 oz/139 g

                  well thanks guys!

                  lisa
                • Richard Amirault
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1 10:33 AM
                    From: "Lisa Rein"
                    > A friend of mine is using this go pro helmet cam when he's doing his
                    > racing vids:
                    >
                    > here's the camera: http://tinyurl.com/goprowide
                    >
                    > and here's the latest vid he's shot so far with it:
                    > http://www.youtube.com/user/zjdub66#p/a/u/1/yB4J49_BOqg
                    >
                    > I'm wondering if there's any way to get higher quality out of that camera.
                    > He mentioned there's a firmware download that will let it take a 4 GB
                    > card, but I don't think that improves the quality.
                    >
                    > As you can see from the vid, he's moving pretty fast...
                    >
                    > I'm wondering if he can trade in some of the length (53 minutes) for
                    > higher quality or something.

                    That is a standard definition camera. If he wants high def .. sell that and
                    buy one of the companys HD units.

                    Richard Amirault
                    Boston, MA, USA
                    http://n1jdu.org
                    http://bostonfandom.org
                  • Kevin Lim
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1 10:55 AM
                      Hey all,
                      I had the SD GoPro Hero cam, and recently bought the HD version. Not only
                      do you get better resolution, the sensor seems to capture more vividly,
                      especially outdoors. It's such high quality that even importing into iMovie
                      seems to drop the HD video quality down a notch. I probably have to figure
                      out how to import it properly.

                      Here's an example I shoot using the car mount:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn5l4BvjPE4

                      For geeks, a few subtle difference between SD & HD versions:
                      - HD version now dates footage, while SD version didn't have any!
                      - Audio pickup is much improved, factoring wind noise.
                      - Interval shots allow longer timing, up to 1 shot per minute.

                      I carry it out quite often, simply because it's probably the smallest
                      fisheye lens camera around. Almost 180 degrees, but actually 170.

                      Kevin Lim // cyberculturalist
                      http://theory.isthereason.com
                      Transmitted from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1 11:03 AM
                        great info kevin, thanks :)

                        So it's actually is a fisheye? and not just a wide angle? That's what my
                        friend wuz tryin to tell me hehe...

                        so you're recommendation is to just get the HD version? or do you know if
                        there's any way to get more out of the SD?

                        thanks!!

                        lisa

                        Lisa Rein

                        http://onlisareinsradar.com
                        http://www.lisarein.com
                      • Kevin Lim
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 1 12:18 PM
                          Lisa,
                          To be fair, I think it's more of a really-wide-angle than fisheye. From
                          what I've read, the difference is that fisheye produce a distinct
                          hemispherical distortion. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens.

                          The GoPro Hero Camera seems to be quite wide, but before the distortion gets
                          as pronounced as a typical fisheye.

                          --
                          Kevin Lim
                          Cyberculturalist