Re: boom pole

  • taoofdavid65
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
      You know...you could try a golf ball retriever. It'll extend quite a ways and is still a lot less then $300.

      Personally, my opinion only, if you need to be further away than what a ball retriever will allow, you might want to look in to radio transmitter mics.

      Just a thought.

      David
      http://www.youtube.com/davidhowellca

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Loreta_Vaidas" <loretabirkus@...> wrote:

      > yeah..I already tried that place, thanks David :)) is all going ok for you today? :)
      >
      > I said not too pricey, I do get that they're fairly expensive, but I'm looking for smth in the $300 range.
      >
      > I read somewhere that there are poles where you can buy separate parts for holding it -not the mic stands. So that there's still a possibility to have a handheld pole in addition to placed on the ground.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Loreta
      >
      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taoofdavid65" <taoofdavid@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Cheap?
      > >
      > > Home Depot. Broom pole.
      > >
      > > Not long enough?
      > >
      > > 2 broom poles and Duct Tape.
      > >
      > > 1 person?
      > >
      > > Mic stand.
      > >
      > > David
      > > http://www.youtube.com/davidhowellca
      > >
      > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Loreta_Vaidas" <loretabirkus@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > Can anybody please recommend a good quality (not too pricey please) boom pole for a one person team? I have an Audio-Technica AT875R shot gun mic which I'll be using for my videofilmings and would like a boom pole to go with it. Holding a pole myself is not an option.
      > > >
      > > > Please give me some guidance what features to look for in a pole, where and what best to purchase, etc.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance.
      > > >
      > > > Loreta

    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 12, 2010
        From: "Loreta_Vaidas"
        > Can anybody please recommend a good quality (not too pricey please) boom
        > pole for a one person team?

        I don't understand what a "one person team" is. A "team", by definition
        seems to be a minimum of two.

        > I have an Audio-Technica AT875R shot gun mic which I'll be using for my
        > videofilmings and would like a boom pole to go with it. Holding a pole
        > myself is not an option.

        A "boom pole holder" may work.
        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=boom+pole+holder&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
        but only for a subject that is not moving about.

        > Please give me some guidance what features to look for in a pole, where
        > and what best to purchase, etc.

        Some poles have the mic cable built-in, and of course the length varies.

        You can always go with the Home Depot / Lowes extendable paint pole. But you
        will need to purchase an attachment to convert the end to hold the mic.
        http://cgi.ebay.com/Make-mic-boom-pole-w-adapter-4-rode-other-microphones_W0QQitemZ220557427871QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335a3f449f
        and, of course, this also requires you to run the mic cable the length of
        the pole.

        If you are shooting outdoors you will definitely need a windscreen. The foam
        type may work well enough, or it may not. Better is the "furry" or "dead
        cat" type of windscreen. Even better is a "blimp" type with a furry cover.

        If you have a person to hold the mic/boom pole be sure that they have
        headphones and can actually *hear* the audio from the mic. Otherwise they
        won't know if they are holding the mic / pole properly. This may be a long
        cable running out of the camcorder to the person, or .. you can do "double
        system sound" and record to a high quality digital recorder. In that case
        the recorder can be carried by the boom pole operator and and there is less
        chance of someone tripping on a long cable from the camera. You will need to
        sync-up the sound in editing, but it's not as hard as you might think.

        Richard Amirault
        N1JDU
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • Loreta_Vaidas
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 12, 2010
          David,Richard,

          Thanks for all the advice.

          Yes, it's only me doing all the filming and sound. And yes, I do have a wireless mic system (German brand). It's omnidirectional so I don't think it's suitable for filming outside. That's why I need a boom pole to somehow solve the outside filming situations.

          Is the wind screen (fluffy one) needed any time during filming outside or more when it's really windy? My mic has a black standard one that came with it so wonder if it's not going to be enough. It's usually not windy where I live :)

          Thanks again.

          Loreta

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Amirault" <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]
        • RANDY MANN
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 13, 2010
            you kinda need it every time, it does cut a lot of noise