Re: boom pole

  • Loreta_Vaidas
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
      yeah..I already tried that place, thanks David :)) is all going ok for you today? :)

      I said not too pricey, I do get that they're fairly expensive, but I'm looking for smth in the $300 range.

      I read somewhere that there are poles where you can buy separate parts for holding it -not the mic stands. So that there's still a possibility to have a handheld pole in addition to placed on the ground.

      Thanks.

      Loreta

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taoofdavid65" <taoofdavid@...> wrote:

      > Cheap?
      >
      > Home Depot. Broom pole.
      >
      > Not long enough?
      >
      > 2 broom poles and Duct Tape.
      >
      > 1 person?
      >
      > Mic stand.
      >
      > David
      > http://www.youtube.com/davidhowellca
      >
      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Loreta_Vaidas" <loretabirkus@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > Can anybody please recommend a good quality (not too pricey please) boom pole for a one person team? I have an Audio-Technica AT875R shot gun mic which I'll be using for my videofilmings and would like a boom pole to go with it. Holding a pole myself is not an option.
      > >
      > > Please give me some guidance what features to look for in a pole, where and what best to purchase, etc.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance.
      > >
      > > Loreta

    • taoofdavid65
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
        You know...you could try a golf ball retriever. It'll extend quite a ways and is still a lot less then $300.

        Personally, my opinion only, if you need to be further away than what a ball retriever will allow, you might want to look in to radio transmitter mics.

        Just a thought.

        David
        http://www.youtube.com/davidhowellca

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Loreta_Vaidas" <loretabirkus@...> wrote:

        > yeah..I already tried that place, thanks David :)) is all going ok for you today? :)
        >
        > I said not too pricey, I do get that they're fairly expensive, but I'm looking for smth in the $300 range.
        >
        > I read somewhere that there are poles where you can buy separate parts for holding it -not the mic stands. So that there's still a possibility to have a handheld pole in addition to placed on the ground.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Loreta
        >
        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taoofdavid65" <taoofdavid@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Cheap?
        > >
        > > Home Depot. Broom pole.
        > >
        > > Not long enough?
        > >
        > > 2 broom poles and Duct Tape.
        > >
        > > 1 person?
        > >
        > > Mic stand.
        > >
        > > David
        > > http://www.youtube.com/davidhowellca
        > >
        > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Loreta_Vaidas" <loretabirkus@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > Can anybody please recommend a good quality (not too pricey please) boom pole for a one person team? I have an Audio-Technica AT875R shot gun mic which I'll be using for my videofilmings and would like a boom pole to go with it. Holding a pole myself is not an option.
        > > >
        > > > Please give me some guidance what features to look for in a pole, where and what best to purchase, etc.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks in advance.
        > > >
        > > > Loreta

      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 12, 2010
          From: "Loreta_Vaidas"
          > Can anybody please recommend a good quality (not too pricey please) boom
          > pole for a one person team?

          I don't understand what a "one person team" is. A "team", by definition
          seems to be a minimum of two.

          > I have an Audio-Technica AT875R shot gun mic which I'll be using for my
          > videofilmings and would like a boom pole to go with it. Holding a pole
          > myself is not an option.

          A "boom pole holder" may work.
          http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=boom+pole+holder&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
          but only for a subject that is not moving about.

          > Please give me some guidance what features to look for in a pole, where
          > and what best to purchase, etc.

          Some poles have the mic cable built-in, and of course the length varies.

          You can always go with the Home Depot / Lowes extendable paint pole. But you
          will need to purchase an attachment to convert the end to hold the mic.
          http://cgi.ebay.com/Make-mic-boom-pole-w-adapter-4-rode-other-microphones_W0QQitemZ220557427871QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335a3f449f
          and, of course, this also requires you to run the mic cable the length of
          the pole.

          If you are shooting outdoors you will definitely need a windscreen. The foam
          type may work well enough, or it may not. Better is the "furry" or "dead
          cat" type of windscreen. Even better is a "blimp" type with a furry cover.

          If you have a person to hold the mic/boom pole be sure that they have
          headphones and can actually *hear* the audio from the mic. Otherwise they
          won't know if they are holding the mic / pole properly. This may be a long
          cable running out of the camcorder to the person, or .. you can do "double
          system sound" and record to a high quality digital recorder. In that case
          the recorder can be carried by the boom pole operator and and there is less
          chance of someone tripping on a long cable from the camera. You will need to
          sync-up the sound in editing, but it's not as hard as you might think.

          Richard Amirault
          N1JDU
          http://bostonfandom.org
        • Loreta_Vaidas
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12, 2010
            David,Richard,

            Thanks for all the advice.

            Yes, it's only me doing all the filming and sound. And yes, I do have a wireless mic system (German brand). It's omnidirectional so I don't think it's suitable for filming outside. That's why I need a boom pole to somehow solve the outside filming situations.

            Is the wind screen (fluffy one) needed any time during filming outside or more when it's really windy? My mic has a black standard one that came with it so wonder if it's not going to be enough. It's usually not windy where I live :)

            Thanks again.

            Loreta

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Amirault" <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]
          • RANDY MANN
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 13, 2010
              you kinda need it every time, it does cut a lot of noise