Re: boom pole

  • taoofdavid65
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
      Cheap?

      Home Depot. Broom pole.

      Not long enough?

      2 broom poles and Duct Tape.

      1 person?

      Mic stand.

      David
      http://www.youtube.com/davidhowellca

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Loreta_Vaidas" <loretabirkus@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Can anybody please recommend a good quality (not too pricey please) boom pole for a one person team? I have an Audio-Technica AT875R shot gun mic which I'll be using for my videofilmings and would like a boom pole to go with it. Holding a pole myself is not an option.
      >
      > Please give me some guidance what features to look for in a pole, where and what best to purchase, etc.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Loreta

    • Loreta_Vaidas
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
        yeah..I already tried that place, thanks David :)) is all going ok for you today? :)

        I said not too pricey, I do get that they're fairly expensive, but I'm looking for smth in the $300 range.

        I read somewhere that there are poles where you can buy separate parts for holding it -not the mic stands. So that there's still a possibility to have a handheld pole in addition to placed on the ground.

        Thanks.

        Loreta

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taoofdavid65" <taoofdavid@...> wrote:

        > Cheap?
        >
        > Home Depot. Broom pole.
        >
        > Not long enough?
        >
        > 2 broom poles and Duct Tape.
        >
        > 1 person?
        >
        > Mic stand.
        >
        > David
        > http://www.youtube.com/davidhowellca
        >
        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Loreta_Vaidas" <loretabirkus@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > Can anybody please recommend a good quality (not too pricey please) boom pole for a one person team? I have an Audio-Technica AT875R shot gun mic which I'll be using for my videofilmings and would like a boom pole to go with it. Holding a pole myself is not an option.
        > >
        > > Please give me some guidance what features to look for in a pole, where and what best to purchase, etc.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance.
        > >
        > > Loreta

      • taoofdavid65
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
          You know...you could try a golf ball retriever. It'll extend quite a ways and is still a lot less then $300.

          Personally, my opinion only, if you need to be further away than what a ball retriever will allow, you might want to look in to radio transmitter mics.

          Just a thought.

          David
          http://www.youtube.com/davidhowellca

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Loreta_Vaidas" <loretabirkus@...> wrote:

          > yeah..I already tried that place, thanks David :)) is all going ok for you today? :)
          >
          > I said not too pricey, I do get that they're fairly expensive, but I'm looking for smth in the $300 range.
          >
          > I read somewhere that there are poles where you can buy separate parts for holding it -not the mic stands. So that there's still a possibility to have a handheld pole in addition to placed on the ground.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Loreta
          >
          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "taoofdavid65" <taoofdavid@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Cheap?
          > >
          > > Home Depot. Broom pole.
          > >
          > > Not long enough?
          > >
          > > 2 broom poles and Duct Tape.
          > >
          > > 1 person?
          > >
          > > Mic stand.
          > >
          > > David
          > > http://www.youtube.com/davidhowellca
          > >
          > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Loreta_Vaidas" <loretabirkus@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi,
          > > >
          > > > Can anybody please recommend a good quality (not too pricey please) boom pole for a one person team? I have an Audio-Technica AT875R shot gun mic which I'll be using for my videofilmings and would like a boom pole to go with it. Holding a pole myself is not an option.
          > > >
          > > > Please give me some guidance what features to look for in a pole, where and what best to purchase, etc.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks in advance.
          > > >
          > > > Loreta

        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12, 2010
            From: "Loreta_Vaidas"
            > Can anybody please recommend a good quality (not too pricey please) boom
            > pole for a one person team?

            I don't understand what a "one person team" is. A "team", by definition
            seems to be a minimum of two.

            > I have an Audio-Technica AT875R shot gun mic which I'll be using for my
            > videofilmings and would like a boom pole to go with it. Holding a pole
            > myself is not an option.

            A "boom pole holder" may work.
            http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=boom+pole+holder&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
            but only for a subject that is not moving about.

            > Please give me some guidance what features to look for in a pole, where
            > and what best to purchase, etc.

            Some poles have the mic cable built-in, and of course the length varies.

            You can always go with the Home Depot / Lowes extendable paint pole. But you
            will need to purchase an attachment to convert the end to hold the mic.
            http://cgi.ebay.com/Make-mic-boom-pole-w-adapter-4-rode-other-microphones_W0QQitemZ220557427871QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335a3f449f
            and, of course, this also requires you to run the mic cable the length of
            the pole.

            If you are shooting outdoors you will definitely need a windscreen. The foam
            type may work well enough, or it may not. Better is the "furry" or "dead
            cat" type of windscreen. Even better is a "blimp" type with a furry cover.

            If you have a person to hold the mic/boom pole be sure that they have
            headphones and can actually *hear* the audio from the mic. Otherwise they
            won't know if they are holding the mic / pole properly. This may be a long
            cable running out of the camcorder to the person, or .. you can do "double
            system sound" and record to a high quality digital recorder. In that case
            the recorder can be carried by the boom pole operator and and there is less
            chance of someone tripping on a long cable from the camera. You will need to
            sync-up the sound in editing, but it's not as hard as you might think.

            Richard Amirault
            N1JDU
            http://bostonfandom.org
          • Loreta_Vaidas
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 12, 2010
              David,Richard,

              Thanks for all the advice.

              Yes, it's only me doing all the filming and sound. And yes, I do have a wireless mic system (German brand). It's omnidirectional so I don't think it's suitable for filming outside. That's why I need a boom pole to somehow solve the outside filming situations.

              Is the wind screen (fluffy one) needed any time during filming outside or more when it's really windy? My mic has a black standard one that came with it so wonder if it's not going to be enough. It's usually not windy where I live :)

              Thanks again.

              Loreta

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Amirault" <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]
            • RANDY MANN
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 13, 2010
                you kinda need it every time, it does cut a lot of noise