flavors.me elegant aggregation

  • elbowsofdeath
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 26, 2010
      Greetings,

      You know Im not a giant fan of this era of hosted services in some ways, but seeing as thats the present reality I was looking at sites which aggregate stuff from the likes of twitter, vimeo, facebook, flickr into one nice site that can be used as an equivalent to a blog/your public face on the web.

      I get the idea that there are plenty of options, but Ive never really been overwhelmed by their look or functionality, things usually seem a bit clunky or ugly.

      Today I heard about http://flavors.me/ and whilst I havent actually tried it myself yet I did watch the demo video and I was impressed enough to mention it here. Mostly because it manages to present stuff in a way which is nice and to my mind at least has something in common with what showinabox was trying to achieve back in the day.

      This sort of thing might suit the likes of the iPad & similar devices quite well too. Tidy.

      Cheers

      Steve Elbows
    • elbowsofdeath
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 26, 2010
        OK I tried signing up and it looks like theyve switched from supporting Vimeo to Youtube. This is one of the things I dislike about this sort of service - I need them to support lots of different video hosts, and if they decide to switch at some point then its beyond my control. It does look like they support RSS but I havent checked the details and am well out of date on what kind of feeds video hosts make available.

        Are there any opensource webapps with these sorts of features? They dont need to be pretty to start with, can always redo the front end, but needs to play nice with a variety of services. The means to aggregate stuff nicely from a vairety of services has not turned out quite as straightforward from a technical perspective as may once have been hoped here.

        Cheers

        Steve Elbows

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "elbowsofdeath" <steve@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > You know Im not a giant fan of this era of hosted services in some ways, but seeing as thats the present reality I was looking at sites which aggregate stuff from the likes of twitter, vimeo, facebook, flickr into one nice site that can be used as an equivalent to a blog/your public face on the web.
        >
        > I get the idea that there are plenty of options, but Ive never really been overwhelmed by their look or functionality, things usually seem a bit clunky or ugly.
        >
        > Today I heard about http://flavors.me/ and whilst I havent actually tried it myself yet I did watch the demo video and I was impressed enough to mention it here. Mostly because it manages to present stuff in a way which is nice and to my mind at least has something in common with what showinabox was trying to achieve back in the day.
        >
        > This sort of thing might suit the likes of the iPad & similar devices quite well too. Tidy.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Steve Elbows

      • schlomo rabinowitz
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 26, 2010
          I agree; I do like the service, but its just not quite there yet. But that
          doesnt mean it can't!

          Mine is here:
          http://flavors.me/schlomo

          One major thing missing is how my videoblog embeds dont really work on the
          service.

          Schlomo Rabinowitz
          http://schlomo.tv
          http://hatfactory.net
          AIM:schlomochat

          On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM, elbowsofdeath <steve@...> wrote:

          > OK I tried signing up and it looks like theyve switched from supporting
          > Vimeo to Youtube. This is one of the things I dislike about this sort of
          > service - I need them to support lots of different video hosts, and if they
          > decide to switch at some point then its beyond my control. It does look like
          > they support RSS but I havent checked the details and am well out of date on
          > what kind of feeds video hosts make available.
          >
          > Are there any opensource webapps with these sorts of features? They dont
          > need to be pretty to start with, can always redo the front end, but needs to
          > play nice with a variety of services. The means to aggregate stuff nicely
          > from a vairety of services has not turned out quite as straightforward from
          > a technical perspective as may once have been hoped here.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Steve Elbows

          > "elbowsofdeath" <steve@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > You know Im not a giant fan of this era of hosted services in some ways,
          > but seeing as thats the present reality I was looking at sites which
          > aggregate stuff from the likes of twitter, vimeo, facebook, flickr into one
          > nice site that can be used as an equivalent to a blog/your public face on
          > the web.
          > >
          > > I get the idea that there are plenty of options, but Ive never really
          > been overwhelmed by their look or functionality, things usually seem a bit
          > clunky or ugly.
          > >
          > > Today I heard about http://flavors.me/ and whilst I havent actually
          > tried it myself yet I did watch the demo video and I was impressed enough to
          > mention it here. Mostly because it manages to present stuff in a way which
          > is nice and to my mind at least has something in common with what showinabox
          > was trying to achieve back in the day.
          > >
          > > This sort of thing might suit the likes of the iPad & similar devices
          > quite well too. Tidy.
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Steve Elbows

        • Adam Quirk
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 27, 2010
            Web services in general are shit. Serve your web page from a spare 386 in
            the closet. Send your video over bittorrent. Embed your videos into your
            underwear!!!!!!

            Who's with me?

          • schlomo rabinowitz
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 27, 2010
              I've already patented Underwear Embeds and we will be rolling out the alpha
              models in Victoria's Secret stores near you in the Fall!!

              You will love them!!!

              Schlomo Rabinowitz
              http://schlomo.tv
              http://hatfactory.net
              AIM:schlomochat

              On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Adam Quirk <quirk@...>wrote:

> [...]
              > 40yahoogroups.com>,

              > > ways,
              > > > but seeing as thats the present reality I was looking at sites which
              > > > aggregate stuff from the likes of twitter, vimeo, facebook, flickr into
              > > one
              > > > nice site that can be used as an equivalent to a blog/your public face
              > on
              > > > the web.

              > > > been overwhelmed by their look or functionality, things usually seem a
              > > bit
              > > > clunky or ugly.

              > > > tried it myself yet I did watch the demo video and I was impressed
              > enough
              > > > mention it here. Mostly because it manages to present stuff in a way
              > > which
              > > > is nice and to my mind at least has something in common with what

            • Michael Sullivan
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 27, 2010
                You might be more fit for using WordPress.com with their pro services (i.e.
                videopress). Instead of aggregating in, try using WP as single content
                source to publish from.

                On Feb 26, 2010 3:17 PM, "elbowsofdeath" <steve@...> wrote:

                OK I tried signing up and it looks like theyve switched from supporting
                Vimeo to Youtube. This is one of the things I dislike about this sort of
                service - I need them to support lots of different video hosts, and if they
                decide to switch at some point then its beyond my control. It does look like
                they support RSS but I havent checked the details and am well out of date on
                what kind of feeds video hosts make available.

                Are there any opensource webapps with these sorts of features? They dont
                need to be pretty to start with, can always redo the front end, but needs to
                play nice with a variety of services. The means to aggregate stuff nicely
                from a vairety of services has not turned out quite as straightforward from
                a technical perspective as may once have been hoped here.

                Cheers

                Steve Elbows

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "elbowsofdeath" <steve@...> wrote:

                > Greetings,
                >
                > You k...

              • schlomo rabinowitz
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 27, 2010
                  This has nothing to do with Embedable Underwear.

                  Stay on topic!!!:)

                  Schlomo Rabinowitz
                  http://schlomo.tv
                  http://hatfactory.net
                  AIM:schlomochat

                  On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...>wrote:

                  > You might be more fit for using WordPress.com with their pro services (i.e.
                  > videopress). Instead of aggregating in, try using WP as single content
                  > source to publish from.
                  >

                  > On Feb 26, 2010 3:17 PM, "elbowsofdeath" <steve@...<steve%40dvmachine.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > OK I tried signing up and it looks like theyve switched from supporting
                  > Vimeo to Youtube. This is one of the things I dislike about this sort of
                  > service - I need them to support lots of different video hosts, and if they
                  > decide to switch at some point then its beyond my control. It does look
                  > like
                  > they support RSS but I havent checked the details and am well out of date
                  > on
                  > what kind of feeds video hosts make available.
                  >
                  > Are there any opensource webapps with these sorts of features? They dont
                  > need to be pretty to start with, can always redo the front end, but needs
                  > play nice with a variety of services. The means to aggregate stuff nicely
                  > from a vairety of services has not turned out quite as straightforward from
                  > a technical perspective as may once have been hoped here.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Steve Elbows

                  > "elbowsofdeath" <steve@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Greetings,
                  > >
                  > > You k...

                • Roxanne Darling
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2010
                    For Schlomo, on topic:
                    How does a person embed video with your service who does not wear underwear?

                    Otherwise, this is cool; fun, and I like the home page it makes for me:
                    http://flavors.me/rox

                    Super clean. Thanks for sharing it!

                    Aloha,

                    Roxanne

                    On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 8:23 AM, schlomo rabinowitz <schlomo@...> wrote:
                    > This has nothing to do with Embedable Underwear.
                    >
                    > Stay on topic!!!:)
                    >

                    > Schlomo Rabinowitz
                    > http://schlomo.tv
                    > http://hatfactory.net
                    > AIM:schlomochat
                    >

                    > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...>wrote:
                    >

                    >> You might be more fit for using WordPress.com with their pro services (i.e.
                    >> videopress). Instead of aggregating in, try using WP as single content
                    >> source to publish from.
                    >>

                    >> On Feb 26, 2010 3:17 PM, "elbowsofdeath" <steve@...<steve%40dvmachine.com>>
                    >> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> OK I tried signing up and it looks like theyve switched from supporting
                    >> Vimeo to Youtube. This is one of the things I dislike about this sort of
                    >> service - I need them to support lots of different video hosts, and if they
                    >> decide to switch at some point then its beyond my control. It does look
                    >> like
                    >> they support RSS but I havent checked the details and am well out of date
                    >> on
                    >> what kind of feeds video hosts make available.
                    >>
                    >> Are there any opensource webapps with these sorts of features? They dont
                    >> need to be pretty to start with, can always redo the front end, but needs
                    >> play nice with a variety of services. The means to aggregate stuff nicely
                    >> from a vairety of services has not turned out quite as straightforward from
                    >> a technical perspective as may once have been hoped here.
                    >>
                    >> Cheers
                    >>
                    >> Steve Elbows
                    >>
                    >> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    >> "elbowsofdeath" <steve@...> wrote:
                    >> >
                    >> > Greetings,
                    >> >
                    >> > You k...

                    Roxanne Darling
                    808-384-5554
                    Video --> http://www.beachwalks.tv
                    Company -- > http://www.barefeetstudios.com
                    Twitter--> http://www.twitter.com/roxannedarling
                  • Ron Watson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3, 2010
                      I've been embedded in my windstopper longjohns for months... come on
                      springtime!!!

                      Looks like you got me on the bandwagon again, Rox, Mahalos... miss
                      the islands.
                      My Flavors:
                      http://flavors.me/k9disc

                      Aloha,