Re: [videoblogging] Re: Remember when it was all 320x240?

  • Michael Sullivan
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 15, 2010

      > �I was spending 40 hours a week on YouTube for over a year before I made a
      > dime,� Mr. Buckley said

      �We wanted to turn these hobbies into businesses,� said Hunter Walk, a
      > director of product management for the site, who called popular users like
      > Mr. Buckley �unintentional media companies.�

      So spending full-time hours on your hobby equates to �unintentional media
      companies�?
      If I spent that much time working on a show, i dont think i would consider
      my efforts as unintentional in regards to being/becoming a so-called "media
      company".
      A company is just some paperwork.

      On the other hand, the average person consumes more than 40 hours of TV and
      other media per week.
      So to take that time to produce instead of only consume.... that's a good
      start.

      The perfect storm is when their is an audience lined up with your passions
      that is large enough to give you a useful income without burning yourself
      out.

      Sull

      On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:47 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

      > > It's a full time living for quite a few people:
      > > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/business/media/11youtube.html
      > > I'm not quite there yet, but there's always hope!
      >
      > Yep, this is the article that everyone points to:
      >
      > YouTube declined to comment on how much money partners earned on average,
      > > partly because advertiser demand varies for different kinds of videos.
      > But a
      > > spokesman, Aaron Zamost, said �hundreds of YouTube partners are making
      > > thousands of dollars a month.� At least a few are making a full-time
      > living:
      > > Mr. Buckley said he was earning over $100,000 from YouTube
      > advertisements.

      > http://ryanishungry.com
      > http://momentshowing.net
      > http://twitter.com/jaydedman