Re: [videoblogging] Microphone options...a perennial question

  • David Jones
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2010
      On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 1:50 PM, ratbagradio <ratbagradio@...> wrote:

      > I shoot with a Canon MD 120 mini-dv video camera which suits my needs admirably.
      >
      > But I want to improve my audio input. In some instances I use a rig I've developed from a Minidisc recorder and its own plug in power microphones(of which I have several). I run the MD audio into the camera in real time. But this rig can be cumbersome at close quarters when switching from on to off mode as I have to monitor two devices -- camera and recorder.
      >
      > So I have two options I think but I'm not sure how they play out.
      >
      > 1) Get some sort of small pre-amp so I can still use my plug in power mics.
      > 2) Get a new microphone with its own power and plug it into the Mic in jack.
      >
      > All I want is to improve my audio and my audio control so that my microphone options are customizable. I don 't have a mic shoe but I'm willing to tape it anywhere I want.
      >
      > So I wonder if anyone has had any experience of pre-amping mics for small video operation? All I'm after is a unit that maybe houses one AA battery with input and output feed -- a sort of bulge en route between the microphone and the camera.
      >
      > I also live at the cheap end of the market -- my second Canon MD 120 camera cost me no more than $AUSD15. So poverty is a deciding factor in my purchasing power.
      >
      > dave riley.

      I'd recommend you just go for a regular shotgun video mic that plugs
      straight in. The Rode VideoMic is the best quality in the low cost end
      of the spectrum, but a cheap $40 Jaycar shotgun mic works just as good
      really.
      http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AM4085
      I wouldn't dick a round with preamps, it's just messier.

      You can get dual tripod mount frames that would allow you to
      effectively mount the mic onto the same frame as the camera.

      Dave.