video chat

  • Tom Dolan
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
      Hello V-group,

      Anyone have experience with video chat? How about Skype with a Mac?
      I've held off with Skype because some say there are issues w/Mac's.
      Any advice on this topic would be welcome.

      Thanx,

      Tom Dolan
      tomjdolan@...
    • David King
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
        I've done skype and aol videochat on a mac - no issues... Seemed to be
        a pretty simple process.

        David

        On Feb 3, 2010, at 5:17 PM, Tom Dolan <tomjdolan@...> wrote:

        > Hello V-group,
        >
        > Anyone have experience with video chat? How about Skype with a Mac?
        > I've held off with Skype because some say there are issues w/Mac's.
        > Any advice on this topic would be welcome.
        >
        > Thanx,
        >
        > Tom Dolan
        > tomjdolan@...

      • Julian Seery Gude
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
          Tom,

          I've used video on my Mac with skype for a long time - no issue provided you have decent bandwidth. When I talk with my wife who travels a lot sometimes her hotel connection (lower bandwidth) can cause issues but typical company and home Internet setups are great.

          Get a good usb mic or headset with DSP that improves audio and your caller will remark on how present you sound. The built in webcams on macs work great but you can also hook some camcorders up as web cams (either Firewire units) or USB camcorders with free software drivers like Macam.

          /julian

          On Feb 3, 2010, at 6:17 PM, Tom Dolan wrote:

          > Hello V-group,
          >
          > Anyone have experience with video chat? How about Skype with a Mac?
          > I've held off with Skype because some say there are issues w/Mac's.
          > Any advice on this topic would be welcome.
          >
          > Thanx,
          >
          > Tom Dolan
          > tomjdolan@...

          ---
          Julian Seery Gude
          julian@...
          {561} 584-9088 or {skype} exceler8
          LOCALNa8ion.com and exceler8.com
          On the web: http://www.google.com/profiles/JulianSeeryGude

        • Adrian Miles
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
            hiave used Skype on mac to video chat within Australia and Australia
            to Britain and Australia to Israel with no problems.

            On 04/02/2010, at 10:17 AM, Tom Dolan wrote:

            > Anyone have experience with video chat? How about Skype with a Mac?
            > I've held off with Skype because some say there are issues w/Mac's.
            > Any advice on this topic would be welcome.

            cheers
            Adrian Miles
            adrian.miles@...
            Program Director, Bachelor of Communication Honours
            vogmae.net.au/research/contact-me/
          • Bill Vick
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
              Tom - so far I've done over 200 Skype videos with people around the world using Skype video. I'm on a Mac and find the best videos are with another Mac user of a PC with a Logitech 9000 cameras. Both sides need a good broadband connection and it’s a good idea to close all applications with the exception of Skype. I'm using the ecamm Call Recorder to record the video/audio and do my editing in Final Cut Pro. I'd highly recommend putting your toe in the water and testing things. My Skype handle is BigBiller and I'll be more than happy to help you test things.

              Bill
              http://BoomersNextStep.com <- one of my sites with videos in place.