looking for examples of good direct to camera "video diary" type vlogs

  • Christopher
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi all,
      I got question. Just started a new WGBH Lab open call inspired by The Diary of Anne Frank. For this call for entries, we are asking for video diary entries, hence the connection to Anne Fank

      It's targeted to youth media makers 13 and up so I started a section called "video to inspire"...basically it's section for me share example videos of what we might be looking for but also so show methods that kids might be able to express themselves via video.

      can you all suggest some good examples out the video blogging community that I could link to or embed?

      Let me know.

      Chris
      The WGBH Lab
      e-mail: chris_hastings@...
    • Rupert Howe
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2010
        I would recommend some of my own stuff:
        http://twittervlog.tv/popular-videos/
        but i fear the language may be a little rich for 13 year olds.

        Ze Frank's The Show is a good place to start. Very creative to-camera
        videoblogging - it ran from 2006-7.

        He defined the style that you can see a lot of on YouTube now - with
        fake video diaries like Fred
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Fred

        and videobloggers you see popping up in the Most Viewed section on
        YouTube:
        http://www.youtube.com/videos

        From this list, Mike Moon does a great regular video diary at the
        moment:
        http://vlog.mikemoon.net

        People like Ryanne Hodson and Michael Verdi did awesome video diary
        work from 2004-6.
        http://ryanedit.blogspot.com
        http://michaelverdi.com

        I'll let others jump in with specific examples of videos because I
        suddenly have to run to take my daughter to school!

        Rupert
        http://twittervlog.tv

        On 2 Feb 2010, at 01:54, Christopher wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I got question. Just started a new WGBH Lab open call inspired by
        > The Diary of Anne Frank. For this call for entries, we are asking
        > for video diary entries, hence the connection to Anne Fank
        >
        > It's targeted to youth media makers 13 and up so I started a section
        > called "video to inspire"...basically it's section for me share
        > example videos of what we might be looking for but also so show
        > methods that kids might be able to express themselves via video.
        >
        > can you all suggest some good examples out the video blogging
        > community that I could link to or embed?
        >
        > Let me know.
        >
        > Chris
        > The WGBH Lab
        > e-mail: chris_hastings@...

      • Rupert Howe
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2010
          Now I'm back, I'll briefly add... most video diaries are not the
          classic to-camera video diaries that you see characters on TV shows &
          films doing - those that are to-camera tend to be somewhere between
          being editorial opinions and stand up comedy. Personal video diaries
          online have tended to be more like classic home movies - people
          pointing the camera away from them, videoing the people and things
          around them, and then cutting them into simple sequences. Like Jay's
          video of his mother's last days, posted in November:
          http://momentshowing.net/2009/11/video-sure/

          One of my favourite types of video diary has been the videoblog
          travelogue as mastered by Ryanne & Jay - just filming moments without
          commentary or music and stitching them together - the natural sounds
          forming a rhythm:
          http://tinyurl.com/ryanne

          I have taught videoblogging to teenagers, and most of them were quite
          bored by videoblogs and video diaries - even those that I thought were
          amazing or funny. I figured that this was because most video diaries
          and blogs are by adults, about adult lives. This is one of the
          reasons Anne Frank is so accessible to young people - she's young.
          And one of the reasons why the nightmarish fake video diary of Fred,
          which I linked to before, has been so phenomenally popular - he's a
          kid. Ditto the other fictional phenomenon, LonelyGirl15...

          Rupert
          http://twittervlog.tv

          On 2 Feb 2010, at 08:48, Rupert Howe wrote:

          > I would recommend some of my own stuff:
          > http://twittervlog.tv/popular-videos/
          > but i fear the language may be a little rich for 13 year olds.
          >
          > Ze Frank's The Show is a good place to start. Very creative to-camera
          > videoblogging - it ran from 2006-7.
          >
          > He defined the style that you can see a lot of on YouTube now - with
          > fake video diaries like Fred
          > http://www.youtube.com/user/Fred
          >
          > and videobloggers you see popping up in the Most Viewed section on
          > YouTube:
          > http://www.youtube.com/videos
          >
          > From this list, Mike Moon does a great regular video diary at the
          > moment:
          > http://vlog.mikemoon.net
          >
          > People like Ryanne Hodson and Michael Verdi did awesome video diary
          > work from 2004-6.
          > http://ryanedit.blogspot.com
          > http://michaelverdi.com
          >
          > I'll let others jump in with specific examples of videos because I
          > suddenly have to run to take my daughter to school!
          >
          > Rupert
          > http://twittervlog.tv
          >

          > On 2 Feb 2010, at 01:54, Christopher wrote:
          >
          >> Hi all,
          >> I got question. Just started a new WGBH Lab open call inspired by
          >> The Diary of Anne Frank. For this call for entries, we are asking
          >> for video diary entries, hence the connection to Anne Fank
          >>
          >> It's targeted to youth media makers 13 and up so I started a section
          >> called "video to inspire"...basically it's section for me share
          >> example videos of what we might be looking for but also so show
          >> methods that kids might be able to express themselves via video.
          >>
          >> can you all suggest some good examples out the video blogging
          >> community that I could link to or embed?
          >>
          >> Let me know.
          >>
          >> Chris
          >> The WGBH Lab
          >> e-mail: chris_hastings@...

        • Christopher
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2010
            Thank you.. this are great.

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

            > I would recommend some of my own stuff:
            > http://twittervlog.tv/popular-videos/
            > but i fear the language may be a little rich for 13 year olds.
            >
            > Ze Frank's The Show is a good place to start. Very creative to-camera
            > videoblogging - it ran from 2006-7.
            >
            > He defined the style that you can see a lot of on YouTube now - with
            > fake video diaries like Fred
            > http://www.youtube.com/user/Fred
            >
            > and videobloggers you see popping up in the Most Viewed section on
            > YouTube:
            > http://www.youtube.com/videos
            >
            > From this list, Mike Moon does a great regular video diary at the
            > moment:
            > http://vlog.mikemoon.net
            >
            > People like Ryanne Hodson and Michael Verdi did awesome video diary
            > work from 2004-6.
            > http://ryanedit.blogspot.com
            > http://michaelverdi.com
            >
            > I'll let others jump in with specific examples of videos because I
            > suddenly have to run to take my daughter to school!
            >
            > Rupert
            > http://twittervlog.tv
            >

            > On 2 Feb 2010, at 01:54, Christopher wrote:
            >
            > > Hi all,
            > > I got question. Just started a new WGBH Lab open call inspired by
            > > The Diary of Anne Frank. For this call for entries, we are asking
            > > for video diary entries, hence the connection to Anne Fank
            > >
            > > It's targeted to youth media makers 13 and up so I started a section
            > > called "video to inspire"...basically it's section for me share
            > > example videos of what we might be looking for but also so show
            > > methods that kids might be able to express themselves via video.
            > >
            > > can you all suggest some good examples out the video blogging
            > > community that I could link to or embed?
            > >
            > > Let me know.
            > >
            > > Chris
            > > The WGBH Lab
            > > e-mail: chris_hastings@...

          • Christopher
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2010
              got it. I'm hoping that they won't do just the direct to camera stuff.. i could see this being an opportunity for kids to recite poetry/slams, present animations or still photography they have done. My hope is that I can find posting/vlogs, vid diaries that will inspire them to think different about the presentation.

              Ryanne and Jay our my dogs so yeah, I'll grab some of their stuff to show as an example. Do you remember the vlogger who did Pouring Down TV? Is he still around? His blog was always out the box inspirational stuff. Love his work. I think it was pourindown.tv.
              Let m know if you think of anymore

              best,
              Chris Hastings
              chris_hastings@...