A nice html5 video player with fullscreen

  • elbowsofdeath
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hello,

      This player looks very promising:

      http://jilion.com/sublime/video

      It doesnt work in firefox yet, and the fullscreen mode only works in very recent webkit nightly build, but the potential is there, the animations are nice, and performance seems good.

      As for the ogg theora issue, having spoken to a few people elsewhere on the web I still feel it is far more likely that firefox will be forced to try and get h.264 working by relying on the operating systems ability to play h264, than stay with ogg only and run the risk of losing browser market share. There is a lot of heat on the net about these issues but it isnt translating into anything that makes ogg more viable, at least not at this stage.

      Cheers

      Steve Elbows
    • Kevin Lim
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
        I just tried it via @Gruber... it brought tears to my eyes. Finally,
        web videos that don't feel bootstrapped to the page... it flows so
        naturally. I hope this is the future we agree on.

        Here's what Gruber had to say about it:
        http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/02/01/sublimevideo

        -----
        SublimeVideo — HTML5 Video Player

        This is so fucking great: an HTML5 video player by Jilian with
        beautiful playback controls, click-to-play control over automatic
        buffering, full-window playback with gorgeous animated transitions,
        and more. Works great in Safari and Chrome; Firefox support is in the
        works. Oh, and if you’re using a WebKit Nightly build: full-screen
        playback. Seriously, this is the real deal — full-screen H.264
        playback with no Flash, no browser plugins, and sane CPU usage.

        When I wrote this piece on HTML5 and auto-buffering last month, I was
        focused only on the built-in browser controls. SublimeVideo shows that
        I was wrong — the existing browser support is probably good enough, it
        just needs to be supplemented with JavaScript to exert necessary
        control over buffering and more attractive playback controls.
        -----

        Kevin Lim
        Cyberculturalist
        http://theory.isthereason.com
        This email is:   [ ] bloggable    [X] ask first   [ ] private
        email locator: ╔╗╔═╦╗ ║╚╣║║╚╗ ╚═╩═╩═╝

        On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 11:29 AM, elbowsofdeath <steve@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > This player looks very promising:
        >
        > http://jilion.com/sublime/video
        >
        > It doesnt work in firefox yet, and the fullscreen mode only works in very recent webkit nightly build, but the potential is there, the animations are nice, and performance seems good.
        >
        > As for the ogg theora issue, having spoken to a few people elsewhere on the web I still feel it is far more likely that firefox will be forced to try and get h.264 working by relying on the operating systems ability to play h264, than stay with ogg only and run the risk of losing browser market share. There is a lot of heat on the net about these issues but it isnt translating into anything that makes ogg more viable, at least not at this stage.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Steve Elbows

      • Joly MacFie
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
          I was seeing a litle jittery spot in the area where the control panel
          shows up. Anyone else?

          Apart from that - looks good. I'm sure JW isn't sitting on his hands!

          > Here's what Gruber had to say about it:
          > http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/02/01/sublimevideo
          >
          > -----

          Joly MacFie 917 442 8665 Skype:punkcast
          WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
        • adammercado@att.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2010
            When do you think WordPress will have a HTML5 video player? What would need to be done for that to happen?

            cheers
            adam

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11, 2010
              There is already at least one:

              http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/degradable-html5-audio-and-video/

              I doubt it is perfect yet but this stuff isnt too hard to achieve so I expect we'll get a variety of solutions in the years to come.

              Cheers

              Steve Elbows