RE: [videoblogging] Zoom H4N Audio Recorder

  • Roger Conant
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 28, 2010
      Hi: The Zoom H4N is a great tool. it records good sound with an nice on board adjustable mic. But, as you mentioned, it also takes XLR inputs at mic or line level. It also does lots of other cool things --making it a kind of audio Swiss army knife. For instance, it acts as a USB interface between your computer and any audio equipment you plug into it-- making it really handy. It can also serve as an SD card reader if you need it. The menu features are a little slow to fire up, but other than that , its a cool tool. Roger.

      To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
      From: rupert@...
      Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 00:55:24 +0000
      Subject: [videoblogging] Zoom H4N Audio Recorder

      Further to our discussions about sound, I saw a Zoom H4N audio

      recorder in action on a Canon 5D Mk2 shoot a couple of weeks ago, and

      I'm going to get one for myself.

      It's a portable audio recorder with XLR inputs and on board mics.

      There's a video about using it with DSLRs here (including mounting it

      on your camera), which is part infomercial for Zoom, part infomercial

      for Zacuto, but still has a lot of interesting stuff in it.

      http://vimeo.com/4782593

      Rupert

      http://twittervlog.tv

    • Brook Hinton
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2010
        The H4n has XLR inputs but unfortunately the mic preamps are really noisy. I
        almost got one, since I have AT4073's which are really fantastic shotgun
        mics, but the noise was a deal killer.

        The Olympus LS10 can be found pretty cheap these days and while it doesn't
        have XLR inputs it beats out the H4N in terms of specs and has VERY quiet
        preamps (though it works better with externals as the built-ins have a
        non-defeatable low-cut filter, which I would always engage in the field
        anyway so its not a big deal, esp. if you EQ).

        The new Sony PCM-M10 is supposed to be fantastic and in field tests beats
        out much higher end units. Its built-in mics have been described as among
        the best available for recorders of this type.

        I'd go for either of those over the Zoom unless XLR was absolutely
        essential. I ended up with an LS10 over the Sony but only because a good
        used unit saved me $100 over the new price.

        Brook

        On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Roger Conant <deadeast@...> wrote:

        > Hi: The Zoom H4N is a great tool. it records good sound with an nice on
        > board adjustable mic. But, as you mentioned, it also takes XLR inputs at mic
        > or line level. It also does lots of other cool things --making it a kind of
        > audio Swiss army knife. For instance, it acts as a USB interface between
        > your computer and any audio equipment you plug into it-- making it really
        > handy. It can also serve as an SD card reader if you need it. The menu
        > features are a little slow to fire up, but other than that , its a cool
        > tool. Roger.
        >
        > To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>
        > From: rupert@... <rupert%40twittervlog.tv>
        > Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 00:55:24 +0000
        > Subject: [videoblogging] Zoom H4N Audio Recorder
        >

        > Further to our discussions about sound, I saw a Zoom H4N audio
        >
        > recorder in action on a Canon 5D Mk2 shoot a couple of weeks ago, and
        >
        > I'm going to get one for myself.
        >
        > It's a portable audio recorder with XLR inputs and on board mics.
        >
        > There's a video about using it with DSLRs here (including mounting it
        >
        > on your camera), which is part infomercial for Zoom, part infomercial
        >
        > for Zacuto, but still has a lot of interesting stuff in it.
        >
        > http://vimeo.com/4782593
        >
        > Rupert
        >
        > http://twittervlog.tv

      • Joly MacFie
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2010

          > The H4n has XLR inputs but unfortunately the mic preamps are really noisy.

          almost got one, since I have AT4073's which are really fantastic shotgun

          mics, but the noise was a deal killer.

          I shoot loud bands and my problem is that the level just overloads the
          pre-amps in my Zoom H2's - so preamp noise is not a problem. Does the H4N
          have better 'loud' capability one wonders?

          > Yes, double system is great, but I would at least look into an editing
          sync program such as Singular Software's PluralEyes.
          http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html

          Very interesting - I've got a project with 4 sources of noisy audio I'm on
          right now - I'm going to give it a spin!

        • Brook Hinton
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2010
            Joly, if you are using external mics a couple of inline mic pads will solve
            the distortion problem. With the internals, not sure what you could do.

            > I shoot loud bands and my problem is that the level just overloads the
            > pre-amps in my Zoom H2's - so preamp noise is not a problem. Does the H4N
            > have better 'loud' capability one wonders?

          • Rupert Howe
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 30, 2010
              Thanks, Brook - I haven't seen the noise mentioned by anybody else.
              What mics do you use with its mini-jack inputs? I'm presuming from
              what you say that you don't use your XLR mics via a beachbox?

            • Brook Hinton
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 31, 2010
                Right now either the built-ins, borrowed coresound mics (I don't know which
                exact model, their in the midrange binaural category) or the 4073's via a
                beachtek box and inline phantom power adapter.

                Probably going to get my own stealth externals - looking at stuff from
                microphonemadness.com.

                I notice the noise more partly because I do a lot of recording of very quiet
                sounds, and because I'm used to HHB and Tascam Dat units from not so way
                back when.

                Brook

                On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >> features are a little slow to fire up, but other than that , its a
                > >> cool
                > >> tool. Roger.
                > >>
                > >> To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com><videoblogging%
                > 40yahoogroups.com>
                > >> From: rupert@... <rupert%40twittervlog.tv> <rupert%
                > 40twittervlog.tv>
                >
                > >> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 00:55:24 +0000
                > >> Subject: [videoblogging] Zoom H4N Audio Recorder
                > >>

                > >> Further to our discussions about sound, I saw a Zoom H4N audio
                > >>
                > >> recorder in action on a Canon 5D Mk2 shoot a couple of weeks ago, and
                > >>
                > >> I'm going to get one for myself.
                > >>
                > >> It's a portable audio recorder with XLR inputs and on board mics.
                > >>
                > >> There's a video about using it with DSLRs here (including mounting it
                > >>
                > >> on your camera), which is part infomercial for Zoom, part infomercial
                > >>
                > >> for Zacuto, but still has a lot of interesting stuff in it.

              • danielson_audio
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 8, 2010
                  Hi Brook--

                  Recording "quiet" sounds raises the audio performance bar considerably doesn't it? Using carefully selected outboard gear is about only solution which is possible on a restricted budget. Pardon my unsolicited elaboration here:

                  Mic Self-Noise:
                  Its best if the mic's self-noise rating its 10 dB(A) or lower. The AT 4073's spec of 16dB(A) is respectable but if you're after ambience in natural settings, 16 dB(A) will produce a lot more hiss than 8 dB(A) A list of mics with under 17dB(A) self-noise can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/yd55yvh The built-in mics in the Sony M10 have 17 dB(A) self-noise which is much "quieter" than the built-in mics in the other hand-held recorders except for the D1 and D50, but still not ideal for "quiet sounds." The plethora of small electret mics out there like those at microphonemadness.com are noisy, like 22dB(A) and usually higher. There's one, expensive, difficult to acquire, exception. I compiled this comparison sheet a year ago (.doc download) http://tinyurl.com/ykdesaj but the bottom line is, this class of electret mics is generally too noisy for recording "quiet sounds" and this includes most mics manufacturers supply with audio and audio/optical recorders.

                  Recorder Input Noise:
                  Here's a chart that one can use, reliably, to rank the noise performances difference audio recorders will produce _when used with mics with low very self-noise_: http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm If Raimund's input noise the measurement is in the neighborhood of -124 dBu (A weighted) and lower (smaller negative numbers), the self-noise from better mics should mostly mask that of the recorder's mic preamp even at the highest gain. If you're after really quiet sound material like ambience in the quietest settings, you'll notice the improvements of using the lowest self-noise mics [5 -8dB(A)] and recorders with input noise measurements the neighborhood of -127 dBu (A weighted) or lower.

                  Noting the inverse of the role of mic self-noise is useful in planning purchases too. If the mics one uses most of the time have high self-noise, this noise will usually cover-up the noise produced by most camcorder and hand-held recorder pres. A telling way to test whether a mic you are considering is a good investment for your existing recorder is to borrow and include a very low self-noise mic in a listening test that compare these recording chains:

                  (1) A very low noise condenser mic like a Rode NT1-A -> Rolls PB224 or Art Phantom II ($50-$70 portable phantom power supplies**) -> 3.5mm mic input of camcorder/hand-held at max gain.

                  (2) The condenser/phantom powered mic in question -> Rolls PB224 or Art Phantom II -> 3.5mm mic input of camcorder/hand-held at max gain.

                  (3) Electret or other "cheap" mics -> 3.5mm mic input of camcorder/hand-held at max gain.

                  (4) Built-in Mics at full gain.

                  Record the same, low volume steady state sound like room ambience at full gain with all of the recording chains. Match the playback levels perceptually in a sound mixing app and play the samples back to back. You should be able to hear what's producing the noise in each of the recording chains and get a much better idea of what your noise performance needs are and how to plan purchases, etc. Make sure all units are running on battery power and record for periods long enough to get a minimum, steady background level for each gear combination. 10 minutes is usually long enough.

                  ** These units will not introduce any noise so all of the noise can be attributed to mic self-noise or mic pre input noise. As an aside, the Beachtek unit I tested when looking into using low noise condenser mics with camcorders and the like did seem to add noise to the record chain. There's more about using these inexpensive phantom powering units under Budget low noise recording here: https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-reports/HiMD/index.htm

                  Rob D.

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Brook Hinton <bhinton@...> wrote:

                  > Right now either the built-ins, borrowed coresound mics (I don't know which
                  > exact model, their in the midrange binaural category) or the 4073's via a
                  > beachtek box and inline phantom power adapter.
                  >
                  > Probably going to get my own stealth externals - looking at stuff from
                  > microphonemadness.com.
                  >
                  > I notice the noise more partly because I do a lot of recording of very quiet
                  > sounds, and because I'm used to HHB and Tascam Dat units from not so way
                  > back when.
                  >
                  > Brook
                  >

                  > On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Thanks, Brook - I haven't seen the noise mentioned by anybody else.
                  > > What mics do you use with its mini-jack inputs? I'm presuming from
                  > > what you say that you don't use your XLR mics via a beachbox?
                  > >

                  > > On 29 Jan 2010, at 21:42, Brook Hinton wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > The H4n has XLR inputs but unfortunately the mic preamps are really
                  > > > noisy. I
                  > > > almost got one, since I have AT4073's which are really fantastic
                  > > > shotgun
                  > > > mics, but the noise was a deal killer.
                  > > >
                  > > > The Olympus LS10 can be found pretty cheap these days and while it
                  > > > doesn't
                  > > > have XLR inputs it beats out the H4N in terms of specs and has VERY
                  > > > quiet
                  > > > preamps (though it works better with externals as the built-ins have a
                  > > > non-defeatable low-cut filter, which I would always engage in the
                  > > > field
                  > > > anyway so its not a big deal, esp. if you EQ).
                  > > >
                  > > > The new Sony PCM-M10 is supposed to be fantastic and in field tests
                  > > > beats
                  > > > out much higher end units. Its built-in mics have been described as
                  > > > among
                  > > > the best available for recorders of this type.
                  > > >
                  > > > I'd go for either of those over the Zoom unless XLR was absolutely
                  > > > essential. I ended up with an LS10 over the Sony but only because a
                  > > > good
                  > > > used unit saved me $100 over the new price.
                  > > >
                  > > > Brook

                  > > 40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > 40twittervlog.tv>

                • danielson_audio
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 8, 2010
                    Joly--
                    If you're using the default "100" gain setting and the "minimum" sensitivity setting and still getting distortion with line and mic inputs, there's probably nothing else you can try with the H2. There are reports of engineering shortcuts in the design of the mic and line input stages of the H2 that might be the cause of overloading even at the minimum sensitivity setting. (I'm sorry, but I can't lay my hands on the link to the best discussion of the issue I know of at the moment.)

                    As to whether the Zoom H4N uses a similar circuit design, that's a very good question. Maybe start with the Zoom User List and search terms like "loud," "overload," "distortion?" Rob D.

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

                    > I shoot loud bands and my problem is that the level just overloads the
                    > pre-amps in my Zoom H2's - so preamp noise is not a problem. Does the H4N
                    > have better 'loud' capability one wonders?

                    > Joly MacFie 917 442 8665 Skype:punkcast
                    > WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
                  • Brook Hinton
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 8, 2010
                      Excellent resources and info, Rob, thanks! Should go in the wiki if its
                      still around... Jay? (I can't find the link for some reason).

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 10, 2010
                        On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Brook Hinton <bhinton@...> wrote:
                        > Excellent resources and info, Rob, thanks! Should go in the wiki if its
                        > still around... Jay? (I can't find the link for some reason).

                        Here it is: http://videoblogginggroup.pbworks.com/
                        We started this wiki several years ago to remember useful links or
                        explanations. Please add/edit as necessary. Sometimes it's useful when
                        someone asks a question that was answered in detail in previous
                        messages.

                        http://ryanishungry.com
                        http://momentshowing.net
                        http://twitter.com/jaydedman