Non-XLR hand held Microphone

  • Cris Thomas
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 28, 2010
      I am looking for a traditional hand held microphone to use for man-on-the-street news interviews. Everything I can find is either an XLR mic or a toy.

      I have a Panasonic TM300 which is a nice small camera but has a traditional 1/4 microphone jack. I know there are XLR converters which would be fine but all the ones I have seen are super huge and bulky, which kind of defeats the purpose of the small camera.

      So can anyone suggest a decent microphone with the right connector or a small XLR converter? Thanks.

      - C. Thomas

    • Anthony Quintano
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 28, 2010
        Zoom h4n

        Sent from my iPhone
      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 28, 2010
          From: "Cris Thomas"

          > I am looking for a traditional hand held microphone to use for
          > man-on-the-street news interviews. Everything I can find is either an XLR
          > mic or a toy.
          >
          > I have a Panasonic TM300 which is a nice small camera but has a
          > traditional 1/4 microphone jack. I know there are XLR converters which
          > would be fine but all the ones I have seen are super huge and bulky, which
          > kind of defeats the purpose of the small camera.
          >
          > So can anyone suggest a decent microphone with the right connector or a
          > small XLR converter? Thanks.

          I *seriously* doubt your camcorder has a "1/4 mic jack" ... most likely
          it's a 1/8" jack. How about something like this for an adaptor..

          http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/158476-REG/Hosa_Technology_XVM_101F_Mini_Stereo_Male_to.html

          (search for Hosa XVM 101F at bhphotovideo.com if link is broken) You'd need
          to add a regular XLR mic cable to reach from your subject to the camera and
          you'd need to use a dynamic mic or a condensor mic with a built-in battery
          since you won't have phantom power with this setup.

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org
          http://bostonfandom.org

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 28, 2010
            > I am looking for a traditional hand held microphone to use for man-on-the-street news interviews. Everything I can find is either an XLR mic or a toy.
            > I have a Panasonic TM300 which is a nice small camera but has a traditional 1/4 microphone jack. I know there are XLR converters which would be fine but all the ones I have seen are super huge and bulky, which kind of defeats the purpose of the small camera.
            > So can anyone suggest a decent microphone with the right connector or a small XLR converter? Thanks.

            As Richard suggested, we used to use a 1/4"-XLR adapter since any
            serious mic seems to be XLR.
            But I have used http://www.audio-technica.com that had a 1/4" plug. Worked well.

            http://ryanishungry.com
            http://momentshowing.net
            http://twitter.com/jaydedman
            917 371 6790
          • Cris Thomas
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 29, 2010
              Your right, the camera has a 1/8 jack not a 1/4. I always get confused on the sizes.

              The bhp link for the XLR-1/8 adapter cable would work for the physical connection but don't I also need to supply power for the Mic?

              The H4n looks like a really cool device, but it is also bigger than my whole camera, doesn't really have the news reporter look and at $300 is a bit out of my budget. I'm just doing video blogs here, not remaking the Blair Witch Project.

              Someone linked to the AudioTechnica website but I'm not sure what they were exactly trying to link to.

              Ideally I would just like a handheld mic that plugs directly into my Panasonic TM300 that provides acceptable sound.

              - C. Thomas

            • calebjc
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 29, 2010
                I think the famous Sure 57 is still viable with converters no??

                I've used them in very noisy rooms for man on the street and they are amazing at filtering out people talking near by. They can be use as hammer it seems too, they are very heavy seem made to withstand the band on the road life.

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Cris Thomas <thomas_cris@...> wrote:

                > I am looking for a traditional hand held microphone to use for man-on-the-street news interviews. Everything I can find is either an XLR mic or a toy.
                >
                > I have a Panasonic TM300 which is a nice small camera but has a traditional 1/4 microphone jack. I know there are XLR converters which would be fine but all the ones I have seen are super huge and bulky, which kind of defeats the purpose of the small camera.
                >
                > So can anyone suggest a decent microphone with the right connector or a small XLR converter? Thanks.
                >
                > - C. Thomas

              • David Lee King
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 29, 2010
                  Power to the mic - depends on the mic. Yes if your mic is a condenser mic
                  and needs phantom power, no if it's a normal dynamic mic (like a Shure SM-57
                  or 58).

                  David Lee King
                  davidleeking.com - blog
                  davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
                  twitter | skype: davidleeking

                  On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Cris Thomas <thomas_cris@...> wrote:

                  > Your right, the camera has a 1/8 jack not a 1/4. I always get confused on
                  > the sizes.
                  >
                  > The bhp link for the XLR-1/8 adapter cable would work for the physical
                  > connection but don't I also need to supply power for the Mic?
                  >
                  > The H4n looks like a really cool device, but it is also bigger than my
                  > whole camera, doesn't really have the news reporter look and at $300 is a
                  > bit out of my budget. I'm just doing video blogs here, not remaking the
                  > Blair Witch Project.
                  >
                  > Someone linked to the AudioTechnica website but I'm not sure what they were
                  > exactly trying to link to.
                  >
                  > Ideally I would just like a handheld mic that plugs directly into my
                  > Panasonic TM300 that provides acceptable sound.
                  >
                  > - C. Thomas

                • Richard Amirault
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 29, 2010
                    From: "Cris Thomas"

                    > Your right, the camera has a 1/8 jack not a 1/4. I always get confused on
                    > the sizes.
                    >
                    > The bhp link for the XLR-1/8 adapter cable would work for the physical
                    > connection but don't I also need to supply power for the Mic?

                    As someone else mentioned you only need power for a condenser mic that does
                    not have an internal battery option.

                    > Ideally I would just like a handheld mic that plugs directly into my
                    > Panasonic TM300 that provides acceptable sound

                    There are many dynamic mics that will work. There is a "class" of dynamic
                    mic called "eng" (for Electronic News Gathering) that are especially well
                    suited for this type of application.

                    Some of these include:

                    Electro Voice RE-50
                    Shure VP-64 (this is the one I use)
                    Electro Voice 635a (note: the RE-50 is basically the 635 *inside* a special
                    housing to minimize handling noise)

                    I'm happy with my VP-64 but if I would buy another mic I would get the
                    RE-50.

                    Richard Amirault
                    Boston, MA, USA
                    http://n1jdu.org
                    http://bostonfandom.org
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 29, 2010
                      > Someone linked to the AudioTechnica website but I'm not sure what they were exactly trying to link to.

                      They have good quality, affordable mics that use the 1/4" jack. Do
                      some searching.

                      http://ryanishungry.com
                      http://momentshowing.net
                      http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                      917 371 6790
                    • Wizardgold
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 30, 2010
                        I have a Canon Vixia with a 3.5mm jack input for the microphone and I have just bought a Shure SM58 microphone to use with it.

                        The Shure is XLR so I had to get a cable which had the XLR at one end and 3.5mm jack at the other. I got the cable off Ebay easily.

                        It does work and the only thing is that it is only recording on the left track. Not sure yet if there is a problem. Maybe that is what it is supposed to do - Mono mic so just going to one side. What I did to get around this is to turn the recording into a mono track in AmadeusPro my multi track audio editor of choice.

                        Or if I wanted stereo I convert back to stereo in Amadeus again and I have the sound on left and right.

                        The only thing I want to do now is to make a test recording going into my behringer mixer to see how that works.

                        I will let you know how I get on.
                      • Carlos
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 30, 2010
                          couldn't you just get a decent xlr handheld and use an xlr to 1/8" cable like this one,
                          http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XVM115F/
                          -carlos

                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "calebjc" <calebjc@...> wrote:

                          > I think the famous Sure 57 is still viable with converters no??
                          >
                          > I've used them in very noisy rooms for man on the street and they are amazing at filtering out people talking near by. They can be use as hammer it seems too, they are very heavy seem made to withstand the band on the road life.
                          >

                          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Cris Thomas <thomas_cris@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > I am looking for a traditional hand held microphone to use for man-on-the-street news interviews. Everything I can find is either an XLR mic or a toy.
                          > >
                          > > I have a Panasonic TM300 which is a nice small camera but has a traditional 1/4 microphone jack. I know there are XLR converters which would be fine but all the ones I have seen are super huge and bulky, which kind of defeats the purpose of the small camera.
                          > >
                          > > So can anyone suggest a decent microphone with the right connector or a small XLR converter? Thanks.
                          > >
                          > > - C. Thomas

                        • Richard Amirault
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 30, 2010
                            From: "Wizardgold"

                            >I have a Canon Vixia with a 3.5mm jack input for the microphone and I have
                            >just bought a Shure SM58 microphone to use with it.
                            >
                            > The Shure is XLR so I had to get a cable which had the XLR at one end and
                            > 3.5mm jack at the other. I got the cable off Ebay easily.
                            >
                            > It does work and the only thing is that it is only recording on the left
                            > track. Not sure yet if there is a problem. Maybe that is what it is
                            > supposed to do - Mono mic so just going to one side.
                            (snip)

                            It's the adaptor that you got. Some of them are wired to put the XLR mic
                            signal to both sides of the audio .. and in addition they also have a stereo
                            1/8" plug. The one you have is just a mono plug/cable.

                            Richard Amirault
                            N1JDU
                            http://bostonfandom.org
                          • pageflex2001
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 30, 2010
                              The Hosa XVM 101F is of very inferior quality.
                              It works but the cable will break at connection points within a year. I had two of these, both broke at the same rate.
                              I would even go further, avoid HOSA products altogether since this is a company that builtds its products from inferior materials.

                              best

                              Renat

                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Amirault" <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            • pageflex2001
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 30, 2010
                                I have two of the Electro Voice 635a mics and they are very lasting.

                                Now my question is; Isn't the RE50B omnidirectional - meaning it will not isolate the unwanted background street noise. Also what's the difference between the RE50B and the RE50N/D-B. The Electrovoice site says that the RE50N/D-B adds high-output Neodymium capsule magnet. What does that do?

                                I'm curious what benefits brings upgrading from my 635a to RE50N/D-B.

                                Thanks

                                Renat

                              • Richard Amirault
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 30, 2010
                                  From: "pageflex2001"

                                  >I have two of the Electro Voice 635a mics and they are very lasting.
                                  >
                                  > Now my question is; Isn't the RE50B omnidirectional - meaning it will not
                                  > isolate the unwanted background street noise.

                                  Yes it is omnidirectional ... but so is the 635a. Just because it is
                                  omnidirectional does not mean it will capture all the unwanted background
                                  street noise. Sensitivity is also an issue. When your mouth is a few inches
                                  away from the mic it and the background noise is both much lower in volume
                                  and much farther away .. you will hear mostly your voice.

                                  Remember, the RE50 is can be seen daily on TV someplace in the country being
                                  used by on-the-street newscasters. If it wasn't good TV newcasters wouldn't
                                  be using it.

                                  > Also what's the difference between the RE50B and the RE50N/D-B. The
                                  > Electrovoice site says that the RE50N/D-B adds high-output Neodymium
                                  > capsule magnet. What does that do?

                                  It gives the mic a higher output (more signal)

                                  > I'm curious what benefits brings upgrading from my 635a to RE50N/D-B.

                                  Well, since the RE50 is nothing but a 635 inside .. you get a more
                                  professional looking housing that reduces handling noise more than you have
                                  now ... you get the Neodymium magnet for higher output (but you *can* get
                                  the 635 with the same option if you want)

                                  Richard Amirault
                                  N1JDU
                                  http://bostonfandom.org
                                • pageflex2001
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 30, 2010
                                    Thanks Richard!

                                    I decided to stay with my 635a's, at least for now.

                                    best

                                  • Carlos
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 31, 2010
                                      thanks for the info on hosa products, renat!

                                      i just googled the cable & that's what came up. guess i should have done a little more research.

                                      i usually use neutriks but don't know if they have xlr to 1/8" cables. here's a list of xlr to mini on the b&h site, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Mini-to-XLR-Cables/ci/4172/N/4294549271

                                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "pageflex2001" <innomind@...> wrote:

                                      > The Hosa XVM 101F is of very inferior quality.
                                      > It works but the cable will break at connection points within a year. I had two of these, both broke at the same rate.
                                      > I would even go further, avoid HOSA products altogether since this is a company that builtds its products from inferior materials.
                                      >
                                      > best
                                      >
                                      > Renat

                                    • pageflex2001
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 1, 2010
                                        You're welcome Carlos,

                                        If you are in NYC, I suggest you pay a visit to Sam Ash store in Times Square. I had an XLR to 1/8" cable custom-made there using the highest quality cabling and plug. They solder the whole thing in front of you to your own cable length spects. One caveat though, when they first soldered it I discovered that the mike started playing only one channel (either left or right, i forget). So I went back and asked to to wire the cable so that both channels go into the camcorder. After some experimenting we achieved it.

                                        cheers

                                        Renat

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 9, 2010
                                          Just to follow up on my original microphone questions...

                                          I ended up going with two Mics. A Rode Video Mic that attaches to the cold shoe and inputs dual channel audio (I don't know if it is really stereo or not, probably not). All of the reviews I read on this Mic said it was awesome so I expected about half of that, but I was wrong. It is awesome, especially at the price.  I did one interview with the camera and mic on a tripod about three feet away while I and the interviewee sat on a couch in a noisy hotel lobby, The mic got minimal background noise and both of our voices are very clear. I am very impressed.

                                          As a bonus for me anyway, since it is larger than my camera, it makes the camera look a little more professional and people don't look at me like I am just some dweeb with a camera.

                                          As for the original question about hand held Mics I was in a hurry and didn't have much budget so I opted for the Radio Shack $25 Mic with the build in 1/4 cable. I added an 1/8 adapter and plugged it into the camera. I covered the mic with a $5 pop filter and did my interviews that way. All of them came out great, even when I didn't have the mic very close to the interviewees mouth the sound was still more than acceptable.  It only records in mono but I was able to copy the left channel to the right side without to much trouble in FCE. I'm sure you audiophiles are aghast that I used a RatShack microphone instead of some $200 thing but it works for me with what I'm doing. I'm happy with it.

                                          I made a home made Mic flag for it that came out pretty well. So between the MIc flag, the Rode Mic and the tripod I think I made quite the impression. I had a few people ask me what TV station I was recording for!

                                          I did discover that I need a lighting solution, but I'll make new post for that question.  Thanks everyone for your input!  This is a great list!

                                          - C. Thomas

                                        • Rupert Howe
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 9, 2010
                                            Awesome!

                                            On 9 Feb 2010, at 14:22, Cris Thomas wrote:

                                            > Just to follow up on my original microphone questions...
                                            >
                                            > I ended up going with two Mics. A Rode Video Mic that attaches to
                                            > the cold shoe and inputs dual channel audio (I don't know if it is
                                            > really stereo or not, probably not). All of the reviews I read on
                                            > this Mic said it was awesome so I expected about half of that, but I
                                            > was wrong. It is awesome, especially at the price. I did one
                                            > interview with the camera and mic on a tripod about three feet away
                                            > while I and the interviewee sat on a couch in a noisy hotel lobby,
                                            > The mic got minimal background noise and both of our voices are very
                                            > clear. I am very impressed.
                                            >
                                            > As a bonus for me anyway, since it is larger than my camera, it
                                            > makes the camera look a little more professional and people don't
                                            > look at me like I am just some dweeb with a camera.
                                            >
                                            > As for the original question about hand held Mics I was in a hurry
                                            > and didn't have much budget so I opted for the Radio Shack $25 Mic
                                            > with the build in 1/4 cable. I added an 1/8 adapter and plugged it
                                            > into the camera. I covered the mic with a $5 pop filter and did my
                                            > interviews that way. All of them came out great, even when I didn't
                                            > have the mic very close to the interviewees mouth the sound was
                                            > still more than acceptable. It only records in mono but I was able
                                            > to copy the left channel to the right side without to much trouble
                                            > in FCE. I'm sure you audiophiles are aghast that I used a RatShack
                                            > microphone instead of some $200 thing but it works for me with what
                                            > I'm doing. I'm happy with it.
                                            >
                                            > I made a home made Mic flag for it that came out pretty well. So
                                            > between the MIc flag, the Rode Mic and the tripod I think I made
                                            > quite the impression. I had a few people ask me what TV station I
                                            > was recording for!
                                            >
                                            > I did discover that I need a lighting solution, but I'll make new
                                            > post for that question. Thanks everyone for your input! This is a
                                            > great list!
                                            >
                                            > - C. Thomas

                                          • Richard Amirault
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 9, 2010
                                              From: "Cris Thomas"
                                              > I ended up going with two Mics. A Rode Video Mic that attaches to the cold
                                              > shoe and inputs dual channel audio (I don't know if it is really stereo or
                                              > not, probably not).

                                              That's a mono mic .. the stereo version looks different and is called the
                                              Rode Stereo Video Mic (and also costs more)

                                              (snip)
                                              > I'm sure you audiophiles are aghast that I used a RatShack microphone
                                              > instead of some $200 thing but it works for me with what I'm doing. I'm
                                              > happy with it.

                                              Very often an inexpensive mic placed close to the subject will outperform a
                                              much more expensive mic placed far away. Of course the expensive mic placed
                                              close will likely be better still ;-)

                                              > I made a home made Mic flag for it that came out pretty well. So between
                                              > the MIc flag, the Rode Mic and the tripod I think I made quite the
                                              > impression. I had a few people ask me what TV station I was recording for!

                                              You can purchase blank mic flags that come with foam inserts. A bit of
                                              photoshop or even a word processor .. some sissors .. and some rubber cement
                                              and you have a mic flag that (on camera at least) is hard to tell that it
                                              wasn't custom made.

                                              Richard Amirault
                                              Boston, MA, USA
                                              http://n1jdu.org
                                              http://bostonfandom.org
                                            • David Jones
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 9, 2010
                                                On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Cris Thomas <thomas_cris@...> wrote:
                                                > As for the original question about hand held Mics I was in a hurry and didn't have much budget so I opted for the Radio Shack $25 Mic with the build in 1/4 cable. I added an 1/8 adapter and plugged it into the camera. I covered the mic with a $5 pop filter and did my interviews that way. All of them came out great, even when I didn't have the mic very close to the interviewees mouth the sound was still more than acceptable.  It only records in mono but I was able to copy the left channel to the right side without to much trouble in FCE.

                                                You can fix that with a mono to stereo adapter:
                                                http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102690
                                                It just feeds the same mono signal into both stereo inputs, so no
                                                post-processing required.

                                                Dave.
                                              • Richard Amirault
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 9, 2010
                                                  From: "David Jones"

                                                  > You can fix that with a mono to stereo adapter:
                                                  > It just feeds the same mono signal into both stereo inputs, so no
                                                  > post-processing required.

                                                  That should work ... BUT ... adding adaptors can lead to problems. The more
                                                  adaptors you use the more places there are for something to go wrong.

                                                  Richard Amirault
                                                  N1JDU
                                                  http://bostonfandom.org
                                                • David Jones
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 9, 2010
                                                    On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Richard Amirault
                                                    <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                                    It might be possible to get a direct 1/4" mono to 1/8" stereo adapter.
                                                    Or if it was me I'd just just off the 1/4" plug and solder on a new
                                                    1/8" stereo plug directly.

                                                    Dave.
                                                  • Cris Thomas
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                                                      > You can fix that with a mono to stereo adapter:
                                                      > http://www.radiosha ck.com/product/ index.jsp? productId= 2102690
                                                      > It just feeds the same mono signal into both stereo inputs, so no
                                                      > post-processing required.

                                                      Wow! I must have spent an hour searching the Rat Shack site for one of those. I figured they didn't exist. Thanks!

                                                      - C. Thomas