Re: Videoblogger's Fundraiser

  • johnleeke
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2010
      > are you thinking of http://havemoneywillvlog.com? great project

      Yes, that's it! It was operational back in 2006 & 7.

      Ryanne posted a year ago that the project was on hiatus.

      I'm planning to start up a similar project in another field, and wondering what the organizers think as they look back on it.

      What made it work?

      Why isn't it still chugging along?

      Any advice for someone starting up such a project?

      Thanks for your help.

      John
      www.HistoricHomeWorks.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010
        > > are you thinking of http://havemoneywillvlog.com? great project
        >
        > Yes, that's it! It was operational back in 2006 & 7.
        > Ryanne posted a year ago that the project was on hiatus.
        > I'm planning to start up a similar project in another field, and wondering what the organizers think as they look back on it.
        > What made it work?
        > Why isn't it still chugging along?
        > Any advice for someone starting up such a project?

        http://havemoneywillvlog.com was more of an experiment from an
        inspired idea by Markus Sandy. It was just a WP blog with a very crude
        (but effective) plugin that allowed the request and showcasing of
        donations (plugin made by Devon White).

        http://www.kickstarter.com/ launched last year and basically refined
        and professionalized the process. Looks really nice.

        When we helped raise money for videoblog projects, several factors
        seemed key to success:
        --a clear explanation of the project (with video)
        --a clear timeline
        --a clear set of "deliverables". If I give you money, what exactly
        will you do with it?
        --some kind of feedback loop so people dot feel like they're giving
        money into a blackhole.
        --ability for people to see the other people who've donated and a
        running tally of your fundraising (transparency)

        Most projects raise money from family, friends, personal networks. I
        bet its rare to have total strangers donate money unless you already
        have an established reputation. Something like HMWV or Kickstarter is
        cool because it streamlines the donation project, and lets you set a
        goal. Much more effective than a plain "buy me a beer" Paypal button
        on your sidebar. If I donate to you, I want to see other people donate
        and see results from the money I give you. These fundraising sites
        help make a deal between you and the community. If I donate and you
        fuck off with the money, you're reputation is at stake. If you
        succeed, future projects might be easier to fund.

        Projects that Ive seen fail are the ones that are very ambiguous: "I
        need $5000 to buy an HD camera." That's cool. I need an HD camera too.
        Tell me about what you're going to do that's so cool that I'll skip a
        nice meal this month to support your work.

        http://ryanishungry.com
        http://momentshowing.net
        http://twitter.com/jaydedman
        917 371 6790
      • johnleeke
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010
          Thanks Jay, just the kind of thoughful reply that will be useful.

          What was the service you used to handle the money?

          John
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
            > Thanks Jay, just the kind of thoughful reply that will be useful.
            > What was the service you used to handle the money?

            I know of three online payment services:
            --Amazon Payments
            --Paypal
            --Google checkout

            If you use http://www.kickstarter.com/, they use Amazon Payments.
            Check out their service. They have nice design and feature creative
            projects that are well explained.

            For http://havemoneywillvlog.com, we used Paypal. The "Pledge Drive"
            plugin allowed us to put in the creator's Paypal info and all
            donations went to that account.

            http://ryanishungry.com
            http://momentshowing.net
            http://twitter.com/jaydedman
            917 371 6790
          • daredolls
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
              http://www.e-junkie.com/ej/shopping-cart.htm

              this link is to the e-junkie page listing 6 payment services.

              e-junkie charges a storage fee for your library monthly depending on size and charges nothing per download.

              their payment links work flawlessly. we have them dump it all into a paypal account for disbursement.