Videoblogger's Fundraiser

  • johnleeke
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2010
      What was the project started a couple of years ago that was designed to raise funds for video bloggers?

      I recall contributing to a couple of the video bloggers, but now I can't find the website.

      Thanks!

      John
      www.HistoricHomeWorks.com
    • Kath O'Donnell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2010
        are you thinking of http://havemoneywillvlog.com? great project

        2010/1/5 johnleeke <johnleeke@...>

        > What was the project started a couple of years ago that was designed to
        > raise funds for video bloggers?
        >
        > I recall contributing to a couple of the video bloggers, but now I can't
        > find the website.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > John
        > www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

      • johnleeke
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2010
          > are you thinking of http://havemoneywillvlog.com? great project

          Yes, that's it! It was operational back in 2006 & 7.

          Ryanne posted a year ago that the project was on hiatus.

          I'm planning to start up a similar project in another field, and wondering what the organizers think as they look back on it.

          What made it work?

          Why isn't it still chugging along?

          Any advice for someone starting up such a project?

          Thanks for your help.

          John
          www.HistoricHomeWorks.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010
            > > are you thinking of http://havemoneywillvlog.com? great project
            >
            > Yes, that's it! It was operational back in 2006 & 7.
            > Ryanne posted a year ago that the project was on hiatus.
            > I'm planning to start up a similar project in another field, and wondering what the organizers think as they look back on it.
            > What made it work?
            > Why isn't it still chugging along?
            > Any advice for someone starting up such a project?

            http://havemoneywillvlog.com was more of an experiment from an
            inspired idea by Markus Sandy. It was just a WP blog with a very crude
            (but effective) plugin that allowed the request and showcasing of
            donations (plugin made by Devon White).

            http://www.kickstarter.com/ launched last year and basically refined
            and professionalized the process. Looks really nice.

            When we helped raise money for videoblog projects, several factors
            seemed key to success:
            --a clear explanation of the project (with video)
            --a clear timeline
            --a clear set of "deliverables". If I give you money, what exactly
            will you do with it?
            --some kind of feedback loop so people dot feel like they're giving
            money into a blackhole.
            --ability for people to see the other people who've donated and a
            running tally of your fundraising (transparency)

            Most projects raise money from family, friends, personal networks. I
            bet its rare to have total strangers donate money unless you already
            have an established reputation. Something like HMWV or Kickstarter is
            cool because it streamlines the donation project, and lets you set a
            goal. Much more effective than a plain "buy me a beer" Paypal button
            on your sidebar. If I donate to you, I want to see other people donate
            and see results from the money I give you. These fundraising sites
            help make a deal between you and the community. If I donate and you
            fuck off with the money, you're reputation is at stake. If you
            succeed, future projects might be easier to fund.

            Projects that Ive seen fail are the ones that are very ambiguous: "I
            need $5000 to buy an HD camera." That's cool. I need an HD camera too.
            Tell me about what you're going to do that's so cool that I'll skip a
            nice meal this month to support your work.

            http://ryanishungry.com
            http://momentshowing.net
            http://twitter.com/jaydedman
            917 371 6790
          • johnleeke
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010
              Thanks Jay, just the kind of thoughful reply that will be useful.

              What was the service you used to handle the money?

              John
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
                > Thanks Jay, just the kind of thoughful reply that will be useful.
                > What was the service you used to handle the money?

                I know of three online payment services:
                --Amazon Payments
                --Paypal
                --Google checkout

                If you use http://www.kickstarter.com/, they use Amazon Payments.
                Check out their service. They have nice design and feature creative
                projects that are well explained.

                For http://havemoneywillvlog.com, we used Paypal. The "Pledge Drive"
                plugin allowed us to put in the creator's Paypal info and all
                donations went to that account.

                http://ryanishungry.com
                http://momentshowing.net
                http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                917 371 6790
              • daredolls
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
                  http://www.e-junkie.com/ej/shopping-cart.htm

                  this link is to the e-junkie page listing 6 payment services.

                  e-junkie charges a storage fee for your library monthly depending on size and charges nothing per download.

                  their payment links work flawlessly. we have them dump it all into a paypal account for disbursement.