The WGBH Lab | NOVA's "What Darwin Never Knew", and new Life Stories

  • WGBH Lab
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2009
      Hey WGBH Lab Friends -

      Did you watch NOVA's "What Darwin Never Knew", last night? Did it inspire you? We sure hope so, because, today is the last day for you to submit your Life Stories for our NOVA Open Call. Get your submission in today at lab.wgbh.org, and your video short may be broadcast in conjunction with future NOVA programming on Life and Evolution.

      Not submitting a Life Story? That's okay - you can still visit the site and leave comments for your favorite submissions. Review Life Stories, and let us know which ones were your favorites.

      Here are some new submissions:

      I Am Evolution - If Evolution, as a totality, became self-aware, and could express itself, this is what it might say.
      http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/i-am-evolution

      The Colors of Veil - Explore the journey of a former US solider who converted to Islam, and found a new purpose for her life.
      http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/colors-veil

      Impromptu Life - Containing an introduction of self and project, this animation is based off of life ideas and concepts.
      http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/impromptu-life

      View more at: http://thewgbhlab.org/nova-recently-added

      Have a great day!
      The WGBH Lab
    • Adam Quirk
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
        I've just realized something about the emails WGBH sends our group. They
        aren't signed by a human, and they aren't written conversationally (as they
        should be to an email conversation group).

        They contain pertinent information, but they're selling me something. Which
        is crazy because theyre not even asking for money, they're selling me their
        website, they're asking for a piece of my time and attention. But they
        aren't asking me human to human, they're Selling me, company to customer.

        It's a weird thing. It's weird that nobody has ever responded to a message
        from WGBH on this Yahoo list since they opened up their B-roll for remixing
        in 2008 (maybe just seeding the group with good will before their campaign
        for our attention?).

        WGBH does really amazing things and is in many ways leading the entire TV
        broadcast world with their attention to the amateur/social/personal media
        inception and evolution. So it's weird that they would choose to interact
        with this group in a non-personal way.

        This was just a thought I had when I got an email from a Brooklyn cohort
        named Carlos who just recently saw the video he submitted to WGBH go live on
        their contest website. I visited his link and watched the video and liked
        it. I'm going back now to watch more.

        Here's his:
        http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/everyday-moments

        Ok,
        --

        <http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/everyday-moments>Adam Quirk
        http://wreckandsalvage.com for the most part

        On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:15 AM, WGBH Lab <wgbhlab@...> wrote:

        > Hey WGBH Lab Friends -
        >
        > Did you watch NOVA's "What Darwin Never Knew", last night? Did it inspire
        > you? We sure hope so, because, today is the last day for you to submit your
        > Life Stories for our NOVA Open Call. Get your submission in today at
        > lab.wgbh.org, and your video short may be broadcast in conjunction with
        > future NOVA programming on Life and Evolution.
        >
        > Not submitting a Life Story? That's okay - you can still visit the site
        > and leave comments for your favorite submissions. Review Life Stories, and
        > let us know which ones were your favorites.
        >
        > Here are some new submissions:

        > I Am Evolution - If Evolution, as a totality, became self-aware, and could
        > express itself, this is what it might say.
        > http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/i-am-evolution
        >
        > The Colors of Veil - Explore the journey of a former US solider who
        > converted to Islam, and found a new purpose for her life.
        > http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/colors-veil
        >
        > Impromptu Life - Containing an introduction of self and project, this
        > animation is based off of life ideas and concepts.
        > http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/impromptu-life

        > View more at: http://thewgbhlab.org/nova-recently-added
        >
        > Have a great day!
        > The WGBH Lab

      • Christopher
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
          Adam you are so right. Thanks for pointing this out. I appreciate the feedback. Part of the reason why I had these blanket e-blast go out was I was attempting to make sure the The WGBH LAB had regular e-mails go out that alerted folks to our ongoing and new activities, which tends to come in drips and drabs and then buckets..
          For this group, we should have had something more personal. In fact, they should all be more personal to everyone and we will work on it.
          Thanks for the feedback and sharing the link. Also, I'm in this group daily.. so feel free shoot me questions here. I don't always respond as part of The WGBH Lab but occasionally I do respond to geeky tech stuff that comes up.

          best,
          Chris Hastings
          The WGBH Lab

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adam Quirk <quirk@...> wrote:

          > I've just realized something about the emails WGBH sends our group. They
          > aren't signed by a human, and they aren't written conversationally (as they
          > should be to an email conversation group).
          >
          > They contain pertinent information, but they're selling me something. Which
          > is crazy because theyre not even asking for money, they're selling me their
          > website, they're asking for a piece of my time and attention. But they
          > aren't asking me human to human, they're Selling me, company to customer.
          >
          > It's a weird thing. It's weird that nobody has ever responded to a message
          > from WGBH on this Yahoo list since they opened up their B-roll for remixing
          > in 2008 (maybe just seeding the group with good will before their campaign
          > for our attention?).
          >
          > WGBH does really amazing things and is in many ways leading the entire TV
          > broadcast world with their attention to the amateur/social/personal media
          > inception and evolution. So it's weird that they would choose to interact
          > with this group in a non-personal way.
          >
          > This was just a thought I had when I got an email from a Brooklyn cohort
          > named Carlos who just recently saw the video he submitted to WGBH go live on
          > their contest website. I visited his link and watched the video and liked
          > it. I'm going back now to watch more.
          >
          > Here's his:
          > http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/everyday-moments
          >
          > Ok,
          > --
          >
          > <http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/everyday-moments>Adam Quirk
          > http://wreckandsalvage.com for the most part
          >
          > On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:15 AM, WGBH Lab <wgbhlab@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hey WGBH Lab Friends -
          > >
          > > Did you watch NOVA's "What Darwin Never Knew", last night? Did it inspire
          > > you? We sure hope so, because, today is the last day for you to submit your
          > > Life Stories for our NOVA Open Call. Get your submission in today at
          > > lab.wgbh.org, and your video short may be broadcast in conjunction with
          > > future NOVA programming on Life and Evolution.
          > >
          > > Not submitting a Life Story? That's okay - you can still visit the site
          > > and leave comments for your favorite submissions. Review Life Stories, and
          > > let us know which ones were your favorites.
          > >
          > > Here are some new submissions:

          > > I Am Evolution - If Evolution, as a totality, became self-aware, and could
          > > express itself, this is what it might say.
          > > http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/i-am-evolution
          > >
          > > The Colors of Veil - Explore the journey of a former US solider who
          > > converted to Islam, and found a new purpose for her life.
          > > http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/colors-veil
          > >
          > > Impromptu Life - Containing an introduction of self and project, this
          > > animation is based off of life ideas and concepts.
          > > http://thewgbhlab.org/nova_video/impromptu-life

          > > View more at: http://thewgbhlab.org/nova-recently-added
          > >
          > > Have a great day!
          > > The WGBH Lab

        • Adam Quirk
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
            Chris,

            WGBH Lab is great, and you guys are really doing a lot of things right. I
            think tweaking the way you reach out to groups will be a good way to bring
            more creators into the fold. Best of luck, and keep up the good work.

            Ok,

            --
            Adam Quirk
            http://wreckandsalvage.com