BETA TESTERS?

  • theurbanreporter
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2009
      Does anyone Beta test any new video sites, or cams? Any suggestions on how to meet reps or folks looking to test new technology?

      I have a unique perspective being a traditional professional news broadcast reporter, and experienced vlogger.

      Amani Channel
      www.visualeyemedia.com
      www.myurbanreport.com
      (404) 213-2121
      @urbanreporter
      @visualeyemedia
    • Ernie
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 29, 2009
        That would be a cool thing to find out. Would be great to test out some new
        gear.

        Ernmander

        http://www.ernmander.com

        On 29/12/2009 21:31, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone Beta test any new video sites, or cams? Any suggestions on how to
        > meet reps or folks looking to test new technology?
        >
        > I have a unique perspective being a traditional professional news broadcast
        > reporter, and experienced vlogger.
        >
        > Amani Channel
        > www.visualeyemedia.com
        > www.myurbanreport.com
        > (404) 213-2121
        > @urbanreporter
        > @visualeyemedia

      • David Jones
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 29, 2009
          > > Does anyone Beta test any new video sites, or cams? Any suggestions on how to
          > > meet reps or folks looking to test new technology?
          > >
          > > I have a unique perspective being a traditional professional news broadcast
          > > reporter, and experienced vlogger.

          I review (engineering) products on my video blog.
          I've found you have to build up a rep first by doing reviews on gear
          you can get your hands on. Buy and resell if you have to, it probably
          won't cost much.
          Then the manufacturers might start coming to you.

          Dave.
        • Jim Turner
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 29, 2009
            I think this is a great discussion and one I heard about three years ago
            when Mommy Bloggers were talking about how they should find ways to get
            their hands on things they are already using and review them. Is this
            history repeating?

            --
            Jim Turner
            One By One Media, LLC

          • Kevin Lim
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 29, 2009
              More so than ever, companies are "googling" for users to review their goods.

              I find that it's best not to expect folks to give you something to review.
              (Seen too many bloggers begging for review samples at gadget expos)

              You should be willing to buy and use it in the first place.

              That said, there's no harm asking politely to see what they say.

              Focus on a genre of products you enjoy reviewing, then...
              "Write write write, get linked linked linked, be found found found"

              Another Tip: A great forum post can also go a LONG way... a buddy of
              mine digs deep into AV equipment and shared his experience on
              http://www.avsforum.com/. He was discovered by a major tech company
              who invited him sign a non-disclosure to beta-test emerging new
              consumer devices.

              Kevin Lim
              Cyberculturalist
              http://theory.isthereason.com
              This email is: [ ] bloggable [X] ask first [ ] private
              email locator: ╔╗╔═╦╗ ║╚╣║║╚╗ ╚═╩═╩═╝

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 29, 2009
                Jim,
                I heard from an overseas girl-friend about the mommy bloggers
                fiasco, but I'm not clear what happened. Do you have details about it?

                From what I recall, there was a major meetup for mommy bloggers and
                brands showed up to give them tons of freebies, which turned it into a
                horrific grabfest. Folks felt ashamed by the whole incident and I
                think ethical concerns were raised.

                I'm sketchy as I said, and I tried googling, but lacked details.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 29, 2009
                  Kevin I wouldn't call it a fiasco necessarily but more of a paradigm shift
                  in the way marketing of products occurred online with users.

                  The grabfest you refer to was probably BlogHer held in Chicago where every
                  brand possible was trying to get their products into the hands of a blogger
                  that might write about it and send them traffic links etc.

                  We had a similar attempt to introduce brands to bloggers at Blog World Expo
                  which was more of what we called a speed dating moment where bloggers could
                  sit down with brands and see how they could collaborate. Meaning how can we
                  get you to expose our products to your community.

                  This is the new age of marketing in the social media world and everyone is
                  falling over themselves to figure it out.

                  I was referring to when the bloggers had figured out that they had leverage
                  to the company brands in "community" and readers, or listeners or the like.

                  The review products are flying off the shelves to bloggers and perhaps now
                  even the video world to get them to help sale the goods.

                  This is in part why the FTC has now called out the disclosure regulations
                  related to review products.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 29, 2009
                    Jim,
                    Thanks for the excellent overview. It was indeed BlogHer which my friend
                    was referring to.

                    It's like a moment of media-renaissance: end-user communities, marketers,
                    and brands becoming fully aware of the media ecosystem, and leveraging on it
                    for their own ends.

                    Judging from the way I gather intelligence before purchasing a product, I do
                    find myself referring to Youtube videos more than ever to see how it works.

                    I can concur with you about the paradigm shift:
                    Few years ago, I wanted to use a Nokia cameraphone for a wearable
                    sousveillance project, so I approached a PR firm that I knew to be managing
                    their account. The PR firm was surprised, saying they were never approached
                    from an end-user/blogger before, mostly from client-side. They communicated
                    my proposal to Nokia, and approved me for sponsorship.

                    "We're ultimately selling to ourselves, which is what brands want."

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 30, 2009
                      Thanks for all of this feedback. I heard about the BlogHer fiasco, and believe that no so long ago the Mommy Bloggers rebelled against the brands that had been hustling them for reviews. I'm mostly interested in the pocket flash cameras like the Flip.. and Kodak. I already own the Mino, and the SD Flip, so maybe I'll start there. I figure a bunch of folks got em for Xmas anyway.

                      Happy New Year!

                      Thanks for the conversations.

                      Amani Channel
                      http://www.visualeyemedia.com
                      http://www.myurbanreport.com
                      (404) 213-2121

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Lim <brainopera@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > >
                      > > > Kevin Lim
                      > > > Cyberculturalist
                      > > > http://theory.isthereason.com
                      > > > This email is: [ ] bloggable [X] ask first [ ] private
                      > > > email locator: â•"╗â•"═╦╗ â•`╚╣â•`â•`╚╗ ╚═╩═╩═╝
                      > > >
                      > > > On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Kevin Lim <brainopera@...<brainopera%40gmail.com>
                      > > <brainopera%40gmail.com>>

                      > > > goods.

                      > > > review.

                      > > <jturner%40onebyonemedia.com>>

                      > > > ago
                      > > get

                      > > <david.jones%40altium.com>>

                      > > suggestions
                      > > > on

                      > > Jim Turner
                      > > One By One Media, LLC
                      > > www.onebyonemedia.com
                      > > www.bloggersforhire.com
                      > > @Genuine
                      > > this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

                    • Steve Garfield
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 2, 2010
                        Hi Amani.

                        You know I think you're doing a great job by sharing yor knowledge on your site. ONe thing you could do is add more text to your video posts.

                        In this example you are explaining how to use a pro mic, but the reader needs to view hte video to learn how.

                        http://www.myurbanreport.com/2009/12/video-production-123s/

                        If you add text to describe what's in your video, it will make the video easier to be found via Google.

                        You also call it a 'profesional microphone,' I'd call it an 'electro-voice RE20 professional microphone' and link THAT back to electro-voice.

                        After writing the review, I'd drop the company an email to let them know it's out there. It they are on twitter, send them a message there.

                        By doing hte interview, you're helping people learn more about the product and it's valuable.

                        In my case, I bought all my equipment my self and blogged about how I was using it to make video. In the beginning when we were all learning, when I posted each video, I also explained how I made it.

                        Even recently I purchased a number of new cameras and microphone to test for my book, Get Seen. It was hard contacting each of the companies and some don't even have a presence on social media sites.

                        For those products that I had to have in the book, I borrowed a product, or tried one from a friend.

                        When I saw that no one had done a review of the iPod touch when it added a video recorder, I went to the Apple Store nad did a review there and took product shots.

                        The most last thing I added to the book was a review of the new Windows Media Maker that runs on Windows 7. I learned it and made a movie and posted it while at the local Microsoft center for a presentation.

                        Once you have a history of being someone who can write well and review products, companies shold want to contact you.

                        Best wishes for a productive 2010 reviewing new products.

                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "theurbanreporter" <amani_c@...> wrote:

                        > Does anyone Beta test any new video sites, or cams? Any suggestions on how to meet reps or folks looking to test new technology?
                        >
                        > I have a unique perspective being a traditional professional news broadcast reporter, and experienced vlogger.
                        >
                        > Amani Channel
                        > www.visualeyemedia.com
                        > www.myurbanreport.com
                        > (404) 213-2121
                        > @urbanreporter
                        > @visualeyemedia

                      • theurbanreporter
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010
                          Thanks Steve! Appreciate your suggestions. Happy New Year.