Re: [videoblogging] Editing iPhone 3Gs Video w. FCP

  • Kevin Lim
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 28, 2009
      Hey Amani,
         Nice work with the behind-the-scenes video on the iPhone.

      I've been experimenting with wearable and cameraphone videos for a
      while, and the iPhone does make capturing and distributing clips as
      easy as (if not easier than) a Flip cam.

      My goal is to produce and distribute decently produced video around
      events as quickly as possible. Traditionally I'd edit with iMovie with
      minimal fuss.

      More recently, I got myself several iPhone tripod solutions, inclusing
      the amazing OWLE (wantOWLE.com) camera mount for $99, which act as an
      iPhone stabilizer, provides a position-able external microphone, and
      most importantly, a bright 37 mm wide-angle lens built for the iPhone
      3GS that improves the quality of mobile video. The mounts lets you
      swap lenses for the iPhone, which is insanely great.

      I do find that the iPhone does manage to handle tricky lighting
      scenarios better than regular pocket cams (e.g. Flip cam), due to the
      our ability to tap on the picture region for camera focus. Audio gets
      tricker, especially if you use an external line-in or higher quality
      dock-connector microphone. I learned the hard way about interference
      from the iPhone's cell signals, so I've to remember to turn on
      "Airplane mode" next time I shoot.

      Here's an example of a video interview I did where halfway through, I
      had to lower the audio and put in subtitles:
      http://theory.isthereason.com/?p=2832

      Finally, I've been trying to work with video WITHOUT my MacBook Pro,
      solely relying on the iPhone to capture, edit and distribute clips
      online. I've used ReelDirector to edit videos on the iPhone (it's like
      a lite iMovie) with great success, as well as several video sharing
      tools such as TwitVid and Vidly. I do this mostly for the conference
      sessions I capture. Friends on twitter are amazed by the speed I can
      get the clips up for further discussion.

      Kevin Lim
      Cyberculturalist
      http://theory.isthereason.com
      This email is:   [ ] bloggable    [X] ask first   [ ] private
      email locator: ╔╗╔═╦╗ ║╚╣║║╚╗ ╚═╩═╩═╝

      On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 2:08 PM, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:

      > I'm sure some of you are already doing this, but I just edited my first video podcast episode using my iPhone 3Gs.
      >
      > I'm fairly happy with the quality of the iPhone vid even after being compressed.
      >
      > I added some music to the video as well, and lower thirds (Adobe Premier Pro).
      >
      > Curious how many of you are editing iPhone or Flip vid?
      >
      > If you have any questions, please ask!
      >
      > Here's the link.
      >
      > http://www.myurbanreport.com/2009/12/watch-this-edited-iphone-3gs-video/
      >
      > Cheers!
      >
      > Amani Channel
      > www.myurbanreport.com
      > www.visualeyemedia.com

    • Michael Verdi
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 28, 2009
        I've been using reeldirector on my iphone and also occasionally using
        fcp to edit my iphone clips.
        Here's something shot and edited on the iphone:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/verdi/4080781804/
        And here's one edited in FCP with a tutorial on how I did it:
        http://michaelverdi.com/2009/11/21/what-the-hell/

        - Verdi

        Michael Verdi
        http://michaelverdi.com
        http://talkbot.tv
      • theurbanreporter
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 28, 2009
          Great info. You guys are doing great work.

          ac

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 28, 2009
            On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 2:08 PM, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:
            > I'm sure some of you are already doing this, but I just edited my first video podcast episode using my iPhone 3Gs.
            > I'm fairly happy with the quality of the iPhone vid even after being compressed.
            > I added some music to the video as well, and lower thirds (Adobe Premier Pro).
            > Curious how many of you are editing iPhone or Flip vid?

            I started editing my iPhone clips. Verdi made this nice tutorial to
            keep the quality high while compressing:
            http://michaelverdi.com/2009/11/21/what-the-hell/

            I also had to learn the hardway that it's best to hold the iPhone
            horizontal while recording. If not, you have a lot of tall, narrow
            video clips that mix with the horizontal clips. The tall, narrow clips
            also dont post well on Youtube.

            http://ryanishungry.com
            http://twitter.com/jaydedman
            917 371 6790
          • Kevin Lim
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 28, 2009
              Jay,
              I believe yfrog and flickr deal well with portrait videos... it's
              unconventional, but I like that we get to break traditional forms.

              Still, I'd like to see an iPhone video update where we get to lock-in the
              video/photo orientation, especially since it's way more convenient holding
              the iPhone in portrait mode.

              Kevin Lim
              Cyberculturalist

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 28, 2009
                > I believe yfrog and flickr deal well with portrait videos... it's
                > unconventional, but I like that we get to break traditional forms.

                Blip handles the portrait (vertical) videos as well. But upload to
                Youtube and they force into a 640x480 box with black bars.

                > Still, I'd like to see an iPhone video update where we get to lock-in the
                > video/photo orientation, especially since it's way more convenient holding
                > the iPhone in portrait mode.

                It is cool to play with an unconventional frame but i can imagine the
                weird frame size screwing some newer videos folks up.

                http://ryanishungry.com
                http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                917 371 6790
              • theurbanreporter
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 29, 2009
                  Jay,

                  I've noticed that a few people make that mistake. I wonder how many people would be interested in iPhone and Flip cam video tutorials? I haven't had any issues compressing since I started using mpegstreamclip www.squared5.com. I will check out the tutorial though.

                  > On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 2:08 PM, theurbanreporter <amani_c@...> wrote:
                  > > I'm sure some of you are already doing this, but I just edited my first video podcast episode using my iPhone 3Gs.
                  > > I'm fairly happy with the quality of the iPhone vid even after being compressed.
                  > > I added some music to the video as well, and lower thirds (Adobe Premier Pro).
                  > > Curious how many of you are editing iPhone or Flip vid?
                  >
                  > I started editing my iPhone clips. Verdi made this nice tutorial to
                  > keep the quality high while compressing:
                  > http://michaelverdi.com/2009/11/21/what-the-hell/
                  >
                  > I also had to learn the hardway that it's best to hold the iPhone
                  > horizontal while recording. If not, you have a lot of tall, narrow
                  > video clips that mix with the horizontal clips. The tall, narrow clips
                  > also dont post well on Youtube.

                  > http://ryanishungry.com
                  > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                  > 917 371 6790

                • theurbanreporter
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 29, 2009
                    It may be a break from traditional forms, but you cand edit vertical video.. well you can, but it hardly looks right. If the iPhone technology worked like the UStream live app it wouldn't be so much of a problem.. but I think UStream reduces the video to 320X240 which is small.

                    Amani Channel
                    www.visualeyemedia.com
                    www.myurbanreport.com