Re: [videoblogging] $120 Wireless Mic review

  • Pete Prodoehl
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
      I've found "Audio-technica" and "too good to be true" know each other
      quite well...

      I think a "good" (not "great") wireless lav might start around $300 or so.

      Pete

      Caleb Clark wrote:
      > I just discovered the Audio-technica ATR288W, seems almost too good to be
      > true for $120...I'm sure the range is low, but I'm only needing 100 ft or
      > less for documentation stuff and guest speakers, presenters, etc.
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQgc6zEYMo&feature=related

    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
        From: "Caleb Clark"

        >I just discovered the Audio-technica ATR288W, seems almost too good to be
        > true for $120...I'm sure the range is low, but I'm only needing 100 ft or
        > less for documentation stuff and guest speakers, presenters, etc.
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQgc6zEYMo&feature=related

        I started to watch that video .. and the guy presenting has no clue, sorry.
        Aside from not pronouncing "mic" correctly .. he wants run multiple
        transmitters into a single receiver .. sorry .. there is no way that will
        work .. I stopped watching.

        Yes, the lower priced wireless setups have lower power (and thus lower
        range) than more expensive units .. but that is not the only "problem" ..
        they can be much more likely to be subject to interference (not to mention
        more likely to be damaged / break under use)

        Richard Amirault
        N1JDU
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • Rupert
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
          I would think most non-professionals would call a Mic input just that
          - a mick input.
          Personally I prefer the sound of "Mick In". I make it a matter on
          principle to call it that.
          But don't get me started on this. Or on people who advertise Open
          Mike nights with posters saying "OPEN MIC"

          Unboxing videos as product demos are the most pointless and
          frustrating things. And they're everywhere. Just show us it
          working. IF it works. Like... um... if you can really run your three
          twin micks into one receiver.

          That said, $120 is pretty good for a videoblogging / consumer entry
          level wireless mick. It won't be professional quality, obviously. As
          long as it works. Probably best to search elsewhere on the web for
          proof of that.

          Rupert
          http://twittervlog.tv