German-speaking videoblog scene + ReRe: Hello & definition of videoblog

  • Kirstin
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hi Jenn, Nice to meet you! As a big fan of Ehrensenf, I'm curious: what
      other videoprogram-type vlogs are popular in Germany? Best, Kirstin
      http://www.digest.tv <http://www.digest.tv>
       http://www.twitter.com/kirstinbutler
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "elaluca11" <mail@...> wrote:

      > Thanks a lot, Jay and Irina!
      >
      > I had checked the first 20 messages from the beginning of this group
      before I signed in. Really interesting, not only because it's already 5
      years old.

      > I agree, from 2005 on the Web-TV-community changes a lot because of
      YouTube. I divide the Web-TV-development in three parts: from 1993 until
      2000 with pseudo.com, DEN and webisodes, 2000 until 2005 and the
      YouTube-era until today.

      > Actually, there are not so many German-speaking vlogs. Most formats
      tend to a genre I call videoprogram (those I am concentrating on), they
      are more a semi-professional produced show or magazine (like
      Rocketboom).
      > One quite famous videoblog of the scene just gave up: She
      (Schnutingers Netrzkabarett) was bashed because of acting in a
      commercial . However, in Germany there are rather videoblogs of
      prominent people than those of average citizens: like Angela Merkel's
      videoblog
      http://www.bundeskanzlerin.de/Webs/BK/De/Mediathek/Videos/videos.html
      (it's stiff and a kind of deadpan but unintentionally funny), the former
      videoblog of a famous show master (the German David Letterman: Harald
      Schmidt) or one blog of a German journalist:
      http://www.spiegel.de/video/video-36686.html.

      > Bye
      > Jenn
      >
      > P.S. Irina, I'll check Geek Entertainment TV out! Thanks for it.
      >

      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Irina irinaski@ wrote:
      > >
      > > hi jennifer
      > >
      > > i am happy to help u as well
      > >
      > > i am not like steve or jay from 2004
      > > but i am from 2005 lol (november, honestly)
      > >
      > > we are still producing it if u can imagine
      > >
      > > still wordpress plus blip.tv
      > >
      > > i have done many shows since then
      > >
      > > and just started a new one for an online newspaper in sf.
      > >
      > > irina slutsky

      > > > so many people sharing thoughts about this topic!
      Steve
      > > > Garfield and Adam Kontras), English- or German-speaking ones?
      > > >
      > > > You should look in the archives of this group, started in 2004.
      > > > Here you will see how we were talking about "videoblogs" back
      then. Plenty
      > > > of debates over the concept, term, and technical implementation.
      This is
      > > > one
      > > > of the frist messages of this group:
      > > >
      > > > (Peter and I) have had long talks about videoblogging and wanted
      to bring

      > > > be
      or moments

      > > > When this group started, there were only a few people who I found
      that were
      > > > consciously posting video to blogs. Like Steve Garfield or Adrian
      Miles in
      > > > Melbourne (http://vogmae.net.au/). Most people before 2004 seem to
      have
      > > > posted video as an experiment as a one-off, were doing live video
      > > > streaming,
      > > > posted video to html pages (not blogs) so weren't easily
      searchable, or
      > > > erased their archives.
      > > >
      > > > Here are some of the early folks in this group as seen from
      Videoblogging
      > > > Week 2004.
      > > > http://www.solitude.dk/archives/vog-week/
      > > >
      > > > In mid 2005, Youtube began....so by 2006 there were tens of
      thousands of
      > > > examples of videoblogs.

      > > > definition is blurred and quite a lot of different Web-TV-genres
      or types
      > > > are subsumed under the concept of videoblog.)
      > > >
      > > > Ill let others jump in here. This is a well-traveled debate in
      this group
      > > > that comes up every 6-8 months or so.
      > > >
      > > > By the way, I dont know many German videobloggers (maybe just
      Joel?
      > > > http://joelart.blogspot.com/). In this group we have plenty of
      folks from
      > > > Europe (see http://www.vlogeurope.com/) but no Germans. What's the
      state
      > > > of
      > > > videoblogging in Germany in your opinion?
      > > >
      > > > Jay
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > > http://ryanishungry.com
      > > > http://jaydedman.com
      > > > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
      > > > 917 371 6790

      > > http://geekentertainment.tv

    • Jenna
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
        Wow! That's a lot of input! Thanks a lot to you, that's great for my research.

        @Jay:

        >Yes, Adrian Miles was one of the first members of the group. We
        >discussed his Vogma Manifesto (http://vogmae.net.au/drupal/vog/tbd),
        >though I dont think he found the most responsive audience to his
        >academic leanings.

        Within my doctorate Adrian's manifesto is going to get quite
        some attention in order to discuss the form, the style, the motivation
        and the content of videoblogs.

        >One way is to see people in the United States as narcissistic. Very
        >very true in many ways. But I like to think that many of us are more
        >open and craving community that was stripped out of US society the
        >past century. It might not always come across in healthy ways, but
        >"open" makes more sense than "narcissistic". Making it up as we go
        >along. Tear down the castles.

        I see, my statement was not written precisely and my sentences can be misunderstand easily even though I think you, Jay, understood me well. My text in clear: I assume that Germans slightly tend to judge a videoblogger as narcissistic (worldwide, not only in the US) Myself, I see videoblogs as a way of self-assurance, freedom of opinion, sometimes journalism and above all communication. And here I am coming back to your point, Jay, that means openness as well.

        One thing:
        >I think a lot of us just starting making stuff instead of figuring out
        >how to define it. But I have a side of me that likes to say "this is
        >this". Both are good at appropriate times.

        Perfect! I agree perfectly! Actually, that's the way I am – let's say – educated. At my university they insist of studying the practise (you can see my productions here: www.JenniferAhl.de – it's in German, but if you go just to the top, then to film you can just pick the first row of thumbnails you see and click on "ansehen" – this film is without speech) and the theory. In short terms: Synergetic effects of that combination. There is no other way for my work, I always consider both sides of film and television even if the main focus lays on one of it.

        Bye – and hope everything is understandable
        Jenna

        > > Thanks a lot for forwarding my email (to Joly - who?) and telling a bit about the early days. It's really helpful for my research because I hadn't been interested in web-videos at that time. Actually, I hadn't known about it before there was a local offer (just a >platform with videos) for the town I lived in.
        >
        > Joly started Punkcast.com and has good stories recording NYC punk
        > shows in audio/video starting in late 90's.
        > Good article about him:
        > http://www.villagevoice.com/2003-10-28/news/bootlegger-s-banquet/1
        >
        > > General, web-tv is not too famous in Germany. Mostly, I have the feeling it's still an American trend (anyway, especially in tech-stuff, Europe is round about 4 years behind the US they say)...
        > > That's a really, really good question for social science or cultural anthropology if and why citizens of some societies are more interested in showing their everyday life…
        > > But on the other hand the mainstream reality tv is quite famous in Germany, even though I think it goes down in some time. (It has been so long the favourite of the tv networks... )
        > > But blogs are different. I think for a society blog and videoblog are a good way for real self-assurance.
        > > Why is it less usual in Germany (assumed it is like that): Maybe blogs are associated with narcissism. Also, we have a more or less strict liability to criticism. So with a Videoblog you are really vulnerable.. Just spontaneous speculation! What do you think?
        >
        > One way is to see people in the United States as narcissistic. Very
        > very true in many ways. But I like to think that many of us are more
        > open and craving community that was stripped out of US society the
        > past century. It might not always come across in healthy ways, but
        > "open" makes more sense than "narcissistic". Making it up as we go
        > along. Tear down the castles.
        >
        > Peter Van Dijck, from Belgian, actually started this group when he
        > lived in NYC. He always told me that Americans were much more "in your
        > face" and he liked it.
        >
        > > Can you tell me if the vogma manifesto was discussed within this group? I haven't found a wide discussion about it. Strange, if I >had been there I would have had the necessity to discuss it in detail. A pity, five years too late ;-D.
        >
        > Yes, Adrian Miles was one of the first members of the group. We
        > discussed his Vogma Manifesto (http://vogmae.net.au/drupal/vog/tbd),
        > though I dont think he found the most responsive audience to his
        > academic leanings. We were (are?) a lot of riff raff. In 2005, Michael
        > Verdi made the Vlog Anarchy manifesto in response here
        > (http://michaelverdi.com/2005/02/20/vlog-anarchy/).
        >
        > I think a lot of us just starting making stuff instead of figuring out
        > how to define it. But I have a side of me that likes to say "this is
        > this". Both are good at appropriate times.
        >
        > There's another group that sprung out of this one that focuses on
> [...]
      • Jenna
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
          Hi Kirstin,

          Ehrensenf is great, I really like it and actually I am going to analyse it within my thesis.
          - Another videoprogram is "Buschka entdeckt Deutschland" (round about 30 minutes one guy walks through German cities without any script): http://www.buschka-entdeckt.de/
          - There is www.rebell.tv but it's from Suisse.
          - Kavka vs. The Web: http://www.myspace.com/kavkavstheweb (Kavka is a German journalist)
          - http://www.robvegas.de/
          - http://www.elektrischer-reporter.de/ (cooperation with a tv network, ZDF)
          - http://www.balconytv.com/hamburg/heutige-show.aspx (music-show on a small balcony in Hamburg)

          ...there are a lot.
          But I can't give you hardly any "real" videoblog apart from prominent people.

          Tell me about your impressions sometime.

          Jenna