$120 Wireless Mic review

  • Caleb Clark
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
      I just discovered the Audio-technica ATR288W, seems almost too good to be
      true for $120...I'm sure the range is low, but I'm only needing 100 ft or
      less for documentation stuff and guest speakers, presenters, etc.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQgc6zEYMo&feature=related

      --
      ~ Caleb Clark
      - Program Director, Marlboro College Graduate School:

    • Pete Prodoehl
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
        I've found "Audio-technica" and "too good to be true" know each other
        quite well...

        I think a "good" (not "great") wireless lav might start around $300 or so.

        Pete

        Caleb Clark wrote:
        > I just discovered the Audio-technica ATR288W, seems almost too good to be
        > true for $120...I'm sure the range is low, but I'm only needing 100 ft or
        > less for documentation stuff and guest speakers, presenters, etc.
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQgc6zEYMo&feature=related

      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
          From: "Caleb Clark"

          >I just discovered the Audio-technica ATR288W, seems almost too good to be
          > true for $120...I'm sure the range is low, but I'm only needing 100 ft or
          > less for documentation stuff and guest speakers, presenters, etc.
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQgc6zEYMo&feature=related

          I started to watch that video .. and the guy presenting has no clue, sorry.
          Aside from not pronouncing "mic" correctly .. he wants run multiple
          transmitters into a single receiver .. sorry .. there is no way that will
          work .. I stopped watching.

          Yes, the lower priced wireless setups have lower power (and thus lower
          range) than more expensive units .. but that is not the only "problem" ..
          they can be much more likely to be subject to interference (not to mention
          more likely to be damaged / break under use)

          Richard Amirault
          N1JDU
          http://bostonfandom.org
        • Rupert
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
            I would think most non-professionals would call a Mic input just that
            - a mick input.
            Personally I prefer the sound of "Mick In". I make it a matter on
            principle to call it that.
            But don't get me started on this. Or on people who advertise Open
            Mike nights with posters saying "OPEN MIC"

            Unboxing videos as product demos are the most pointless and
            frustrating things. And they're everywhere. Just show us it
            working. IF it works. Like... um... if you can really run your three
            twin micks into one receiver.

            That said, $120 is pretty good for a videoblogging / consumer entry
            level wireless mick. It won't be professional quality, obviously. As
            long as it works. Probably best to search elsewhere on the web for
            proof of that.

            Rupert
            http://twittervlog.tv