Re: [videoblogging] The current best budget mic jacked cam?

  • Adam Quirk
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
      David,

      Are you sure it shoots 300fps progressive? I couldn't find that anywhere in
      the specs. That would be very impressive.

      Adam

      On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM, David Jones <david.jones@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:17 AM, David Jones <david.jones@...>
      > wrote:
      > > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Caleb Clark <calebjc@...> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Oh wise list.
      > >>
      > >> I've got $2000 to spend for a university on a documentation kit (photos
      > for
      > >> web site and printed brochures, YouTube channel videos of interviews and
      > >> talks). I'm wishing for a dSLR that has a mic port, so I can buy just
      > one
      > >> camera, but it seems that might be a bit premature. I love Canon's FS200
      > >> type cameras (I actually like the tiny on camera fill LED light), but
      > would
      > >> prefer to stay away from AVCHD and just have a nice .mp4, .mov, or even
      > .avi
      > >> file to work with on Mac or PC basic editing platforms, but that's not
      > >> crucial. I just have the feeling that AVCHD is so temporary...I don't
      > need
      > >> HD practically, but 16x9 I would like. Xacti's come to mind, if they
      > aren't
      > >> too wiggy with their UI and have some audio level control.
      >
      > One other thing I forgot to mention.
      > I was going to get the Canon FS200, but the small sensor size turned
      > me off. It's only got a tiny 1/6" CCD sensor (4.3mm^2), that's
      > basically the smallest on the market.
      > The Xacti on the other hand has a comparatively huge 1/2.5" CMOS
      > sensor (25mm^2).
      > See here:
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format
      >
      > There is also a big difference in the lens. The Xacti has a huge fast
      > F1.8 to F2.5 over a 10x zoom range, but the Canon has an inferior F2.0
      > to F5.2 over a (gimmicky) 37x zoom range. More zoom is NOT good, it
      > just means a smaller sensor size and slower lens for a given zoom
      > level.
      >
      > Those things can make a huge difference in lower light and other image
      > performance issues.
      >
      > So for the same price as the FS200, with the Xacti I got full HD, Hot
      > Shoe, much bigger lens and sensor, and 300fps high speed shooting
      > (useful to me, useless for some).
      >
      > No contest IMO.
      >
      > Dave.

    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
        On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Adam Quirk <quirk@...> wrote:

        > David,
        >
        > Are you sure it shoots 300fps progressive? I couldn't find that anywhere in
        > the specs. That would be very impressive.

        The official specs are here, but it looks like they are incorrect
        (30fps instead of 300fps):
        http://us.sanyo.com/Digital-Camcorders/VPC-HD1010BK-Full-1080p-HD-Video-30fps-and-4MP-Photos

        Try here:
        http://www.testfreaks.com/digital-camcorders/sanyo-xacti-vpc-hd1010/

        My Xacti HD-1010 does indeed do 448 x 336 (300 fps) in "Web-SHR" mode.
        I can record 10 seconds of video at this frame rate.
        See here for some high speed footage I shot:
        http://www.eevblog.com/2009/11/04/eevblog-42-exploding-capacitors-in-high-speed/

        But this is an old model, the new HD2000 model can do 600fps at a smaller size:
        http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/products/vpc_hd2000/spec.html

        Dave.