The current best budget mic jacked cam?

  • Caleb Clark
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2009
      Oh wise list.

      I've got $2000 to spend for a university on a documentation kit (photos for
      web site and printed brochures, YouTube channel videos of interviews and
      talks). I'm wishing for a dSLR that has a mic port, so I can buy just one
      camera, but it seems that might be a bit premature. I love Canon's FS200
      type cameras (I actually like the tiny on camera fill LED light), but would
      prefer to stay away from AVCHD and just have a nice .mp4, .mov, or even .avi
      file to work with on Mac or PC basic editing platforms, but that's not
      crucial. I just have the feeling that AVCHD is so temporary...I don't need
      HD practically, but 16x9 I would like. Xacti's come to mind, if they aren't
      too wiggy with their UI and have some audio level control.

      I guess if no magic dSLR is out there with a mic port, for under 2K with a
      tripod I'll go Canon Vixia with a SD Powershot still...

      Thoughts?

      Thank you.

      --
      ~ Caleb Clark
      - Program Director, Marlboro College Graduate School:

    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2009
        Christian Payne (@documentally) showed me his point and shoot Lumix
        the other day - shoots great looking video.
        The Lumix GH1 compact DSLR is $1500, shoots 720p & 1080p at 60fps &
        24fps and has a Mic jack.
        http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/Product-Review-Panasonic-Lumix-GH1

        On 30-Nov-09, at 5:55 PM, Caleb Clark wrote:

        > Oh wise list.
        >
        > I've got $2000 to spend for a university on a documentation kit
        > (photos for
        > web site and printed brochures, YouTube channel videos of interviews
        > and
        > talks). I'm wishing for a dSLR that has a mic port, so I can buy
        > just one
        > camera, but it seems that might be a bit premature. I love Canon's
        > FS200
        > type cameras (I actually like the tiny on camera fill LED light),
        > but would
        > prefer to stay away from AVCHD and just have a nice .mp4, .mov, or
        > even .avi
        > file to work with on Mac or PC basic editing platforms, but that's not
        > crucial. I just have the feeling that AVCHD is so temporary...I
        > don't need
        > HD practically, but 16x9 I would like. Xacti's come to mind, if they
        > aren't
        > too wiggy with their UI and have some audio level control.
        >
        > I guess if no magic dSLR is out there with a mic port, for under 2K
        > with a
        > tripod I'll go Canon Vixia with a SD Powershot still...
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > --
        > ~ Caleb Clark
        > - Program Director, Marlboro College Graduate School:
        > http://gradcenter.marlboro.edu/academics/mat/faculty
        > - Portfolio: http://www.plocktau.com
        > "The problem with communication is the assumption it has been
        > accomplished."
        > - G. B. Shaw.

      • David Jones
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2009
          On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Caleb Clark <calebjc@...> wrote:

          > Oh wise list.
          >
          > I've got $2000 to spend for a university on a documentation kit (photos for
          > web site and printed brochures, YouTube channel videos of interviews and
          > talks). I'm wishing for a dSLR that has a mic port, so I can buy just one
          > camera, but it seems that might be a bit premature. I love Canon's FS200
          > type cameras (I actually like the tiny on camera fill LED light), but would
          > prefer to stay away from AVCHD and just have a nice .mp4, .mov, or even .avi
          > file to work with on Mac or PC basic editing platforms, but that's not
          > crucial. I just have the feeling that AVCHD is so temporary...I don't need
          > HD practically, but 16x9 I would like. Xacti's come to mind, if they aren't
          > too wiggy with their UI and have some audio level control.

          I got an Xacti HD-1010 that cost me $400 a few months back, The
          HD-2000 is the latest model, that's around $500 I think.
          Very nice cam that gives great results for the money. Yes, it has an
          external mic port and audio input level adjust (course low/mid/high
          type thing).
          No on-screen signal level meter though, but it has a headphone port
          that makes up for that (I don't use it though)
          Hot shoe attachment for external mic is handy.
          Great range of shooting options for size/quality.
          Nice big bright fast lens, I doubt you'll get better quality optics on
          any sub $1000 camcorder.
          The MP4's it outputs load directly into my Ulead VideoStudio package
          no problems.
          The autofocus can be a bit touchy with moving objects.
          The head/face tracking mode works.
          Works well in low light indoors environments.
          Forget all the talk about the UI being crap, it it perfectly fine and
          understandable, works more like a still camera and not like a
          camcorder, that's why people get confused with it. And the joystick
          thing works just fine. It also comes an IR remote that also operates
          the menus. I expect the worst after the reviews, but I've had no
          problems with it at all.

          Forget internal LED lights, they are all but useless, little more than
          a gimmick. If you need external lighting, get good quality external
          lighting and attach to the hot-shoe.

          See my blog for examples:
          http://www.eevblog.com

          Dave.
        • theurbanreporter
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2009
            Dave,

            I tend to lean towards Canon cameras. I own an XL1 and a ZR900, and a couple of Flip cams. No HD yet because I often work with a professional colleague who has a full HD rig (2 cams, lights, mics everything). What kind of videos are you producing? I'm a media professional and have no real complaints about the Canon ZR cameras. I recently taught a digital production class at we ordered 3 ZR900's along with Radio Shack lapel mics and tripods + Home Depot lights. I don't think there's anything wrong with standard def as long as you use lights, and use sound production techniques.

            I just wrote a blog post about affordable cameras. Maybe some of the info will help.

            bit.ly/8Wi8OM

            Cheers!

            Amani Channel
            www.visualeyemedia.com
            www.myurbanreport.com

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, David Jones <david.jones@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Caleb Clark <calebjc@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Oh wise list.
            > >
            > > I've got $2000 to spend for a university on a documentation kit (photos for
            > > web site and printed brochures, YouTube channel videos of interviews and
            > > talks). I'm wishing for a dSLR that has a mic port, so I can buy just one
            > > camera, but it seems that might be a bit premature. I love Canon's FS200
            > > type cameras (I actually like the tiny on camera fill LED light), but would
            > > prefer to stay away from AVCHD and just have a nice .mp4, .mov, or even .avi
            > > file to work with on Mac or PC basic editing platforms, but that's not
            > > crucial. I just have the feeling that AVCHD is so temporary...I don't need
            > > HD practically, but 16x9 I would like. Xacti's come to mind, if they aren't
            > > too wiggy with their UI and have some audio level control.
            >
            > I got an Xacti HD-1010 that cost me $400 a few months back, The
            > HD-2000 is the latest model, that's around $500 I think.
            > Very nice cam that gives great results for the money. Yes, it has an
            > external mic port and audio input level adjust (course low/mid/high
            > type thing).
            > No on-screen signal level meter though, but it has a headphone port
            > that makes up for that (I don't use it though)
            > Hot shoe attachment for external mic is handy.
            > Great range of shooting options for size/quality.
            > Nice big bright fast lens, I doubt you'll get better quality optics on
            > any sub $1000 camcorder.
            > The MP4's it outputs load directly into my Ulead VideoStudio package
            > no problems.
            > The autofocus can be a bit touchy with moving objects.
            > The head/face tracking mode works.
            > Works well in low light indoors environments.
            > Forget all the talk about the UI being crap, it it perfectly fine and
            > understandable, works more like a still camera and not like a
            > camcorder, that's why people get confused with it. And the joystick
            > thing works just fine. It also comes an IR remote that also operates
            > the menus. I expect the worst after the reviews, but I've had no
            > problems with it at all.
            >
            > Forget internal LED lights, they are all but useless, little more than
            > a gimmick. If you need external lighting, get good quality external
            > lighting and attach to the hot-shoe.
            >
            > See my blog for examples:
            > http://www.eevblog.com
            >
            > Dave.

          • David Jones
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2009
              On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:17 AM, David Jones <david.jones@...> wrote:
              > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Caleb Clark <calebjc@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Oh wise list.
              >>
              >> I've got $2000 to spend for a university on a documentation kit (photos for
              >> web site and printed brochures, YouTube channel videos of interviews and
              >> talks). I'm wishing for a dSLR that has a mic port, so I can buy just one
              >> camera, but it seems that might be a bit premature. I love Canon's FS200
              >> type cameras (I actually like the tiny on camera fill LED light), but would
              >> prefer to stay away from AVCHD and just have a nice .mp4, .mov, or even .avi
              >> file to work with on Mac or PC basic editing platforms, but that's not
              >> crucial. I just have the feeling that AVCHD is so temporary...I don't need
              >> HD practically, but 16x9 I would like. Xacti's come to mind, if they aren't
              >> too wiggy with their UI and have some audio level control.

              One other thing I forgot to mention.
              I was going to get the Canon FS200, but the small sensor size turned
              me off. It's only got a tiny 1/6" CCD sensor (4.3mm^2), that's
              basically the smallest on the market.
              The Xacti on the other hand has a comparatively huge 1/2.5" CMOS
              sensor (25mm^2).
              See here:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

              There is also a big difference in the lens. The Xacti has a huge fast
              F1.8 to F2.5 over a 10x zoom range, but the Canon has an inferior F2.0
              to F5.2 over a (gimmicky) 37x zoom range. More zoom is NOT good, it
              just means a smaller sensor size and slower lens for a given zoom
              level.

              Those things can make a huge difference in lower light and other image
              performance issues.

              So for the same price as the FS200, with the Xacti I got full HD, Hot
              Shoe, much bigger lens and sensor, and 300fps high speed shooting
              (useful to me, useless for some).

              No contest IMO.

              Dave.
            • Adam Quirk
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
                David,

                Are you sure it shoots 300fps progressive? I couldn't find that anywhere in
                the specs. That would be very impressive.

                Adam

                On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM, David Jones <david.jones@...> wrote:

                > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:17 AM, David Jones <david.jones@...>
                > wrote:
                > > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Caleb Clark <calebjc@...> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Oh wise list.
                > >>
                > >> I've got $2000 to spend for a university on a documentation kit (photos
                > for
                > >> web site and printed brochures, YouTube channel videos of interviews and
                > >> talks). I'm wishing for a dSLR that has a mic port, so I can buy just
                > one
                > >> camera, but it seems that might be a bit premature. I love Canon's FS200
                > >> type cameras (I actually like the tiny on camera fill LED light), but
                > would
                > >> prefer to stay away from AVCHD and just have a nice .mp4, .mov, or even
                > .avi
                > >> file to work with on Mac or PC basic editing platforms, but that's not
                > >> crucial. I just have the feeling that AVCHD is so temporary...I don't
                > need
                > >> HD practically, but 16x9 I would like. Xacti's come to mind, if they
                > aren't
                > >> too wiggy with their UI and have some audio level control.
                >
                > One other thing I forgot to mention.
                > I was going to get the Canon FS200, but the small sensor size turned
                > me off. It's only got a tiny 1/6" CCD sensor (4.3mm^2), that's
                > basically the smallest on the market.
                > The Xacti on the other hand has a comparatively huge 1/2.5" CMOS
                > sensor (25mm^2).
                > See here:
                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format
                >
                > There is also a big difference in the lens. The Xacti has a huge fast
                > F1.8 to F2.5 over a 10x zoom range, but the Canon has an inferior F2.0
                > to F5.2 over a (gimmicky) 37x zoom range. More zoom is NOT good, it
                > just means a smaller sensor size and slower lens for a given zoom
                > level.
                >
                > Those things can make a huge difference in lower light and other image
                > performance issues.
                >
                > So for the same price as the FS200, with the Xacti I got full HD, Hot
                > Shoe, much bigger lens and sensor, and 300fps high speed shooting
                > (useful to me, useless for some).
                >
                > No contest IMO.
                >
                > Dave.

              • David Jones
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
                  On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Adam Quirk <quirk@...> wrote:

                  > David,
                  >
                  > Are you sure it shoots 300fps progressive? I couldn't find that anywhere in
                  > the specs. That would be very impressive.

                  The official specs are here, but it looks like they are incorrect
                  (30fps instead of 300fps):
                  http://us.sanyo.com/Digital-Camcorders/VPC-HD1010BK-Full-1080p-HD-Video-30fps-and-4MP-Photos

                  Try here:
                  http://www.testfreaks.com/digital-camcorders/sanyo-xacti-vpc-hd1010/

                  My Xacti HD-1010 does indeed do 448 x 336 (300 fps) in "Web-SHR" mode.
                  I can record 10 seconds of video at this frame rate.
                  See here for some high speed footage I shot:
                  http://www.eevblog.com/2009/11/04/eevblog-42-exploding-capacitors-in-high-speed/

                  But this is an old model, the new HD2000 model can do 600fps at a smaller size:
                  http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/products/vpc_hd2000/spec.html

                  Dave.