Re: [videoblogging] getting better quality out of Blip.TV

  • Michael Verdi
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2009
      The great thing about blip is that they will serve up the original
      file that you upload, so you get to determine the quality. Now the
      trick is to get that file to show up in the flash player. What you
      have to do to make that happen is to make the file that you upload a
      really good quality h.264 file and then configure a custom blip player
      to use your h.264 file.

      - Verdi

      On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
      >> I've been using Blip.TV for quite some time for nearly all of my video blog
      >> posts and other video projects, for both work and fun. I love the service
      >> and the features, but have started to become a little disappointed with the
      >> final flash video after conversion. If you upload the same video to Blip,
      >> Vimeo, YouTube, and Facebook, the Blip version that is converted seems to be
      >> the worst in the bunch. I'm generally only uploading SD video, if that
      >> makes any difference. I don't plan on moving away from Blip any time soon,
      >> as the other features (playlists, cross posting, customized player, custom
      >> thumnails, etc) are the reasons I stay with Blip. However, I was wondering
      >> if any of you have any suggestions for getting better quality out of the
      >> Blip video player. Are there tricks I can employ on my end to make my file
      >> more friendly to conversion? I'm a low budget windows user, so typically my
      >> files are WMV (Flip video SD) or Mov (Canon SD 780 IS), and I occasionally
      >> still shoot video with and older Canon MiniDV (edit in moviemaker and output
      >> as WMV). Is there a file type or size that Blip may like better for better
      >> quality conversion to flash? The other three seem to take WMVs just fine
      >> and crunch them well, but perhaps there's something better I should be
      >> looking at when uploading to Blip.
      >
      > I'd love to hear some folks chime in as well.
      > Chad, do you have a video that youve uploaded to several different sites?
      > It would help to actually see how each site has Flash converted the same video.
      >
      > A big thing is blip's favor is that they host the original video you
      > upload. We convert our own Flash video and just upload that so we can
      > be assured of the quality.

      > http://ryanishungry.com
      > http://jaydedman.com
      > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
      > 917 371 6790

      Michael Verdi
      http://michaelverdi.com
      http://talkbot.tv
    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2009
        If you upload as iPod compatible H264 M4V files (.M4V is Apple's
        extension for iPod compatible MP4 files), you can customise your Blip
        Show Player to show them in their original form. However, even so,
        I've been noticing a deterioration in quality and colour recently, and
        I'm not sure why that is.

        Blip's flash conversion has always been a bit grey and pixelly - as
        Jay says, you can always just upload your own flv file - converted
        using MPEGStreamclip or your editing software.

        There was a point when people loved Blip because they had the best
        quality and best feature set, back when YouTube's quality was
        appalling. They seem to be losing that advantage now. I heard
        someone I didn't know really complaining about their reliability at an
        event last week.

        Add to that the uncertainty about what's acceptable under their T&Cs
        as discussed here before.
        It must be a very expensive & competitive business, and seems they're
        defining a different niche for themselves: a home for Web TV serials,
        rather than home movies.

        In my experience, Vimeo has very good quality - but as Jay said, Blip
        allows you to link to the original file for podcasting. A solution
        I've been using recently is uploading to Vimeo and Blip at the same
        time using Pixelpipe, then embedding the Vimeo player and linking to
        the file on Blip for podcasting/iTunes.

        Rupert
        http://twittervlog.tv

        On 30-Nov-09, at 2:53 PM, Chad Boeninger wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I've been using Blip.TV for quite some time for nearly all of my
        > video blog
        > posts and other video projects, for both work and fun. I love the
        > service
        > and the features, but have started to become a little disappointed
        > with the
        > final flash video after conversion. If you upload the same video to
        > Blip,
        > Vimeo, YouTube, and Facebook, the Blip version that is converted
        > seems to be
        > the worst in the bunch. I'm generally only uploading SD video, if that
        > makes any difference. I don't plan on moving away from Blip any time
        > soon,
        > as the other features (playlists, cross posting, customized player,
        > custom
        > thumnails, etc) are the reasons I stay with Blip. However, I was
        > wondering
        > if any of you have any suggestions for getting better quality out of
        > the
        > Blip video player. Are there tricks I can employ on my end to make
        > my file
        > more friendly to conversion? I'm a low budget windows user, so
        > typically my
        > files are WMV (Flip video SD) or Mov (Canon SD 780 IS), and I
        > occasionally
        > still shoot video with and older Canon MiniDV (edit in moviemaker
        > and output
        > as WMV). Is there a file type or size that Blip may like better for
        > better
        > quality conversion to flash? The other three seem to take WMVs just
        > fine
        > and crunch them well, but perhaps there's something better I should be
        > looking at when uploading to Blip.

        > --Chad
        >
        > --
        > Chad F. Boeninger
        > libraryvoice.com - blog
        > libraryvoice.com/videos - videoblog
        > twitter.com/cfboeninger

      • Chad Boeninger
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2009
          Hi Jay,
          Thanks for the quick reply. Here's a video I shot last summer while on a 50
          mile bike ride. I shot it with my Flip Mino SD, so granted some of the
          handheld on bike action is a little herky-jerky. I've posted all the videos
          from all the services I have accounts with at
          http://libraryvoice.com/technology/facebook-video-is-actually-pretty-good ,
          so you should be able to get a decent comparison of the video formats
          there. All I did for the videos was stitch them with FlipShare, and then
          render them as 640x480 WMV (the only choice). All services received the
          same file for conversion.

          On a different note, I do make my own FLV for screencasts and then upload
          that to Blip. I generally record my screen with Camstudio and then convert
          the AVI file to FLV with a program called Quick Media Converter (it's
          free). I only use the Easy conversion settings on the program, and my eyes
          think the result is slightly better than the flash conversion at Blip. Quick
          Media Converter (http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/) has some advance settings
          as well (two pass encoding, bit rate, etc) but I haven't gotten around to
          messing with those settings. Perhaps that could be a way to make a better
          flash file and then upload to Blip.

          Thanks,
          Chad

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2009
            Rupert and Michael,
            Thank you as well for your answers. It seems your messages came in as I was
            composing my response.

            I too, am a little concerned about Blip's terms of service. I have two
            accounts there, one for video blogging and work, the other for family
            videos. Neither of which meets their criteria for a show, so I really don't
            know where I fit. Recently I had trouble with a video, and they re-encoded
            it for me. In the two instances that I needed to contact them, Blip reps
            have been really helpful.

            My videos definitely are not works of art, typically me just goofing off or
            videos of the kids. Most of my viewers would just watch the videos on my
            blogs, so the podcasting file is not really necessary. I'd just like to
            make sure that the grandparents get the least fuzzy quality views of my kids
            with the least amount of effort. Of course, no one is complaining really
            about the quality. I guess the more videos I watch and the better I get
            with this hobby, my tastes have become a little more discriminating. I'm
            going to give MPEG Steamclip a whirl to see how that works out.

            I've been very pleased with the quality of Vimeo's videos, and I have toyed
            with the idea of paying for the Plus service. I could in essence host all my
            videos there, and make the ones of the family "invisible" on Vimeo so that
            they can only be viewed on my blog. The other videos can just show up as
            normal on Vimeo. However, the thought of migrating content over is not
            appealing in the least.

            --Chad

            --
            Chad F. Boeninger
            libraryvoice.com - blog
            libraryvoice.com/videos - videoblog
            twitter.com/cfboeninger

          • Lan Bui
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2009
              One of the best ways of controlling quality on Blip.tv is to upload your own flash file. We do this all the time because we prefer our files to look a certain way so we just encode them ourselves.

              The highest we usually encode at is 1200kbps in flash, because on slower computers it doesn't play that smoothly when you go higher.

              -Lan
              www.thebuibrothers.com
              www.noodlescar.com
              www.lanbui.com
            • Rupert
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2009
                Did I see on Twitter that you were also using that other video sharing
                site - that subscription one for pro videographers? Was trying to
                remember its name for the guy who was ranting about Blip the other day.

                On 30-Nov-09, at 7:08 PM, Lan Bui wrote:

                > One of the best ways of controlling quality on Blip.tv is to upload
                > your own flash file. We do this all the time because we prefer our
                > files to look a certain way so we just encode them ourselves.
                >
                > The highest we usually encode at is 1200kbps in flash, because on
                > slower computers it doesn't play that smoothly when you go higher.
                >
                > -Lan
                > www.thebuibrothers.com
                > www.noodlescar.com
                > www.lanbui.com

              • theurbanreporter
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 30, 2009
                  I've been using Blip for about three years, and I have no complaints. How are you compressing your video? I've always thought that Blip is in the top tier of video communities.

                  I will say that YouTube is now a contender. The quality is impressive.

                  Best,

                  Amani Channel
                  www.myurbanreport.com

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Chad Boeninger <cfboeninger@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  > I've been using Blip.TV for quite some time for nearly all of my video blog
                  > posts and other video projects, for both work and fun. I love the service
                  > and the features, but have started to become a little disappointed with the
                  > final flash video after conversion. If you upload the same video to Blip,
                  > Vimeo, YouTube, and Facebook, the Blip version that is converted seems to be
                  > the worst in the bunch. I'm generally only uploading SD video, if that
                  > makes any difference. I don't plan on moving away from Blip any time soon,
                  > as the other features (playlists, cross posting, customized player, custom
                  > thumnails, etc) are the reasons I stay with Blip. However, I was wondering
                  > if any of you have any suggestions for getting better quality out of the
                  > Blip video player. Are there tricks I can employ on my end to make my file
                  > more friendly to conversion? I'm a low budget windows user, so typically my
                  > files are WMV (Flip video SD) or Mov (Canon SD 780 IS), and I occasionally
                  > still shoot video with and older Canon MiniDV (edit in moviemaker and output
                  > as WMV). Is there a file type or size that Blip may like better for better
                  > quality conversion to flash? The other three seem to take WMVs just fine
                  > and crunch them well, but perhaps there's something better I should be
                  > looking at when uploading to Blip.

                  > --Chad
                  >
                  > --
                  > Chad F. Boeninger
                  > libraryvoice.com - blog
                  > libraryvoice.com/videos - videoblog
                  > twitter.com/cfboeninger

                • Bohuš
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
                    Chad Boeninger wrote:
                    > Hi all,
                    > I've been using Blip.TV for quite some time for nearly all of my video blog
                    > posts and other video projects, for both work and fun. I love the service
                    > and the features, but have started to become a little disappointed with the
                    > final flash video after conversion. If you upload the same video to Blip,
                    > Vimeo, YouTube, and Facebook, the Blip version that is converted seems to be
                    > the worst in the bunch. I'm generally only uploading SD video, if that
                    > makes any difference. I don't plan on moving away from Blip any time soon,
                    > as the other features (playlists, cross posting, customized player, custom
                    > thumnails, etc) are the reasons I stay with Blip. However, I was wondering
                    > if any of you have any suggestions for getting better quality out of the
                    > Blip video player. Are there tricks I can employ on my end to make my file
                    > more friendly to conversion? I'm a low budget windows user, so typically my
                    > files are WMV (Flip video SD) or Mov (Canon SD 780 IS), and I occasionally
                    > still shoot video with and older Canon MiniDV (edit in moviemaker and output
                    > as WMV). Is there a file type or size that Blip may like better for better
                    > quality conversion to flash? The other three seem to take WMVs just fine
                    > and crunch them well, but perhaps there's something better I should be
                    > looking at when uploading to Blip.

                    > --Chad

                    Bohus Blahut
                    (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                    modern filmmaker
                  • Bohuš
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
                      Rupert wrote:
> [...]
                      >> if any of you have any suggestions for getting better quality out of
                      >> the
                      >> Blip video player. Are there tricks I can employ on my end to make
                      >> my file
                      >> more friendly to conversion? I'm a low budget windows user, so
                      >> typically my
                      >> files are WMV (Flip video SD) or Mov (Canon SD 780 IS), and I
                      >> occasionally
                      >> still shoot video with and older Canon MiniDV (edit in moviemaker
                      >> and output
                      >> as WMV). Is there a file type or size that Blip may like better for
                      >> better
                      >> quality conversion to flash? The other three seem to take WMVs just
                      >> fine
                      >> and crunch them well, but perhaps there's something better I should be
                      >> looking at when uploading to Blip.
                      >>
                      >> Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

                      Bohus Blahut
                      (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                      modern filmmaker