Re: [videoblogging] Slow HD editing

  • David Jones
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 3, 2009
      On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Rupert <rupert@...> wrote:

      > Before you make any more drastic decisions about buying new hardware,
      > I recommend you download the trial version of Sony Vegas and see how
      > that copes. I don't think that much of Corel software generally -
      > whereas Vegas is a more respected piece of software, and thus might be
      > better at handling your clips.
      > Alternatively, can't you just shoot in SD? Or transcode your clips to
      > SD using MPEGStreamclip?

      I'm using Streamclip right now to convert my MPEG2 output to MP4.
      After the install hassles (I had to uninstall Quicktime and install a
      special version), it's only 18% complete after 10 minutes, so looks
      like it's going to take 50 minutes to convert my final video, crazy!

      I'll give Vegas demo a try.

      > I don't want to sound like a stuck record,
      > but is there any good reason you need to publish your videos in HD?

      No, not much reason really.
      But like I said, Youtube now supports and recommends 1280x720, and my
      new cam supports it easily, so seems a shame not to use the highest
      quality available, if anything for the sake of posterity.

      Dave.
    • Rupert
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 12, 2009
        This is the way we used to work on AVID. Then we had a blissful 10
        year interim period with FCP SD editing where you got to cut the
        actual clips at original resolution, even if you were doing an online
        afterwards. Guess it'll take a while again before the processing
        power catches up with the raw hi-res video files generated by top-end
        cameras. Then just as we all start cutting those files at original
        resolution in real time, everything will switch to 3D IMAX :)