Re: [videoblogging] Keeping tapes

  • Pete Prodoehl
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 5, 2009
      I put my 20+ year old box of audio cassettes to good use...

      And you can see some of the results here:

      http://www.mkepunk.com/

      I consider myself an "archivist" and "documentarian" which are fancy
      words for "packrat" and "guy who doesn't throw things away... ever!"

      Sometimes you can only see the value of things later. Sometimes much later.

      Pete

      Adam Quirk wrote:
      > I'm in the middle of a move, and came across the box of mini-DV tapes I've
      > accumulated over the years. I'm seriously considering chucking it all.
      > Will I, or anyone, really ever want to watch two-hundred hours of random
      > clips from my life and work?
      >
      > There's a part of me that wants to keep everything, every second that I
      > shot. But there's another part of me that knows I already cut and uploaded
      > and shared the best parts of these tapes.
      >
      > I'm not really sure what I'm asking here, but you guys would probably have
      > the best insight into this sort of thing.
      >
      > AQ

    • Frank Carver
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
        2009/10/5 Pete Prodoehl <raster@...>
        > I put my 20+ year old box of audio cassettes to good use...
        > And you can see some of the results here:
        > http://www.mkepunk.com/

        That's really cool, Pete. Any idea on license terms for these MP3s, though?

        By implication they are free to listen, but is it OK to use them in
        derived works? Or commercial projects? Do you (or the original
        artists) want attribution? etc.

        Thanks,
        Frank.
      • Joly MacFie
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
          That's a really nice site Pete, beautifully put together!

          I myself just moved my studio and turned up a bunch of tapes from when
          I ran shoutcast streams around the turn of the century, I've been
          steadily podcasting them at

          http://wwwhatsup.com/streamola/

          after which they hit the dumper!

          joly

          On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Pete Prodoehl <raster@...> wrote:

          > I put my 20+ year old box of audio cassettes to good use...
          >
          > And you can see some of the results here:
          >
          >  http://www.mkepunk.com/
          >
          > I consider myself an "archivist" and "documentarian" which are fancy
          > words for "packrat" and "guy who doesn't throw things away... ever!"
          >
          > Sometimes you can only see the value of things later. Sometimes much later.
          >

          > Pete

          Joly MacFie 917 442 8665 Skype:punkcast
          WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
        • trine bjørkmann berry
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
            adam,
            someone like me will LOVE the fact you kept them.

            maybe, in 80 years time, when i finally get around to finishing my phd, I'll
            ask you for them. it'll be a historical project worth doing i think :)

            trine

            On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

            > That's a really nice site Pete, beautifully put together!
            >
            > I myself just moved my studio and turned up a bunch of tapes from when
            > I ran shoutcast streams around the turn of the century, I've been
            > steadily podcasting them at
            >
            > http://wwwhatsup.com/streamola/
            >
            > after which they hit the dumper!
            >
            > joly
            >

            > On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Pete Prodoehl <raster@...<raster%40gmail.com>>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I put my 20+ year old box of audio cassettes to good use...
            > >
            > > And you can see some of the results here:
            > >
            > > http://www.mkepunk.com/
            > >
            > > I consider myself an "archivist" and "documentarian" which are fancy
            > > words for "packrat" and "guy who doesn't throw things away... ever!"
            > >
            > > Sometimes you can only see the value of things later. Sometimes much
            > later.
            > >

            > > Pete

            > Joly MacFie 917 442 8665 Skype:punkcast
            > WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com

          • John Coffey
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
              So glad that I still have all my home movies on VHS that I started shootin in 1983. Still look good moving them to DV now.

              JC

              Adam Quirk wrote:

              > I'm in the middle of a move, and came across the box of mini-DV tapes I've

              > accumulated over the years. I'm seriously considering chucking it all.

              > Will I, or anyone, really ever want to watch two-hundred hours of random

              > clips from my life and work?

              > There's a part of me that wants to keep everything, every second that I

              > shot. But there's another part of me that knows I already cut and uploaded

              > and shared the best parts of these tapes.

              > I'm not really sure what I'm asking here, but you guys would probably have

              > the best insight into this sort of thing.

              > AQ

            • Rupert Howe
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
                Since you're too modest to post a link to your own videos, I will!

                Here's the 1980s category from jchtv.com, for those in the mood for
                some VHS nostalgia
                http://www.jchtv.com/?cat=292

                On 6-Oct-09, at 1:29 PM, John Coffey wrote:

                > So glad that I still have all my home movies on VHS that I started
                > shootin in 1983. Still look good moving them to DV now.
                >
                > JC

              • choco scamter
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
                  I still have tapes from my Public Access TV days back in Hawaii from the mid 90's. Am surprised how handsome I was then!

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
                    > I still have tapes from my Public Access TV days back in Hawaii from the mid 90's. Am surprised how handsome I was then!

                    Perfect example for digitizing and archiving on a blog.

                    http://ryanishungry.com
                    http://jaydedman.com
                    http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                    917 371 6790
                  • Pete Prodoehl
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
                      A few years back I tried really hard to get all the old bands I could
                      find to release their work under an open license, Creative Commons, etc.
                      but most of the people didn't understand that. So now I'm mostly feeding
                      files to another guy, who is locating band members (Facebook is useful
                      for this) to get permission. In many cases band give permission because
                      they don't even have digital copies!

                      The guy who hosts the site is ready and willing to pull down any files
                      if an old band member decides he doesn't want the stuff published.
                      Luckily, we're all pretty much a bunch of friends and cohorts who lost
                      touch with each other, so we're hoping it won't be an issue. Anything
                      I've been involved with I get permission from others to apply a proper
                      license.

                      Pete

                      Frank Carver wrote:
                      > 2009/10/5 Pete Prodoehl <raster@...>
                      >
                      >> I put my 20+ year old box of audio cassettes to good use...
                      >> And you can see some of the results here:
                      >> http://www.mkepunk.com/
                      >>

                      > That's really cool, Pete. Any idea on license terms for these MP3s, though?
                      >
                      > By implication they are free to listen, but is it OK to use them in
                      > derived works? Or commercial projects? Do you (or the original
                      > artists) want attribution? etc.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Frank.

                    • John Coffey
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 15, 2009
                        Thanks for the plug Rupert, seems ironic that this is one of the posts that ended up in my spam folder. I check it once a week and always find a handful of videobloggerss.
                        JC
                        Since you're too modest to post a link to your own videos, I will!

                        Here's the 1980s category from jchtv.com, for those in the mood for

                        some VHS nostalgia

                        http://www.jchtv com/?cat= 292

                        On 6-Oct-09, at 1:29 PM, John Coffey wrote:

                        > So glad that I still have all my home movies on VHS that I started

                        > shootin in 1983. Still look good moving them to DV now.

                        > JC

                        > --- On Mon, 10/5/09, Pete Prodoehl <raster@gmail. com> wrote:

                        > From: Pete Prodoehl <raster@gmail. com>

                        > Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Keeping tapes

                        > To: videoblogging@ yahoogroups. com

                        > Date: Monday, October 5, 2009, 12:01 PM

                        > I put my 20+ year old box of audio cassettes to good use...

                        > And you can see some of the results here:

                        > http://www.mkepunk com/

                        > I consider myself an "archivist" and "documentarian" which are fancy

                        > words for "packrat" and "guy who doesn't throw things away... ever!"

                        > Sometimes you can only see the value of things later. Sometimes much

                        > later.

                        > Pete

                        > Adam Quirk wrote:

                        > > I'm in the middle of a move, and came across the box of mini-DV

                        > tapes I've

                        > > accumulated over the years. I'm seriously considering chucking it

                        > all.

                        > > Will I, or anyone, really ever want to watch two-hundred hours of

                        > random

                        > > clips from my life and work?

                        > > There's a part of me that wants to keep everything, every second

                        > that I

                        > > shot. But there's another part of me that knows I already cut and

                        > uploaded

                        > > and shared the best parts of these tapes.

                        > > I'm not really sure what I'm asking here, but you guys would

                        > probably have

                        > > the best insight into this sort of thing.

                        > > AQ

                      • scott stead
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 15, 2009
                          Yeah! Thanks Rupert for posting the link JC's 80's vids. I had only seen one
                          or two of them so far - and don't visit enough! I love these. I wonder how
                          many folks have drawers of this stuff sitting around. I think it's
                          interesting - and John I'm glad you decided to revive them.

                          Ahhh glorious VHS 80's awesome-ocity.

                          --
                          Scott Stead
                          www.scottstead.com