Wordpress Assistance

  • mgmoon
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2009
      I have a wee Wordpress challenge I'm trying to get my head around.

      In Admin, under Reading I can tell WordPress how many posts I want to show on the Front page. This option applies to all the pages... ie, search results, tag lookups etc.
      Originally I had it set to 10 posts per page. This works out great for all the search results, but I only want _one_ article on the index page.

      I did see there was a plugin to do this... but it was sorta shady, so I passed.
      I'm thinking there must be a way to accomplish this.

      Thanks,

      Mike
      http://vlog.mikemoon.net
    • cherylcolan
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2009
        On the RyanisHungry.com site, we did this with a plugin called "Custom Query String." It's one of those where the original developer stopped supporting it and it seems to have been passed around a few times with different developers taking up the torch. The latest version of it I could find is called "Custom Query String Reloaded" and it's here:
        http://moshublog.com/2007/10/30/custom-query-string-reloaded-for-wordpress-23-with-tag-support/

        It looks like the original CQS stopped working with WP 2.3 when WordPress added tag support in addition to categories. CQS Reloaded was updated to work with/support WordPress tags.

        So, I haven't tried it, but the old CQS did *exactly* what we were after, no more, no less. So you might try the updated version.

        Cheryl Colan

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "mgmoon" <mgmoon@...> wrote:

        > I have a wee Wordpress challenge I'm trying to get my head around.
        >
        > In Admin, under Reading I can tell WordPress how many posts I want to show on the Front page. This option applies to all the pages... ie, search results, tag lookups etc.
        > Originally I had it set to 10 posts per page. This works out great for all the search results, but I only want _one_ article on the index page.
        >
        > I did see there was a plugin to do this... but it was sorta shady, so I passed.
        > I'm thinking there must be a way to accomplish this.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Mike
        > http://vlog.mikemoon.net

      • mgmoon
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2009
          Cheryl, you rock. That's exactly what I was looking for.
          Works like a charm under WP 2.8.4

          Mike
          http://vlog.mikemoon.net