Re: [videoblogging] imac as an electronic kiosk

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
      > I'm looking for a product that may or may not exist.
      > Basically I want to turn my iMac into an "electronic kiosk." I looking for "kiosk software" that plays or displays specific files on my Mac, at random. My goal is to select 25 video files (.mov), 400 still photos (.jpg) and 50 music files (,mp3) and let the software randomly display or play each file....no user input required.
      > Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I suppose there are scripting tools that might allow me to do it myself, but I'm looking for a software app that makes it easy.

      This isnt really what you want, but I ran across this guy over the summer:
      http://www.perpetualartmachine.com/content/view/46/53/lang,en/
      It's a system to let people submit videos that would then play
      publicly. I believe its open source using Joomla.

      http://ryanishungry.com
      http://jaydedman.com
      http://twitter.com/jaydedman
      917 371 6790
    • Markus Sandy
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
        On Oct 2, 2009, at 5:52 PM, adammercado@... wrote:

        > I suppose you could do the same using web technology - HTML, CSS
        > etc but you then have to worry about rendering it all in a browser

        it's a kiosk

        flash compatibility is not an issue

        can use any browser you like

        no inputs. no need for kbd or mouse

        I worked with one years & years ago for use in fitness centers

        just an old IBM PS2 (remember those?)

        all done in IE4 and HTML

        in a big kiosk style box

        later we added touch screens for choices

        markus
        http://apperceive.net

      • Markus Sandy
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
          On Oct 2, 2009, at 5:51 PM, Markus Sandy wrote:

          > Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I suppose there are scripting
          > > tools that might allow me to do it myself, but I'm looking for a
          > > software app that makes it easy.

          one more link for firefox

          http://blogs.sun.com/ThinkThin/entry/kiosk_mode_browser

          markus
          http://videocampsf.com

        • sull
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
            I tried this once on a thin client machine that i have....

            http://webconverger.com

            Might be worth a shot.

            Also have used this product:
            http://www.screentime.com