Re: [videoblogging] imac as an electronic kiosk

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
      > I'm looking for a product that may or may not exist.
      > Basically I want to turn my iMac into an "electronic kiosk." I looking for "kiosk software" that plays or displays specific files on my Mac, at random. My goal is to select 25 video files (.mov), 400 still photos (.jpg) and 50 music files (,mp3) and let the software randomly display or play each file....no user input required.
      > Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I suppose there are scripting tools that might allow me to do it myself, but I'm looking for a software app that makes it easy.

      This isnt really what you want, but I ran across this guy over the summer:
      http://www.perpetualartmachine.com/content/view/46/53/lang,en/
      It's a system to let people submit videos that would then play
      publicly. I believe its open source using Joomla.

      http://ryanishungry.com
      http://jaydedman.com
      http://twitter.com/jaydedman
      917 371 6790
    • Markus Sandy
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
        On Oct 2, 2009, at 5:31 PM, quietleader wrote:

        > Basically I want to turn my iMac into an "electronic kiosk." I
        > looking for "kiosk software" that plays or displays specific files
        > on my Mac, at random. My goal is to select 25 video files (.mov),
        > 400 still photos (.jpg) and 50 music files (,mp3) and let the
        > software randomly display or play each file....no user input required.
        >
        > Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I suppose there are scripting
        > tools that might allow me to do it myself, but I'm looking for a
        > software app that makes it easy.

        hi,

        some browsers have a kiosk mode

        if not hooked to the net, you could access local files

        http://www.opera.com/support/mastering/kiosk/

        markus
        http://twitter.com/apperceptions

      • Markus Sandy
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
          On Oct 2, 2009, at 5:52 PM, adammercado@... wrote:

          > I suppose you could do the same using web technology - HTML, CSS
          > etc but you then have to worry about rendering it all in a browser

          it's a kiosk

          flash compatibility is not an issue

          can use any browser you like

          no inputs. no need for kbd or mouse

          I worked with one years & years ago for use in fitness centers

          just an old IBM PS2 (remember those?)

          all done in IE4 and HTML

          in a big kiosk style box

          later we added touch screens for choices

          markus
          http://apperceive.net

        • Markus Sandy
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
            On Oct 2, 2009, at 5:51 PM, Markus Sandy wrote:

            > Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I suppose there are scripting
            > > tools that might allow me to do it myself, but I'm looking for a
            > > software app that makes it easy.

            one more link for firefox

            http://blogs.sun.com/ThinkThin/entry/kiosk_mode_browser

            markus
            http://videocampsf.com

          • sull
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
              I tried this once on a thin client machine that i have....

              http://webconverger.com

              Might be worth a shot.

              Also have used this product:
              http://www.screentime.com