imac as an electronic kiosk

  • quietleader
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
      greetings everyone!

      I'm looking for a product that may or may not exist.

      Basically I want to turn my iMac into an "electronic kiosk." I looking for "kiosk software" that plays or displays specific files on my Mac, at random. My goal is to select 25 video files (.mov), 400 still photos (.jpg) and 50 music files (,mp3) and let the software randomly display or play each file....no user input required.

      Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I suppose there are scripting tools that might allow me to do it myself, but I'm looking for a software app that makes it easy.

      I appreciate your comments and suggestions

      -Warren
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
        > I'm looking for a product that may or may not exist.
        > Basically I want to turn my iMac into an "electronic kiosk." I looking for "kiosk software" that plays or displays specific files on my Mac, at random. My goal is to select 25 video files (.mov), 400 still photos (.jpg) and 50 music files (,mp3) and let the software randomly display or play each file....no user input required.
        > Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I suppose there are scripting tools that might allow me to do it myself, but I'm looking for a software app that makes it easy.

        This isnt really what you want, but I ran across this guy over the summer:
        http://www.perpetualartmachine.com/content/view/46/53/lang,en/
        It's a system to let people submit videos that would then play
        publicly. I believe its open source using Joomla.

        http://ryanishungry.com
        http://jaydedman.com
        http://twitter.com/jaydedman
        917 371 6790
      • Markus Sandy
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
          On Oct 2, 2009, at 5:31 PM, quietleader wrote:

          > Basically I want to turn my iMac into an "electronic kiosk." I
          > looking for "kiosk software" that plays or displays specific files
          > on my Mac, at random. My goal is to select 25 video files (.mov),
          > 400 still photos (.jpg) and 50 music files (,mp3) and let the
          > software randomly display or play each file....no user input required.
          >
          > Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I suppose there are scripting
          > tools that might allow me to do it myself, but I'm looking for a
          > software app that makes it easy.

          hi,

          some browsers have a kiosk mode

          if not hooked to the net, you could access local files

          http://www.opera.com/support/mastering/kiosk/

          markus
          http://twitter.com/apperceptions

        • adammercado@att.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
            Hi Warren,

            What you need is a custom application built in Flash or Director. I suppose you could do the same using web technology - HTML, CSS etc but you then have to worry about rendering it all in a browser, not the most reliable method, nor the prettiest.

            I've made dozens of this kind of presentation for all kinds of trade shows, almost always in Flash. I haven't seen or heard of an 'out of the box' app that does just this, but I suppose its not inconceivable.

            -adam

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "quietleader" <warren@...> wrote:

            > greetings everyone!
            >
            > I'm looking for a product that may or may not exist.
            >
            > Basically I want to turn my iMac into an "electronic kiosk." I looking for "kiosk software" that plays or displays specific files on my Mac, at random. My goal is to select 25 video files (.mov), 400 still photos (.jpg) and 50 music files (,mp3) and let the software randomly display or play each file....no user input required.
            >
            > Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I suppose there are scripting tools that might allow me to do it myself, but I'm looking for a software app that makes it easy.
            >
            > I appreciate your comments and suggestions
            >
            > -Warren

          • Markus Sandy
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
              On Oct 2, 2009, at 5:52 PM, adammercado@... wrote:

              > I suppose you could do the same using web technology - HTML, CSS
              > etc but you then have to worry about rendering it all in a browser

              it's a kiosk

              flash compatibility is not an issue

              can use any browser you like

              no inputs. no need for kbd or mouse

              I worked with one years & years ago for use in fitness centers

              just an old IBM PS2 (remember those?)

              all done in IE4 and HTML

              in a big kiosk style box

              later we added touch screens for choices

              markus
              http://apperceive.net

            • Markus Sandy
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
                On Oct 2, 2009, at 5:51 PM, Markus Sandy wrote:

                > Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I suppose there are scripting
                > > tools that might allow me to do it myself, but I'm looking for a
                > > software app that makes it easy.

                one more link for firefox

                http://blogs.sun.com/ThinkThin/entry/kiosk_mode_browser

                markus
                http://videocampsf.com

              • sull
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
                  I tried this once on a thin client machine that i have....

                  http://webconverger.com

                  Might be worth a shot.

                  Also have used this product:
                  http://www.screentime.com