Re: [videoblogging] Google Wave & the state of the net in general

  • Rupert Howe
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
      Steve,

      On 1-Oct-09, at 5:19 PM, elbowsofdeath wrote:
      What significant developments have happened on the web in recent
      years, especially pertaining to vlogging?
      How have the video hosting services evolved, or have they just been
      treading water and trying to survive in recent times?
      Are there any interesting projects that people are throwing themselves
      into?

      Check out the Artists in the Cloud group:
      http://groups.google.com/group/artists-in-the-cloud/
      where people are discussing this stuff and circling the kind of video
      projects they're considering throwing themselves into.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2009
        > And I finally remembered the name of the video host of old: ourmedia. Ive
        just been catching up with where this and some other sites have ended up,
        they are still alive but not exactly bursting with momentum or giving us
        much to talk about. Speaking of which, are some of the conversations that
        used to happen on this group now taking place on twitter or friendfeed or
        peoples blogs or other communities, or are they not happening much at all
        now? Its nice to see this group busier of late, and Im just a wondering how
        to get a sense of the state of things, everything is so fragmented and based
        on popularity or social connections >these days, Im a bit lost.

        It comes and goes. As you say, there are a lot more places where
        conversations are happening. Videoblogging has also become more and more
        ubiquitous.

        I still think we're in the new phase that is two-pronged:

        - Now that we have this great distribution mechanism for video, what
        video did we wanted to make in the first place? After three generations
        sucked in by broadcast TV, what do we want to say to each other now?
        - Much of online video is still based on the TV/film model (ie edited
        stories). Can we tell stories in different ways online?

        It's a pretty exciting time if you avoid getting overwhelmed. Anything you
        do could be the first time its been done.

        http://ryanishungry.com
        http://jaydedman.com
        http://twitter.com/jaydedman

      • sull
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2009
          "Anything you do could be the first time its been done." - Jay Dedman,
          October 2009

          On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

          > > And I finally remembered the name of the video host of old: ourmedia. Ive
          > just been catching up with where this and some other sites have ended up,
          > they are still alive but not exactly bursting with momentum or giving us
          > much to talk about. Speaking of which, are some of the conversations that
          > used to happen on this group now taking place on twitter or friendfeed or
          > peoples blogs or other communities, or are they not happening much at all
          > now? Its nice to see this group busier of late, and Im just a wondering how
          > to get a sense of the state of things, everything is so fragmented and
          > based
          > on popularity or social connections >these days, Im a bit lost.
          >
          > It comes and goes. As you say, there are a lot more places where
          > conversations are happening. Videoblogging has also become more and more
          > ubiquitous.
          >
          > I still think we're in the new phase that is two-pronged:
          >
          > - Now that we have this great distribution mechanism for video, what
          > video did we wanted to make in the first place? After three generations
          > sucked in by broadcast TV, what do we want to say to each other now?
          > - Much of online video is still based on the TV/film model (ie edited
          > stories). Can we tell stories in different ways online?
          >
          > It's a pretty exciting time if you avoid getting overwhelmed. Anything you
          > do could be the first time its been done.

          > http://ryanishungry.com
          > http://jaydedman.com
          > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
          > 917 371 6790

        • elbowsofdeath
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2009
            Hello,

            Thanks very much for the info, and thanks to Jay too for his thoughts.

            Cheers

            Steve