Re: [videoblogging] Keeping tapes

  • pepa garcía
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 27, 2009
      Chuck it all, Adam. It´s a very nice feeling. Do you know Las Fallas de
      Valencia? It´s a spanish celebration: they work all year long to make giant,
      beautiful, expensive sculptures with wood etc. and one night they set them
      alight. All in honor of St. Joseph, patron of carpenters.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FypDyGNyDyQ&feature=channel

      pepa garcía
      http://teleperra.tumblr.com
      http://pepa.tv
      http://twitter.com/pepa

      2009/9/28 Adam Quirk <quirk@...>

      > I get that same choking feeling. I feel the need to purge every once in a
      > while and start fresh. I just threw out a *lot* of old notebooks today, and
      > it felt good.
      > But the tapes I'm keeping. Boxed up and in the back of the closet where I
      > don't have to think about them until I move again.
      >
      > Thanks for the replies everyone.
      >

      > On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Brook Hinton <bhinton@...<bhinton%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > I think this differs wildly depending on who you are. Part of me feels
      > the
      > > way Jeffrey does... when it's other people's media. For my own, looking
      > at
      > > box of old tapes gives me a choking sensation. I try to discard whatever
      > > don't think will be useful for a future project, but I wait at least a
      > year
      > > to make that decision, since I find I don't really have enough
      > perspective
      > > to use material to its best advantage for at least that long after I've
      > > shot
      > > it/captured it/whatever.
      > >
      > > I even destroy masters occasionally, but I'm someone who sometimes
      > cringes
      > > when old work of mine shows up somewhere, so I'm probably not the best
      > > advice-giver here. I even throw away my notebooks every few years. My
      > > fantasy life involves not having to store anything, ever, and having
      > every
      > > tool I need to make music and video without compromise fit in a shoebox.
      > > I've just never made peace with the reality of Stuff.
      > >
      > > Given what Trace Garden was made of, this is total hypocrisy, I know.
      > >
      > > Brook

    • Pete Prodoehl
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 5, 2009
        I put my 20+ year old box of audio cassettes to good use...

        And you can see some of the results here:

        http://www.mkepunk.com/

        I consider myself an "archivist" and "documentarian" which are fancy
        words for "packrat" and "guy who doesn't throw things away... ever!"

        Sometimes you can only see the value of things later. Sometimes much later.

        Pete

        Adam Quirk wrote:
        > I'm in the middle of a move, and came across the box of mini-DV tapes I've
        > accumulated over the years. I'm seriously considering chucking it all.
        > Will I, or anyone, really ever want to watch two-hundred hours of random
        > clips from my life and work?
        >
        > There's a part of me that wants to keep everything, every second that I
        > shot. But there's another part of me that knows I already cut and uploaded
        > and shared the best parts of these tapes.
        >
        > I'm not really sure what I'm asking here, but you guys would probably have
        > the best insight into this sort of thing.
        >
        > AQ

      • Frank Carver
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
          2009/10/5 Pete Prodoehl <raster@...>
          > I put my 20+ year old box of audio cassettes to good use...
          > And you can see some of the results here:
          > http://www.mkepunk.com/

          That's really cool, Pete. Any idea on license terms for these MP3s, though?

          By implication they are free to listen, but is it OK to use them in
          derived works? Or commercial projects? Do you (or the original
          artists) want attribution? etc.

          Thanks,
          Frank.
        • Joly MacFie
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
            That's a really nice site Pete, beautifully put together!

            I myself just moved my studio and turned up a bunch of tapes from when
            I ran shoutcast streams around the turn of the century, I've been
            steadily podcasting them at

            http://wwwhatsup.com/streamola/

            after which they hit the dumper!

            joly

            On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Pete Prodoehl <raster@...> wrote:

            > I put my 20+ year old box of audio cassettes to good use...
            >
            > And you can see some of the results here:
            >
            >  http://www.mkepunk.com/
            >
            > I consider myself an "archivist" and "documentarian" which are fancy
            > words for "packrat" and "guy who doesn't throw things away... ever!"
            >
            > Sometimes you can only see the value of things later. Sometimes much later.
            >

            > Pete

            Joly MacFie 917 442 8665 Skype:punkcast
            WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
          • trine bjørkmann berry
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
              adam,
              someone like me will LOVE the fact you kept them.

              maybe, in 80 years time, when i finally get around to finishing my phd, I'll
              ask you for them. it'll be a historical project worth doing i think :)

              trine

              On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Joly MacFie <joly@...> wrote:

              > That's a really nice site Pete, beautifully put together!
              >
              > I myself just moved my studio and turned up a bunch of tapes from when
              > I ran shoutcast streams around the turn of the century, I've been
              > steadily podcasting them at
              >
              > http://wwwhatsup.com/streamola/
              >
              > after which they hit the dumper!
              >
              > joly
              >

              > On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Pete Prodoehl <raster@...<raster%40gmail.com>>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I put my 20+ year old box of audio cassettes to good use...
              > >
              > > And you can see some of the results here:
              > >
              > > http://www.mkepunk.com/
              > >
              > > I consider myself an "archivist" and "documentarian" which are fancy
              > > words for "packrat" and "guy who doesn't throw things away... ever!"
              > >
              > > Sometimes you can only see the value of things later. Sometimes much
              > later.
              > >

              > > Pete

              > Joly MacFie 917 442 8665 Skype:punkcast
              > WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com

            • John Coffey
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
                So glad that I still have all my home movies on VHS that I started shootin in 1983. Still look good moving them to DV now.

                JC

                Adam Quirk wrote:

                > I'm in the middle of a move, and came across the box of mini-DV tapes I've

                > accumulated over the years. I'm seriously considering chucking it all.

                > Will I, or anyone, really ever want to watch two-hundred hours of random

                > clips from my life and work?

                > There's a part of me that wants to keep everything, every second that I

                > shot. But there's another part of me that knows I already cut and uploaded

                > and shared the best parts of these tapes.

                > I'm not really sure what I'm asking here, but you guys would probably have

                > the best insight into this sort of thing.

                > AQ

              • Rupert Howe
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
                  Since you're too modest to post a link to your own videos, I will!

                  Here's the 1980s category from jchtv.com, for those in the mood for
                  some VHS nostalgia
                  http://www.jchtv.com/?cat=292

                  On 6-Oct-09, at 1:29 PM, John Coffey wrote:

                  > So glad that I still have all my home movies on VHS that I started
                  > shootin in 1983. Still look good moving them to DV now.
                  >
                  > JC

                • choco scamter
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
                    I still have tapes from my Public Access TV days back in Hawaii from the mid 90's. Am surprised how handsome I was then!

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
                      > I still have tapes from my Public Access TV days back in Hawaii from the mid 90's. Am surprised how handsome I was then!

                      Perfect example for digitizing and archiving on a blog.

                      http://ryanishungry.com
                      http://jaydedman.com
                      http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                      917 371 6790
                    • Pete Prodoehl
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 6, 2009
                        A few years back I tried really hard to get all the old bands I could
                        find to release their work under an open license, Creative Commons, etc.
                        but most of the people didn't understand that. So now I'm mostly feeding
                        files to another guy, who is locating band members (Facebook is useful
                        for this) to get permission. In many cases band give permission because
                        they don't even have digital copies!

                        The guy who hosts the site is ready and willing to pull down any files
                        if an old band member decides he doesn't want the stuff published.
                        Luckily, we're all pretty much a bunch of friends and cohorts who lost
                        touch with each other, so we're hoping it won't be an issue. Anything
                        I've been involved with I get permission from others to apply a proper
                        license.

                        Pete

                        Frank Carver wrote:
                        > 2009/10/5 Pete Prodoehl <raster@...>
                        >
                        >> I put my 20+ year old box of audio cassettes to good use...
                        >> And you can see some of the results here:
                        >> http://www.mkepunk.com/
                        >>

                        > That's really cool, Pete. Any idea on license terms for these MP3s, though?
                        >
                        > By implication they are free to listen, but is it OK to use them in
                        > derived works? Or commercial projects? Do you (or the original
                        > artists) want attribution? etc.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Frank.

                      • John Coffey
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 15, 2009
                          Thanks for the plug Rupert, seems ironic that this is one of the posts that ended up in my spam folder. I check it once a week and always find a handful of videobloggerss.
                          JC
                          Since you're too modest to post a link to your own videos, I will!

                          Here's the 1980s category from jchtv.com, for those in the mood for

                          some VHS nostalgia

                          http://www.jchtv com/?cat= 292

                          On 6-Oct-09, at 1:29 PM, John Coffey wrote:

                          > So glad that I still have all my home movies on VHS that I started

                          > shootin in 1983. Still look good moving them to DV now.

                          > JC

                          > --- On Mon, 10/5/09, Pete Prodoehl <raster@gmail. com> wrote:

                          > From: Pete Prodoehl <raster@gmail. com>

                          > Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Keeping tapes

                          > To: videoblogging@ yahoogroups. com

                          > Date: Monday, October 5, 2009, 12:01 PM

                          > I put my 20+ year old box of audio cassettes to good use...

                          > And you can see some of the results here:

                          > http://www.mkepunk com/

                          > I consider myself an "archivist" and "documentarian" which are fancy

                          > words for "packrat" and "guy who doesn't throw things away... ever!"

                          > Sometimes you can only see the value of things later. Sometimes much

                          > later.

                          > Pete

                          > Adam Quirk wrote:

                          > > I'm in the middle of a move, and came across the box of mini-DV

                          > tapes I've

                          > > accumulated over the years. I'm seriously considering chucking it

                          > all.

                          > > Will I, or anyone, really ever want to watch two-hundred hours of

                          > random

                          > > clips from my life and work?

                          > > There's a part of me that wants to keep everything, every second

                          > that I

                          > > shot. But there's another part of me that knows I already cut and

                          > uploaded

                          > > and shared the best parts of these tapes.

                          > > I'm not really sure what I'm asking here, but you guys would

                          > probably have

                          > > the best insight into this sort of thing.

                          > > AQ

                        • scott stead
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 15, 2009
                            Yeah! Thanks Rupert for posting the link JC's 80's vids. I had only seen one
                            or two of them so far - and don't visit enough! I love these. I wonder how
                            many folks have drawers of this stuff sitting around. I think it's
                            interesting - and John I'm glad you decided to revive them.

                            Ahhh glorious VHS 80's awesome-ocity.

                            --
                            Scott Stead
                            www.scottstead.com