Lomography's Ten Golden Rules

  • Rupert Howe
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 7, 2009
      While waiting for all my photos and videos to backup, I followed a
      link on Twitter from @kmog which took me to Lomography's Ten Golden
      Rules.

      Lomography is all about analogue photography.

      But I like the rules as inspiration for daily & mobile videoblogging.

      -

      http://www.lomography.com/about/the-ten-golden-rules
      1. Take your camera everywhere you go.

      2. Use it any time � day and night.

      3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but part of it.

      4. Try the shot from the hip.

      5. Approach the objects of your Lomographic desire as close as
      possible.

      6. Don�t think. (William Firebrace)

      7. Be fast.

      8. You don�t have to know beforehand what you captured on film.

      9. Afterwards either.

      10. Don�t worry about any rules.

      -

      And now my backup is done.

    • Stopnoise
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 7, 2009
        Rubert,

        Thank you so much for the links and opinion on the previous post.

        Great job!
        Thumbs up!

        SN\

        On Sep 7, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Rupert Howe wrote:

        > While waiting for all my photos and videos to backup, I followed a
        > link on Twitter from @kmog which took me to Lomography's Ten Golden
        > Rules.
        >
        > Lomography is all about analogue photography.
        >
        > But I like the rules as inspiration for daily & mobile videoblogging.
        >
        > -
        >
        > http://www.lomography.com/about/the-ten-golden-rules
        > 1. Take your camera everywhere you go.
        >
        > 2. Use it any time � day and night.
        >
        > 3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but part of it.
        >
        > 4. Try the shot from the hip.
        >
        > 5. Approach the objects of your Lomographic desire as close as
        > possible.
        >
        > 6. Don�t think. (William Firebrace)
        >
        > 7. Be fast.
        >
        > 8. You don�t have to know beforehand what you captured on film.
        >
        > 9. Afterwards either.
        >
        > 10. Don�t worry about any rules.
        >
        > -
        >
        > And now my backup is done.

        Stopnoise
        Broadcast Teaching
        stopnoise@...

      • Jan McLaughlin
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
          That's been my vlog manifesto for years.

          Nice to see it written down.

          Jan McLaughlin
          Production Sound Mixer
          air = 862-571-5334
          aim = janofsound
          skype = janmclaughlin

          On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

          > While waiting for all my photos and videos to backup, I followed a
          > link on Twitter from @kmog which took me to Lomography's Ten Golden
          > Rules.
          >
          > Lomography is all about analogue photography.
          >
          > But I like the rules as inspiration for daily & mobile videoblogging.
          >
          > -
          >
          > http://www.lomography.com/about/the-ten-golden-rules
          > 1. Take your camera everywhere you go.
          >
          > 2. Use it any time � day and night.
          >
          > 3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but part of it.
          >
          > 4. Try the shot from the hip.
          >
          > 5. Approach the objects of your Lomographic desire as close as
          > possible.
          >
          > 6. Don�t think. (William Firebrace)
          >
          > 7. Be fast.
          >
          > 8. You don�t have to know beforehand what you captured on film.
          >
          > 9. Afterwards either.
          >
          > 10. Don�t worry about any rules.
          >
          > -
          >
          > And now my backup is done.

        • stanhirson
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

            > While waiting for all my photos and videos to backup, I followed a
            > link on Twitter from @kmog which took me to Lomography's Ten Golden
            > Rules.
            >
            > Lomography is all about analogue photography.
            >
            > But I like the rules as inspiration for daily & mobile videoblogging.

            I've picked up a couple of Lomos on various trips to Russia a while ago and they are not only interesting as cameras, but as a spontaneous movement of collecting and sharing personal images. Not at all unlike some of our video blogging phiosophies. Interesting that Rupert found this!

            Stan Hirson
            http://PinePlainsViews.com
            http://Hestakaup.cocm
          • Michael Verdi
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
              I have a friend who's big into lomography -
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/scootiepye/ - her work is really
              beautiful.

              On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:02 PM, stanhirson <shirson@...> wrote:
              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> While waiting for all my photos and videos to backup, I followed a
              >> link on Twitter from @kmog which took me to Lomography's Ten Golden
              >> Rules.
              >>
              >> Lomography is all about analogue photography.
              >>
              >> But I like the rules as inspiration for daily & mobile videoblogging.
              >>
              > I've picked up a couple of Lomos on various trips to Russia a while ago and they are not only interesting as cameras, but as a spontaneous movement of collecting and sharing personal images.  Not at all unlike some of our video blogging phiosophies.  Interesting that Rupert found this!
              >
              > Stan Hirson
              > http://PinePlainsViews.com
              > http://Hestakaup.cocm

              Michael Verdi
              http://milkweedmediadesign.com
              http://michaelverdi.com
            • Rupert Howe
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
                Yes, it is - fantastic.
                I thought of that lomo aesthetic today when watching Robert Croma's
                new video
                http://robertcroma.com/2009/09/14/night-impromptu/

                He doesn't make them very often - this is the first for about six
                months - but he often takes a simple moment he's captured on the
                street and puts it through some postproduction, transforming what is
                already a wonderfully real human photographic moment into something
                even more affecting.

                Rupert
                http://twittervlog.tv

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 20, 2009
                  On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:
                  > While waiting for all my photos and videos to backup, I followed a
                  > link on Twitter from @kmog which took me to Lomography's Ten Golden
                  > Rules.
                  > Lomography is all about analogue photography.

                  Here's a video I found showing this style of shooting. (excuse annoying music)
                  http://videocloud.jeradsloan.com/golden_rules_of_lomography.mov
                  Its an advertisement for the specific camera.

                  http://ryanishungry.com
                  http://jaydedman.com
                  http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                  917 371 6790
                • Mike Meiser
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 20, 2009
                    Awesome to know I'm a lomographer as well. Well, a digital lomographer at
                    least by philosophy. But yes, every single one of those rules are rules I
                    aspire too.
                    I'd even add one.

                    11) quality doesn't matter... it's not about the HD or megapixels

                    We often get to obsessed wit the quality of our gear when we should be
                    obsessed with the convenience of our gear... i.e. the always having it with
                    you and read to capture anything.

                    I need to work more on being fast and not obsessing over composition / color
                    balance and what not.

                    -Mike

                    On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...>wrote:

                    > That's been my vlog manifesto for years.
                    >
                    > Nice to see it written down.

                    > Jan McLaughlin
                    > Production Sound Mixer
                    > air = 862-571-5334
                    > aim = janofsound
                    > skype = janmclaughlin
                    >

                    > On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > While waiting for all my photos and videos to backup, I followed a
                    > > link on Twitter from @kmog which took me to Lomography's Ten Golden
                    > > Rules.
                    > >
                    > > Lomography is all about analogue photography.
                    > >
                    > > But I like the rules as inspiration for daily & mobile videoblogging.
                    > >
                    > > -
                    > >
                    > > http://www.lomography.com/about/the-ten-golden-rules
                    > > 1. Take your camera everywhere you go.
                    > >
                    > > 2. Use it any time � day and night.
                    > >
                    > > 3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but part of it.
                    > >
                    > > 4. Try the shot from the hip.
                    > >
                    > > 5. Approach the objects of your Lomographic desire as close as
                    > > possible.
                    > >
                    > > 6. Don�t think. (William Firebrace)
                    > >
                    > > 7. Be fast.
                    > >
                    > > 8. You don�t have to know beforehand what you captured on film.
                    > >
                    > > 9. Afterwards either.
                    > >
                    > > 10. Don�t worry about any rules.
                    > >
                    > > -
                    > >
                    > > And now my backup is done.

                  • Mike Meiser
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 20, 2009
                      There is of course some background on Lomography on wikipedia as well.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomography

                      This reminds me of some other small movements I've seen... the so called
                      "cheap camera" movement, the cult "Jam Cam" groups based on a early very
                      crappy quality camera.

                      There is also the movement around the early Fisher Price super-8 camera... I
                      forget the name but others will no it.

                      Cameras often have interesting quirks, aesthetical issues or are just plain
                      good in particular arenas. I.E. Leica cameras do amazing color.

                      The "medium is the massage" as they say. :)

                      -Mike

                      On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

                      > On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:
                      > > While waiting for all my photos and videos to backup, I followed a
                      > > link on Twitter from @kmog which took me to Lomography's Ten Golden
                      > > Rules.
                      > > Lomography is all about analogue photography.
                      >
                      > Here's a video I found showing this style of shooting. (excuse annoying
                      > music)
                      > http://videocloud.jeradsloan.com/golden_rules_of_lomography.mov
                      > Its an advertisement for the specific camera.

                      > http://ryanishungry.com
                      > http://jaydedman.com
                      > http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                      > 917 371 6790

                    • Mike Meiser
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 20, 2009
                        There are also a number of Lomo groups on Flickr
                        http://www.flickr.com/groups/lomo/ - 20,000+ members!

                        http://www.flickr.com/groups/lomo_lc-a/ - states the "10 rules" on their
                        front page and expounds on them

                        My favorite concepts are "LOMOGRAPHY IS NOT AN INTERFERENCE IN YOUR LIFE,
                        BUT A
                        PART OF IT" and "Don't think. Lomography is the least intellectual pursuit
                        that you can imagine. You cannot plan ahead - you can only react on instinct
                        and feelings. Like a qualified buzz, Lomography liberates you from the
                        conventions of thought and consideration - opening your senses and allowing
                        you to act as a passionate moving extension"

                        I love this sentiment because I've heard it hear often. The (video) camera
                        doesn't get between conversations... the camera empowers you to approach
                        people and acts as a tool to focus you and them on what is important to you
                        both. This is particularly true in impromptu interviewing.... though I
                        personal need a lot of work integrating this theory into everyday life.

                        http://www.flickr.com/groups/lomosnap/ - The lomo snap game.

                        This last group is like a game of go fish... visually riff off other recent
                        lomo posts by posting your own like photos to explore themes and create
                        series based off similarities.

                        There are many other lomo groups on flickr, but these are three of the best
                        I see.

                        -Mike

                        On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Mike Meiser
                        <groups-yahoo-com@...>wrote:

                        > There is of course some background on Lomography on wikipedia as well.
                        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomography
                        >
                        > This reminds me of some other small movements I've seen... the so called
                        > "cheap camera" movement, the cult "Jam Cam" groups based on a early very
                        > crappy quality camera.
                        >
                        > There is also the movement around the early Fisher Price super-8 camera...
                        > I forget the name but others will no it.
                        >
                        > Cameras often have interesting quirks, aesthetical issues or are just plain
                        > good in particular arenas. I.E. Leica cameras do amazing color.
                        >
                        > The "medium is the massage" as they say. :)
                        >
                        > -Mike
                        >
                        > On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...>
                        >> wrote:
                        >> > While waiting for all my photos and videos to backup, I followed a
                        >> > link on Twitter from @kmog which took me to Lomography's Ten Golden
                        >> > Rules.
                        >> > Lomography is all about analogue photography.
                        >>
                        >> Here's a video I found showing this style of shooting. (excuse annoying
                        >> music)
                        >> http://videocloud.jeradsloan.com/golden_rules_of_lomography.mov
                        >> Its an advertisement for the specific camera.
                        >>
                        >> Jay
                        >>

                        >> --
                        >> http://ryanishungry.com
                        >> http://jaydedman.com
                        >> http://twitter.com/jaydedman
                        >> 917 371 6790

                      • Rupert Howe
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 20, 2009
                          Also, there's something wonderful about embracing the specific
                          qualities, aesthetics and limitations of lofi equipment.

                          Most people are trying to get the highest possible quality out of
                          their cheap or prosumer equipment, shooting by themselves. You can
                          sort of fake it - but even the most naive viewer knows what an
                          expensive and well-lit film looks like.

                          I've always preferred to go the other way - often you find you've
                          accidentally-on-purpose added extra layers of interest, truth and
                          immediacy to what you're shooting. I think this is why I keep coming
                          back to cellphones and point & shoots. And probably why after all
                          this time of thinking about it, I still haven't forked out for an HD
                          camera.

                          Rupert
                          http://twittervlog.tv

                          On 20-Sep-09, at 7:26 PM, Mike Meiser wrote:

                          > We often get to obsessed wit the quality of our gear when we should be
                          > obsessed with the convenience of our gear... i.e. the always having
                          > it with
                          > you and read to capture anything.
                          >
                          > I need to work more on being fast and not obsessing over
                          > composition / color
                          > balance and what not.
                        • Mike Meiser
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 21, 2009
                            Not to play devils advocate but I got a look at the Cannon EOS 5D Mark II.
                            At only $2500 that thing is a steal. Still, I won't be buying one anytime
                            soon.

                            This is more on topic though.

                            I'm waiting for someone to make digital backs... ccd's to fit old large
                            format cameras.

                            Imagine the possibility of rediscovering turn of the century optics. So much
                            fun could be had.

                            Haven't seen anything on the market yet, but haven't done much research.

                            -Mike