Re: basic editing of HD .mov files on a PC

  • kenyaoa
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2009
      Chad,

      Adobe Premiere Elements is a good option for what you want to do. It
      works with a variety of video formats in and out - and also a lot of
      ways to tweak the output formats. I've used it for a while and I like
      it. I don't know what features are missing between Adobe Premiere and
      the Elements version though. I also have it installed on two PCs.

      Kenya

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Chad Boeninger <cfboeninger@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks for the reply, Rupert. Another option is Adobe Premiere
      Elements,
      > which I can get at an educational discount. Has anyone had experience
      with
      > that? The advantage for me of Premiere Elements is that our license
      would
      > allow me to install it on my office machine and my home machine, where
      as
      > the Sony TOS states that it can only be installed on one machine.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Chad
      >
      > --
      > Chad F. Boeninger
      > libraryvoice.com - blog
      > libraryvoice.com/videos - videoblog
      > twitter.com/cfboeninger
      >
      > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Rupert Howe rupert@... wrote:
      >

      > > I would use Sony Vegas, even though it seems like overkill. You
      don't
      > > have to use all the bells and whistles.
      > > There isn't really an intermediate option between that and WMM, I
      > > don't think. And it's much better than WMM - even at simple tasks
      > > like importing clips, cutting them together and exporting the
      finished
      > > video in nice formats that aren't WMV.
      > >
      > > Rupert
      > > http://twittervlog.tv
      > >

      > > On 13-Aug-09, at 8:49 PM, Chad Boeninger wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > > I just got one of the new Canon Powershots, the SD 780 IS, and it
      > > > records in
      > > > 720p HD. I'm looking for a basic editor to stitch and trim clips.
      > > > generally use Movie Maker or the FlipShare software with my Flip
      > > > Mino and
      > > > Canon Elura 60, so I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Since
      > > > MovieMaker
      > > > won't take .mov files, what do you suggest? I've never used
      > > > Quicktime Pro,
      > > > and they don't have a trial. Would QT Pro have what I need? I
      mainly
      > > > post
      > > > to Blip.tv, so I don't really know if HD is that important to me
      at
      > > > the
      > > > moment, although I would like to get quality that is better than
      my
      > > > Flip
      > > > (which is why I bought the Powershot in the first place).
      > > >
      > > > I guess another option is to just use the 640x480 recording mode,
      > > > and then
      > > > convert the files to AVI with Quick Media Converter or Handbrake.
      > > > Converting the HD files to 720x480 AVI(or as close to 16:9 as you
      > > > can get)
      > > > works okay, and I am able to pull the files into MovieMaker.
      > > > However, I
      > > > lose the HD and there are some conversion artifacts. What are my
      other
      > > > options (buying a Mac or a new computer is out of the question) ?
      I've