Re: [videoblogging] Magma

  • RANDY MANN
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 5, 2009
      wow where did that hour go
      just what i need
      ill never be bored again

      i like it

      On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Roxanne Darling <okekai@...> wrote:

      > All good news Andrew. FWIW, I could not easily find a way to search
      > people. I tried to find Rupert to friend/follow him and could not -
      > except by seeing a link to him as a recent user and then using the
      > "follow" link under his profile pic. I know you are in beta - so
      > consider this just a usability tip.
      >
      > Rox
      >

      > On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Jim Turner<jturner@...<jturner%40onebyonemedia.com>>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > Would like to get this up on www.techstartups.com Andrew and would be
      > happy
      > > to arrange for the interview.
      > >
      > > Jim
      > >
      > > On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...<rupert%40twittervlog.tv>>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > >> Yes. The difference between viral and ephemeral popularity and a
      > >> sustained lower intensity.
      > >> Most of the people in this group have never been into producing the
      > >> kind of videos that will get shown here, because they're about
      > >> something different from the shocking/funny/gossipy X factor that
      > >> makes things virally explode.
      > >> But I think mag.ma is an elegant solution to those times when you want
      > >> to surf some funny popular videos (typically 9.05am and 4.55pm)

      > 40googlemail.com>>

      > 40rocketboom.com>

      > > Jim Turner
      > > One By One Media, LLC
      > > www.onebyonemedia.com
      > > www.bloggersforhire.com
      > > @Genuine
      > > this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

      > Roxanne Darling
      > "o ke kai" means "of the sea" in hawaiian
      > Join us at the reef! Mermaid videos, geeks talking, and lots more
      > http://reef.beachwalks.tv
      > 808-384-5554
      > Video --> http://www.beachwalks.tv
      > Company -- > http://www.barefeetstudios.com
      > Twitter--> http://www.twitter.com/roxannedarling

    • Andrew Darlow
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 5, 2009
        Hi Andrew:

        I just took a look and I think that the stats page is pretty amazing.
        The social media tracking is especially interesting.

        Here are a few questions/comments:

        1. I'm curious if the embed code link that you have is the same embed
        code as the one that, for example, YouTube offers (if it is a YouTube
        video).

        2. Under Explore>Twitter, what does it mean to "Follow a channel?" I
        clicked and it did not take me to Twitter's site to follow. Would a
        channel have to sync up with Twitter by starting a new Twitter account
        for it?

        3. On the about page, under Your Channel, it says "Click to add an off-
        site video." Does that mean that you'll be hosting content and
        handling bandwidth, or is that just for adding links to existing video
        that is online and being hosted elsewhere (with permission of course,
        and abiding by various sites' Terms of Service). I would think that
        the whole TOS thing will be a headache to deal with since you can't
        control from where people pull things in (or maybe you have a way to
        deal with that issue). I noticed on the Weird Al video that it reads
        "Embedding disabled by request."

        4: What does it mean if something "comes from Del.icio.us?" as it
        reads under some of the videos?

        By the way, the John Adams Visual FX (HBO) video that is featured
        (from YouTube) is amazing (be sure to click on "watch in HD").

        All the best,

        Andrew
        Andrew Darlow
        Editor, The Imaging Buffet
        http://www.imagingbuffet.com
        Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
        An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com

        On Aug 5, 2009, at 6:49 PM, andrew michael baron wrote:

        > Thanks Rupert. This is the best example of a reason why its good to
        > keep
        > things private while letting people use the site. I didnt even know
        > about
        > the limit on tags, you should be able to have a one or two character
        > tag, I
        > just add that to the bug fix list.
        > Thanks again!
        >

        > > On 5-Aug-09, at 9:14 PM, Andrew Baron wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hey all, just wanted to drop a line here with a new project Ive
        > been
        > > > working on called Magma.
        > > >
        > > > Unlike Rocketboom, which is essentially a content/production
        > studio,
        > > > Magma is a video platform and Im very, very excited about it. I
        > think
        > > > it fills an obvious void in the online video space, on a
        > potentially
        > > > very large scale.
        > > >
        > > > Having essentially pre-launched Rocketboom here on this list, I
        > wanted
        > > > to for sure return to my roots to get the word out and get your
        > > > sincere feedback before we go live in the next couple of weeks.
        > > >
        > > > We created a private invite code for the list, so if you would
        > like to
        > > > check it out, just use the code: VIDEOBLOGGING (all upper case) to
        > > > gain access to the site.
        > > >
        > > > http://mag.ma
        > > >
        > > > Thoughts?

        -

      • Rupert Howe
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 6, 2009
          Checking out the channels more. Good stuff. It'd be great if there
          were an option to make the videos in a channel auto play one after the
          other, like a regular playlist. The leanback watching experience is
          going to be hugely important and Magma is perfectly placed to take
          advantage of the massive integration of TV and internet that YouTube
          XL, Hulu and Boxee are preparing for. Did you thought about adding
          accessibility for remote control when designing the UI?

          Rupert

        • hamletphase
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2009
            Hey everyone, just wanted to post a link to a video on Magma. We have made some significant improvements to the site and its starting to catch on.

            In particular, we created an explainer video that outlines really well the features we have up and running so far:

            http://mag.ma/andrew/211919

            Thanks for having a look, we are always looking for feedback.

            Cheers,
            Andrew
          • Kevin Lim
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 1, 2009
              Andrew,
              Must say I really enjoyed your Rocketboom "Mag.ma explainer" video. It's
              like del.icio.us for online video.

              Kevin Lim
              Cyberculturalist
              http://theory.isthereason.com
              This email is: [ ] bloggable [X] ask first [ ] private
              email locator: ╔╗╔═╦╗ ║╚╣║║╚╗ ╚═╩═╩═╝

              On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM, hamletphase <andrew@...> wrote:

              > Hey everyone, just wanted to post a link to a video on Magma. We have made
              > some significant improvements to the site and its starting to catch on.
              >
              > In particular, we created an explainer video that outlines really well the
              > features we have up and running so far:
              >
              > http://mag.ma/andrew/211919
              >
              > Thanks for having a look, we are always looking for feedback.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Andrew

            • damiensomerset
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2009
                VERY, VERY, nice! I really love the focus on aggregated metrics. Great job Andrew!

                Damien Somerset
                damiensomerset@...
                http://DamienSomerset.com
                Current Project: http://ShiftLogic.org