Google acquires On2

  • Rupert Howe
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 5 7:02 AM
      Google have just bought On2, the video codec company

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/05/google_to_buy_on2/

      There is speculation that they will open source the On2 codecs, and
      use them on YouTube.

      Apparently Ogg is based on another On2 codec previously open sourced
      by them.

      They claim that their latest codecs are as good as h264, at the same
      bitrate.

      So I guess potentially this could be a win for open video and finally
      let all browsers choose a standard codec for use with HTML5.

      And I guess it'd be quickly adopted as the new web video standard.

      Having said all that, I'm not sure why Google would be motivated to
      open source it after paying 100 million for it, except for the greater
      good, to outflank adobe and microsoft and stick on in the eye to the
      potential patent problems with h264. I guess those are all good
      enough reasons. It's not like they paid real money for it anyway...

      Rupert
      http://twittervlog.tv
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 5 7:19 AM
        > Google have just bought On2, the video codec company
        > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/05/google_to_buy_on2/
        > There is speculation that they will open source the On2 codecs, and
        > use them on YouTube.
        > Apparently Ogg is based on another On2 codec previously open sourced
        > by them.
        > They claim that their latest codecs are as good as h264, at the same
        > bitrate.
        > So I guess potentially this could be a win for open video and finally
        > let all browsers choose a standard codec for use with HTML5.

        I was just speaking with a friend about how feasible it would be for a
        big company to adopt the Ogg codec.
        An apple engineer was on the list asking questions:
        http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2009-July/002415.html

        On2 open sourced the Ogg/Theora codec several years ago. Currently, it
        does really look good...though Verdi will say "as good as H264" is not
        good enough. Not enough reason to switch.

        But now that google bought On2, they can put some muscle behind
        development. Might give developers and hardware makers reason to
        include a free codec by default. Could be a way to avoid having to pay
        for Flash/MPEGLA fees. Difficult to know exactly what they'll do.

        http://ryanishungry.com
        http://jaydedman.com
        http://twitter.com/jaydedman
        917 371 6790
      • Jeffrey Taylor
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 5 8:36 AM
          If this move brings forth convergence and a stronger demand for FOSS codecs,
          which I think it will, then I'm very happy about this.

          --
          Jeffrey Taylor
          912 Cole St, #349

        • Andrew Baron
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 5 1:14 PM
            Hey all, just wanted to drop a line here with a new project Ive been
            working on called Magma.

            Unlike Rocketboom, which is essentially a content/production studio,
            Magma is a video platform and Im very, very excited about it. I think
            it fills an obvious void in the online video space, on a potentially
            very large scale.

            Having essentially pre-launched Rocketboom here on this list, I wanted
            to for sure return to my roots to get the word out and get your
            sincere feedback before we go live in the next couple of weeks.

            We created a private invite code for the list, so if you would like to
            check it out, just use the code: VIDEOBLOGGING (all upper case) to
            gain access to the site.

            http://mag.ma

            Thoughts?
          • Rupert Howe
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 5 1:53 PM
              Thanks for the invite.

              You're right - it's a great idea and does fill an obvious void. Now
              my youtube surfing procrastination will be much more efficient and
              last much longer.

              I imagine that people will see its benefits immediately, and it'll
              take off quickly.

              I hope the plague of YouTube and Digg hater comments doesn't spread,
              though. If you can find a way to control this, it'll be a much nicer
              way to surf the latest videos.

              The Add to Magma bookmarklet works well, too.

              Only problem i found was trying to add 'TV' as a tag/category - it
              demands a minimum of 3 characters.

              I presume your business plan is advertising-based. Where's the
              advertising going to go?

              Good luck with it!

              Rupert
              http://twitter.com/ruperthowe

              On 5-Aug-09, at 9:14 PM, Andrew Baron wrote:

              > Hey all, just wanted to drop a line here with a new project Ive been
              > working on called Magma.
              >
              > Unlike Rocketboom, which is essentially a content/production studio,
              > Magma is a video platform and Im very, very excited about it. I think
              > it fills an obvious void in the online video space, on a potentially
              > very large scale.
              >
              > Having essentially pre-launched Rocketboom here on this list, I wanted
              > to for sure return to my roots to get the word out and get your
              > sincere feedback before we go live in the next couple of weeks.
              >
              > We created a private invite code for the list, so if you would like to
              > check it out, just use the code: VIDEOBLOGGING (all upper case) to
              > gain access to the site.
              >
              > http://mag.ma
              >
              > Thoughts?

            • Frank Carver
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 5 2:05 PM
                2009/8/5 Andrew Baron <andrew@...>:
                > I wanted
                > to for sure return to my roots to get the word out and get your
                > sincere feedback before we go live in the next couple of weeks.

                Well, one thing struck me immediately. In with all the
                freely-available media there's a bunch of stuff from the restricted
                Hulu, un-watchable outside North America.

                While I can see why you have included it, I would *really* appreciate
                some way of telling from a thumbnail whether I might actually be able
                to watch the video, rather than having to play a guessing game and
                click through to the magma page for each video. IMHO an ethical
                aggregator should highlight unrestricted, community-sourced video, and
                at least warn viewers of potentially restricted sources.

                Otherwise it certainly looks interesting.

                Frank.
              • Roxanne Darling
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 5 2:32 PM
                  I signed up as well; thank you for letting us know about it Andrew.

                  My beef, having a well-loved show with longevity but not huge amounts
                  of traditional popularity, is a way to move beyond the algorithms of
                  popularity. Most of the video hosting sites show the most popular -
                  which become more popular because it's so easy to watch what is on the
                  home page. The "discovery" part gets diluted quickly in favor of the
                  mob. Videos that appeal to the 15-25 male demographic continue to rule
                  - they seem to have the most time to watch these and make them popular
                  by default. Looking at the top listings on Magma right now is enough
                  for me to think, "same old same old; no need to return."

                  Thank heaven the TED videos are on the home page however. But then I
                  already subscribe to them. :-)

                  I did try to add 3 BeachWalks,tv videos to the mix and got this error
                  on all three:
                  "This video could not be embedded at this time."

                  I'll be glad to help troubleshoot this with you unless you already
                  know what the problem is.

                  Aloha,

                  Rox

                  --
                  Roxanne Darling
                  Join us at the reef! Mermaid videos, geeks talking, and lots more
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 5 2:43 PM
                    Yes. The difference between viral and ephemeral popularity and a
                    sustained lower intensity.
                    Most of the people in this group have never been into producing the
                    kind of videos that will get shown here, because they're about
                    something different from the shocking/funny/gossipy X factor that
                    makes things virally explode.
                    But I think mag.ma is an elegant solution to those times when you want
                    to surf some funny popular videos (typically 9.05am and 4.55pm)

                  • andrew michael baron
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 5 3:40 PM
                      Thanks for the comments yall! The "top charts" part of Magma is just the
                      popular entry point. What Im most excited by is the potential for Magma to
                      become one of the most effective ways to find those obscure, off the beaten
                      track videos that no one is watching except you and your friends.
                      This happens through befriending, collecting and then sharing. Currently for
                      example, I follow 75 people on the site. When ever they add a new video to
                      their channel, it winds up in my dashboard. This is where I find the videos
                      from my friends, so these will tend to be the ones that I like the most.

                      Also, in time, there will likely be various people who curate a certain kind
                      of video, say for example, all soccer plays. If you love Soccer, you might
                      want to follow this person's channel to keep up with all the cool plays as
                      they happen.

                      On that note, I'd invite you to check out my personal collection of Japanese
                      videos:
                      http://mag.ma/andrew/Japan

                      ...as well as some of my favorite mashup videos:
                      http://mag.ma/andrew/Mashup

                      We are also finding videos by website. So if, for instance, you like
                      Boingboing a lot, we grab every blog post from Boingboing that links to a
                      video on their blog, on the Magma Boingboing channel:
                      http://mag.ma/channels/443

                      So aside form the majority of the people who will probably just hit the home
                      page, check out some "here-and-now" popular videos, and then bail, anyone
                      who wants to explore or discover new videos, may like this platform as a way
                      to find the most relevant ones.

                      Cheers!

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 5 3:44 PM
                        You are so right and we have IP detection on our priority list before public
                        roll out in order to select a nationally specific version that will exclude
                        any videos that are not available in your country. Thanks for the comment
                        Frank!
                        Andrew

                        On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Frank Carver <frank.carver@...>wrote:

                        > 2009/8/5 Andrew Baron <andrew@... <andrew%40rocketboom.com>>:
                        >
                        > > I wanted
                        > > to for sure return to my roots to get the word out and get your
                        > > sincere feedback before we go live in the next couple of weeks.
                        >
                        > Well, one thing struck me immediately. In with all the
                        > freely-available media there's a bunch of stuff from the restricted
                        > Hulu, un-watchable outside North America.
                        >
                        > While I can see why you have included it, I would *really* appreciate
                        > some way of telling from a thumbnail whether I might actually be able
                        > to watch the video, rather than having to play a guessing game and
                        > click through to the magma page for each video. IMHO an ethical
                        > aggregator should highlight unrestricted, community-sourced video, and
                        > at least warn viewers of potentially restricted sources.
                        >
                        > Otherwise it certainly looks interesting.
                        >
                        > Frank.

                      • andrew michael baron
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 5 3:49 PM
                          Thanks Rupert. This is the best example of a reason why its good to keep
                          things private while letting people use the site. I didnt even know about
                          the limit on tags, you should be able to have a one or two character tag, I
                          just add that to the bug fix list.
                          Thanks again!

                          On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for the invite.
                          >
                          > You're right - it's a great idea and does fill an obvious void. Now
                          > my youtube surfing procrastination will be much more efficient and
                          > last much longer.
                          >
                          > I imagine that people will see its benefits immediately, and it'll
                          > take off quickly.
                          >
                          > I hope the plague of YouTube and Digg hater comments doesn't spread,
                          > though. If you can find a way to control this, it'll be a much nicer
                          > way to surf the latest videos.
                          >
                          > The Add to Magma bookmarklet works well, too.
                          >
                          > Only problem i found was trying to add 'TV' as a tag/category - it
                          > demands a minimum of 3 characters.
                          >
                          > I presume your business plan is advertising-based. Where's the
                          > advertising going to go?
                          >
                          > Good luck with it!
                          >
                          > Rupert
                          > http://twitter.com/ruperthowe
                          >

                          > On 5-Aug-09, at 9:14 PM, Andrew Baron wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hey all, just wanted to drop a line here with a new project Ive been
                          > > working on called Magma.
                          > >
                          > > Unlike Rocketboom, which is essentially a content/production studio,
                          > > Magma is a video platform and Im very, very excited about it. I think
                          > > it fills an obvious void in the online video space, on a potentially
                          > > very large scale.
                          > >
                          > > Having essentially pre-launched Rocketboom here on this list, I wanted
                          > > to for sure return to my roots to get the word out and get your
                          > > sincere feedback before we go live in the next couple of weeks.
                          > >
                          > > We created a private invite code for the list, so if you would like to
                          > > check it out, just use the code: VIDEOBLOGGING (all upper case) to
                          > > gain access to the site.
                          > >
                          > > http://mag.ma
                          > >
                          > > Thoughts?

                        • Jim Turner
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 5 3:55 PM
                            Would like to get this up on www.techstartups.com Andrew and would be happy
                            to arrange for the interview.

                            Jim

                            On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > freely-available media there's a bunch of stuff from the restricted
                            > > > Hulu, un-watchable outside North America.
                            > > >
                            > > > While I can see why you have included it, I would *really*
                            > > appreciate
                            > > > some way of telling from a thumbnail whether I might actually be
                            > > able
                            > > > to watch the video, rather than having to play a guessing game and
                            > > > click through to the magma page for each video. IMHO an ethical
                            > > > aggregator should highlight unrestricted, community-sourced video,
                            > > and
                            > > > at least warn viewers of potentially restricted sources.
                            > > >
                            > > > Otherwise it certainly looks interesting.
                            > > >
                            > > > Frank.
                            > > >

                            > > --
                            > > Roxanne Darling
                            > > "o ke kai" means "of the sea" in hawaiian
                            > > Join us at the reef! Mermaid videos, geeks talking, and lots more

                            Jim Turner
                            One By One Media, LLC
                            www.onebyonemedia.com
                            www.bloggersforhire.com
                            @Genuine
                            this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

                          • Roxanne Darling
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 5 4:35 PM
                              All good news Andrew. FWIW, I could not easily find a way to search
                              people. I tried to find Rupert to friend/follow him and could not -
                              except by seeing a link to him as a recent user and then using the
                              "follow" link under his profile pic. I know you are in beta - so
                              consider this just a usability tip.

                              Rox

                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 5 4:51 PM
                                I didn't understand these extra levels of discovery from looking at
                                the site. I must have not read the Tutorial properly.
                                That's cool.

                              • RANDY MANN
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 5 4:52 PM
                                  wow where did that hour go
                                  just what i need
                                  ill never be bored again

                                  i like it

                                  On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Roxanne Darling <okekai@...> wrote:

                                  > All good news Andrew. FWIW, I could not easily find a way to search
                                  > people. I tried to find Rupert to friend/follow him and could not -
                                  > except by seeing a link to him as a recent user and then using the
                                  > "follow" link under his profile pic. I know you are in beta - so
                                  > consider this just a usability tip.
                                  >
                                  > Rox
                                  >

                                  > On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Jim Turner<jturner@...<jturner%40onebyonemedia.com>>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Would like to get this up on www.techstartups.com Andrew and would be
                                  > happy
                                  > > to arrange for the interview.
                                  > >
                                  > > Jim
                                  > >
                                  > > On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Rupert Howe <rupert@...<rupert%40twittervlog.tv>>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > >> Yes. The difference between viral and ephemeral popularity and a
                                  > >> sustained lower intensity.
                                  > >> Most of the people in this group have never been into producing the
                                  > >> kind of videos that will get shown here, because they're about
                                  > >> something different from the shocking/funny/gossipy X factor that
                                  > >> makes things virally explode.
                                  > >> But I think mag.ma is an elegant solution to those times when you want
                                  > >> to surf some funny popular videos (typically 9.05am and 4.55pm)

                                  > 40googlemail.com>>

                                  > 40rocketboom.com>

                                  > > Jim Turner
                                  > > One By One Media, LLC
                                  > > www.onebyonemedia.com
                                  > > www.bloggersforhire.com
                                  > > @Genuine
                                  > > this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

                                  > Roxanne Darling
                                  > "o ke kai" means "of the sea" in hawaiian
                                  > Join us at the reef! Mermaid videos, geeks talking, and lots more
                                  > http://reef.beachwalks.tv
                                  > 808-384-5554
                                  > Video --> http://www.beachwalks.tv
                                  > Company -- > http://www.barefeetstudios.com
                                  > Twitter--> http://www.twitter.com/roxannedarling

                                • Kath O'Donnell
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 5 6:48 PM
                                    thanks Andrew. sounds interesting
                                    maybe we need another vb project & then we can use the site and get a feel
                                    for it. (maybe I just need a project;)

                                  • Joly MacFie
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 5 9:37 PM
                                      http://twitter.com/#search?q=mag.ma

                                      seems a good way to keep up

                                      Couldn't there be some various topic or whatever based tweet accounts that
                                      posted adds?

                                    • Andrew Darlow
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 5 10:20 PM
                                        Hi Andrew:

                                        I just took a look and I think that the stats page is pretty amazing.
                                        The social media tracking is especially interesting.

                                        Here are a few questions/comments:

                                        1. I'm curious if the embed code link that you have is the same embed
                                        code as the one that, for example, YouTube offers (if it is a YouTube
                                        video).

                                        2. Under Explore>Twitter, what does it mean to "Follow a channel?" I
                                        clicked and it did not take me to Twitter's site to follow. Would a
                                        channel have to sync up with Twitter by starting a new Twitter account
                                        for it?

                                        3. On the about page, under Your Channel, it says "Click to add an off-
                                        site video." Does that mean that you'll be hosting content and
                                        handling bandwidth, or is that just for adding links to existing video
                                        that is online and being hosted elsewhere (with permission of course,
                                        and abiding by various sites' Terms of Service). I would think that
                                        the whole TOS thing will be a headache to deal with since you can't
                                        control from where people pull things in (or maybe you have a way to
                                        deal with that issue). I noticed on the Weird Al video that it reads
                                        "Embedding disabled by request."

                                        4: What does it mean if something "comes from Del.icio.us?" as it
                                        reads under some of the videos?

                                        By the way, the John Adams Visual FX (HBO) video that is featured
                                        (from YouTube) is amazing (be sure to click on "watch in HD").

                                        All the best,

                                        Andrew
                                        Andrew Darlow
                                        Editor, The Imaging Buffet
                                        http://www.imagingbuffet.com
                                        Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
                                        An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com

                                        On Aug 5, 2009, at 6:49 PM, andrew michael baron wrote:

                                        > Thanks Rupert. This is the best example of a reason why its good to
                                        > keep
                                        > things private while letting people use the site. I didnt even know
                                        > about
                                        > the limit on tags, you should be able to have a one or two character
                                        > tag, I
                                        > just add that to the bug fix list.
                                        > Thanks again!
                                        >

                                        > > On 5-Aug-09, at 9:14 PM, Andrew Baron wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > Hey all, just wanted to drop a line here with a new project Ive
                                        > been
                                        > > > working on called Magma.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Unlike Rocketboom, which is essentially a content/production
                                        > studio,
                                        > > > Magma is a video platform and Im very, very excited about it. I
                                        > think
                                        > > > it fills an obvious void in the online video space, on a
                                        > potentially
                                        > > > very large scale.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Having essentially pre-launched Rocketboom here on this list, I
                                        > wanted
                                        > > > to for sure return to my roots to get the word out and get your
                                        > > > sincere feedback before we go live in the next couple of weeks.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > We created a private invite code for the list, so if you would
                                        > like to
                                        > > > check it out, just use the code: VIDEOBLOGGING (all upper case) to
                                        > > > gain access to the site.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > http://mag.ma
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Thoughts?

                                        -

                                      • Rupert Howe
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 6 3:31 AM
                                          Checking out the channels more. Good stuff. It'd be great if there
                                          were an option to make the videos in a channel auto play one after the
                                          other, like a regular playlist. The leanback watching experience is
                                          going to be hugely important and Magma is perfectly placed to take
                                          advantage of the massive integration of TV and internet that YouTube
                                          XL, Hulu and Boxee are preparing for. Did you thought about adding
                                          accessibility for remote control when designing the UI?

                                          Rupert

                                        • hamletphase
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 1, 2009
                                            Hey everyone, just wanted to post a link to a video on Magma. We have made some significant improvements to the site and its starting to catch on.

                                            In particular, we created an explainer video that outlines really well the features we have up and running so far:

                                            http://mag.ma/andrew/211919

                                            Thanks for having a look, we are always looking for feedback.

                                            Cheers,
                                            Andrew
                                          • Kevin Lim
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Dec 1, 2009
                                              Andrew,
                                              Must say I really enjoyed your Rocketboom "Mag.ma explainer" video. It's
                                              like del.icio.us for online video.

                                              Kevin Lim
                                              Cyberculturalist
                                              http://theory.isthereason.com
                                              This email is: [ ] bloggable [X] ask first [ ] private
                                              email locator: ╔╗╔═╦╗ ║╚╣║║╚╗ ╚═╩═╩═╝

                                              On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM, hamletphase <andrew@...> wrote:

                                              > Hey everyone, just wanted to post a link to a video on Magma. We have made
                                              > some significant improvements to the site and its starting to catch on.
                                              >
                                              > In particular, we created an explainer video that outlines really well the
                                              > features we have up and running so far:
                                              >
                                              > http://mag.ma/andrew/211919
                                              >
                                              > Thanks for having a look, we are always looking for feedback.
                                              >
                                              > Cheers,
                                              > Andrew

                                            • damiensomerset
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Dec 2, 2009
                                                VERY, VERY, nice! I really love the focus on aggregated metrics. Great job Andrew!

                                                Damien Somerset
                                                damiensomerset@...
                                                http://DamienSomerset.com
                                                Current Project: http://ShiftLogic.org