Re: [videoblogging] vimeo is going to stop hosting source videos (starting August 1st)

  • Ron Watson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
      >> Just so we could have a discussion about it...why are you choosing to
      >> host all your own files?
      >> Why not depend on a free hosting service like Vimeo, blip, or
      >> Youtube?
      >> Is it because youve started a service and want people to upload
      >> videos
      >> directly to your site?

      I would like people to upload videos directly to the site and I want
      these videos connected to their account on my site.

      We've got notifications and an activity stream for a reason - moving
      outside the Joomla registration system by doing 3rd party uploads
      makes that more difficult. A single login is important as well.

      There is a 3rd party, Bip/Youtube solution built right into the
      social network application (JomSocial - http://jomsocial.com ), but
      that runs afoul of another requirement - control over advertising.

      I want to run ads for many small businesses that are involved with
      dog sport. Cheap, visible pre/mid/post and overlay.

      There is another video application that I've looked at that uses the
      JW player, and I'm intrigued with the ad capabilities of Longtail,
      but it's a lot of work to configure and administrate, and then
      there's the cost of a beefy server to stream the content.

      I was just thinking about how cool it would be to have a Blip Multi
      User kind of a set up - essentially a channel for communities like
      mine - a K9Athlete Network. I could book advertising and control the
      distribution of it. I'd love that! The Blip player just rocks!

      That's essentially what Infinovision is doing, btw, creating a multi-
      user network on Amazon S3. JVideo is the application controlling that
      network in my CMS. Advertising and branding are/will be available in
      the paid subscription service - it's my application under my control.

      Thanks for the discussion. It's helpful to think about, for sure.

      peace,
      Ron